1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's the point of Digg when even an Interesting Story Can't Make it to the 1st Page

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by tankard, Mar 25, 2011.

Hi guys,

A bit of a rant here. After a long pause I decided to try it on Digg again. I did it all differently this time and hey... two of my stories had around 200 real diggs and even some comments but alas, they never made it on the first page.

I've just checked the top pages of various Digg categories and there are stories with 60 - 70 diggs there. So how come my story with 200 diggs doesn't appear on the first page?

Do you know any insider information? So, what's the game - do I have to be a Republican, a democrat, write about Macs, bash Microsoft, like Firefox, hate Explorer... or what? What does it take to make it on Digg? Because obviously being interesting and funny is not enough :(

/rant finishes/

tankard, Mar 25, 2011 IP
    China_girl likes this.
  2. RankingDomination

RankingDomination Peon

Best Answers:
    It isn't just the amount of Diggs which gets you front page. You need a good ratio of comments to diggs, and it also gets MANUALLY reviewed so if the mods dont find it interesting on a personal level, they won't approve it for front page.

RankingDomination, Mar 25, 2011 IP
  3. Oceanus

Oceanus Member

Best Answers:
    I haven't had a lot of success with Digg either, its gotten me a few hits here and there but in my mind, I'm doing it to improve my SEO in the long run.

Oceanus, Mar 25, 2011 IP
  4. sleuth1

sleuth1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digg is passed it's time don't you think, does anyone use it seriously anymore?

sleuth1, Mar 26, 2011 IP
  5. CodeMaster1233

CodeMaster1233 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    CodeMaster1233, Mar 27, 2011 IP
  6. tankard

tankard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess you're right, guys. I will need to get on and forget about Digg. I still think that people are using Digg. I'm getting a few hundred visitors per month from digg, stumble and other large socials (not counting TW and FB). Not that any of the traffic converts but still... a few hundred is a few hundred. Imagine how much would I get if them ba*tards approved my stories for the 1st page! Will have to try to write something about politics, Macs, Miley Cyrus or Firefox (i.e. things that I openly dislike LOL!!!)

tankard, Mar 29, 2011 IP
  7. Beatriz Cruz

Beatriz Cruz Guest

Best Answers:
    Digg is useful in getting indexed but getting it into the first page is really hard as explained by our folk here. It is fine even if you dont make it to page one as long as the traffic is still pouring in with their help.

Beatriz Cruz, Mar 31, 2011 IP
  8. samtaylorseo

samtaylorseo Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Digg is still essential, even if it doesn't have the same impact as it used to, the question is 'What comes after Digg?'

samtaylorseo, Mar 31, 2011 IP
  9. JakeSmithOZ

JakeSmithOZ Member

Best Answers:
    digg isnt the same as before where you get good stuffs..i used to like it

JakeSmithOZ, Mar 31, 2011 IP
  10. BizSeo

BizSeo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Ya I wouldn't spend much time on Digg anymore, however it helps for backlinking.

BizSeo, Mar 31, 2011 IP
  11. JC007

JC007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Using Digg is just waste of time. I think there is a monopoly around it, which control all the front page. I had like 200+ Diggs in one article but no traffic at all

JC007, Mar 31, 2011 IP
  12. dimasis

dimasis Peon Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Diggs only good feature now is backlinking, but i think its dying like myspace

dimasis, Apr 4, 2011 IP
  13. tankard

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your comments.

emh... and how does that work? Can you elaborate on it a bit more? I thought Digg was nofollow...

tankard, Apr 9, 2011 IP
  14. VOnline

VOnline Member

Best Answers:
    VOnline, Apr 9, 2011 IP
  15. tankard

Best Answers:
    Lol, great read. Thank you for that.

It made me love my PC even more :)

tankard, Apr 11, 2011 IP
  16. China_girl

China_girl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Frankly it depends on which category you post your article and what is the theme of it. I guess now if you need traffic from digg you have to do the same what I am doing now-a-days for facebook fan pages, 'Viral Marketing'. Try to post some attractive image with some catchy title and a short content, you will definitely get more and more diggs. Infact you will even come on the first page as desired ;)

Well IMO, 200 real diggs is not bad at all, do not stop posting your articles in diggs, those diggers are also real people. Just try to innovate the way you have been digging till now and watch the results ;)
    Hope that helps !!!

China_girl, Apr 11, 2011 IP