1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Paypal chargeback.How to handle,What to do?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by JEET, Oct 18, 2006.

Hello,
    I have never dealt with a chargeback before. This is the first time, please help me.
    On july 12 2006 a script was sold from my site, download sent twice from 2 different emails of mine. Today I got an email from paypal that that sale is being disputed on.
    Says "Unauthorised". What to do?

Please help me take required action so I don't have to send back the funds, as I have already sent the product.
    Thank you.

JEET, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  2. tr0nic

tr0nic Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you can prove the product was sent then you should send that proof to paypal.

Perhaps a screenshot of each sent email if you've got them saved still. That would be pretty much the only way to get around the chargeback.

tr0nic, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  3. ablaye

ablaye Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There isn't much you can do. Accept the liability and move on.

ablaye, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  4. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The chargeback at once in your resolution center.

It is a 50-50 crap shoot with paypal as to whether they will take the money from your account, or not.

iowadawg, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  5. tschrock

tschrock Peon

Best Answers:
    The ONLY time PayPal will send a chargeback your way is when someone sent THEM a chargeback. For example:

You sold a product to a guy online. He paid with Paypal. That means that the money went from his bank account, to PayPal, and from PayPal to you (less a transaction fee).

Then later the guy goes to his bank and says what is this PayPal thing? I never authorized this to come out of my account. His bank demands that PayPal return the money. PayPal has no choice but to do so, and then they take the money from you.

You can prove all you want to PayPal, but PayPal has already dolled out the $$ to the guy's bank and they are done with it. No matter what you send them, there is a 99.9% chance you will not get your money back.

PayPal maintains that they are simply an intermediary acting as a conduit between you and the buiyer - they never provide a product to anyone. As such, they are not obligated to refund any money to you that has been taken from them.

Feel free to go through their dispute resolution process, but now that the guy has his money back, the only way you will get it again is if you convince him to send it again. Your only other recourse is to sue him in court for the money owed, however the online transactions are typically not large enough to make that cost effective and worthwhile.

Sorry. I have been there too. The best thing you can do is blackball the buyer online so others don't make the same mistake.

tschrock, Oct 18, 2006 IP
    montux likes this.
  6. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks to all. There's another problem. I don't have those emails stored I sent with download links. They were in "sent Item" folder, and it's empty now...
    Tracking of payment etc. was done by paypal, download sent after notification email, so I don't have something to proof that I sent a download.

What about the return policy? I don't have a legally written policy, but the buyer must check a box before they can see a paypal button. The box says:

"I have read and understand the disclaimer, and privacy policy. I also understand that this product is non-refundable".
    When they click it, the paypal button shows to buy.
    Would that be good enough to stop the chargeback?

I don't want to accept the liability, because I have already given the product purchased, and now don't want to give back the cost of it...
    Thanks for the help. :)

JEET, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  7. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You mean to say that the money is already sent from paypal's pocket and now they want me to pay them back.
    That would leave me with no options...

JEET, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  8. PayItForward

PayItForward Peon

Best Answers:
    If they file a dispute with PayPal(and not their credit card company) you could put the words "INTANGIBLE ITEM" as the UPS shipping code, then give them a call and you would get your money back.

Unfortunately, an unauthorized transaction dispute means their bank is calling the shots and you can't much of anything about it.

PayItForward, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  9. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, Thank you all. Honestly appreciate your help.
    I will give them a call and see if the chargeback can be stopped, else will let it go and move on...
    Bye

JEET, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  10. fathom

fathom Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not a chance... in fact PayPal isn't 'really' involved. Would believe this is a code 30 and being dealth at a bank level (the banks of the puchaser and PayPal's bank).

PayPal is the merchant in the instance and "already lost the claim"... whatever institution has already been reimbursed.

You are pretty much stuck with the decision.

fathom, Oct 19, 2006 IP
  11. perdrix

perdrix Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Jeet,

I've found with my scripts that having a policy by which you send only to "verified" account holders at PayPal, will help prevent chargebacks. Since your item is a script, you should normally be dealing with webmasters online, and most of them should be able to verify themselves to PayPal.

perdrix, Oct 19, 2006 IP
  12. alsjforever

alsjforever Guest

Best Answers:
    paypalsucks.com

alsjforever, Oct 19, 2006 IP
  13. bunbunx2

bunbunx2 Peon

Best Answers:
    nothing much u can do with paypal chargeback, the person probably fraud or his account got hijacked.

bunbunx2, Apr 22, 2009 IP
  14. cgoulart

cgoulart Active Member

Best Answers:
    Paypal chargeback is a losing situation, no real way to win this one.

cgoulart, Apr 22, 2009 IP