1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can I redirect my page?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by p0ppers23, Mar 20, 2011.

Hello, I am renovating one of my sites and Im going to have to change the name of the page which has over 100 links and where much of my traffic is generated. What can I do?

For example, cars.com/automobiles.html But I need to change that to cars.com/anythingonwheels

p0ppers23, Mar 20, 2011 IP
  2. saqib889

saqib889 Peon

Best Answers:
    redirect it simply if you are using cPanel?

saqib889, Mar 20, 2011 IP
  3. diyakapoor

diyakapoor Active Member

Best Answers:
    Use 301 redirect to redirect all the link value to your new page

diyakapoor, Mar 21, 2011 IP
  4. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sure, you can, with a 301 redirect using php - that way, your link juice passes over to your new page.
    of course new-url.com would become your new link.

ForgottenCreature, Mar 21, 2011 IP
  5. mars9168

mars9168 Peon

Best Answers:
    You could redirect your site by using a .htaccess file.

mars9168, Mar 21, 2011 IP
  6. mye-corporation

mye-corporation Peon

Best Answers:
    mye-corporation, Mar 21, 2011 IP
  7. stevepaul

stevepaul Peon

Best Answers:
    Why you want to change the page name? If you are going to redesign then no need to change the name. If you are changing your hosting server and changing domain name then it's fine. You can redirect your all back links. Don't worry about the work you have done don't waste.

stevepaul, Mar 21, 2011 IP
  8. p0ppers23

p0ppers23 Peon

Best Answers:
    The reason I need to change a specific page, is because before my website was a crappy template site which I didnt have much control over (including the URL of the page).

p0ppers23, Mar 22, 2011 IP
  9. Grobbulus

Grobbulus Peon

Best Answers:
    301 redirect method explained above is the safest method so that you don't lose any of the link value. Just need to set it up correctly.

Grobbulus, Mar 22, 2011 IP
  10. faysal969

faysal969 Member

Best Answers:
    faysal969, Mar 22, 2011 IP
  11. aileenwuornos

aileenwuornos Peon

Best Answers:
    301 redirection is best way to redirect your page, you can't loose your traffic.

aileenwuornos, Mar 22, 2011 IP
  12. onliners2312

onliners2312 Peon

Best Answers:
    I recomended this. .:),with 301 moved permanently. your traffic from old page will redirected to your new page .:)

good luck. .

onliners2312, Mar 22, 2011 IP
  13. denverice

denverice Peon

Best Answers:
    denverice, Mar 23, 2011 IP
  14. RumpledElf

RumpledElf Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And I did a 301 redirect and have lost the majority of my traffic for about 3 weeks now, starting from about 3 days after the redirect. So I don't believe any of it. Its starting to come back but I'm barely at 1/3 of where I was teh day of the redirect.

RumpledElf, Mar 23, 2011 IP
  15. rwsseo

rwsseo Peon

Best Answers:
    I think 301 redirection is best option for you.

rwsseo, Mar 24, 2011 IP
  16. diggathedog

diggathedog Peon

Best Answers:
    @RumpledElf whether or not the page has been redireted with a 301 won't affect it's traffic, though it's conceiveable that during a very brief transition window in SE databases (replacement of old link with new) that there might be some hit. Is it possible that external factors have influenced the drop in measured traffic (or that you're not measuring the right page)?

diggathedog, Mar 25, 2011 IP
  17. John_Marshal

John_Marshal Peon

Best Answers:
    as all other member says the same i really stick to the url redirect but if you only want to change the url then you should take in mind that the seo friendly urls are more catchy. instead of automobiles you could put automobile-countryname-price(if possible). try it...

John_Marshal, Mar 25, 2011 IP
  18. RumpledElf

RumpledElf Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have two sites - one had about 300 pages that I haven't updated since 2007 and is full of uncorrected errors. I forked off a copy and made a *much* better version in 2009 with lots more features, 3000 pages (and growing) but left the old version up as it looks completely different.

Then along comes Panda and decides that because 300 pages overlap and the old site is so old, that apparently my old site needs to rank at #1 and have 15k visitors a day. So the visitors complained, and I bit the bullet and redirected the crap old site to the good new one. Cue huge traffic crash and my CPC dropped from 20c to 3c. Its been YEARS since my adsense has been below $2 a day :(

Both sites are PR 4 now (last PR update the new one went up and the old one didn't), both have DMOZ entries, same niche, same audience, new one is rapidly picking up backlinks while the old one doesn't anymore, but Google thinks the old site is some kind of uber authority site and my new one is the lowest of the low spam sites, apparently. Hopefully Google eventually gets its head out of its proverbial a**, realises what is going on and combines the link juice of the two now one redirects to the other.

I was NOT expecting the old site to be deranked from #1 to #100 3 days after I put the redirect in place. Everything I read says permanent redirects aren't meant to do that.

Edit: attached webmaster tools since the day of the redirect, just to show how ouch the drop was.
    post-redirect.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
    RumpledElf, Mar 25, 2011 IP
  19. nick3593

nick3593 Peon

Best Answers:
    yes 301 redirection is the best method here.

nick3593, Mar 25, 2011 IP
  20. diggathedog

diggathedog Peon

Best Answers:
    @RumpledElf I see what you mean, and understand how you may well have felt (more than just a little) rumpled by that ;) I'd be interested to hear others' experiences, particularly under a schema that's a little more traditional (you didn't redirect for 2 years, if I understand correctly). It seems logical to assume that Google didn't "like" the site it saw as a "copy", and that the redirect from a "trusted" original source to what for two years had been seen as a younger upstart (copy) lead to the copy retaining its standing, rather than the 301 replacing the authority/position of the 2nd site with that of the first. (poorly expressed, sorry, but you get what I mean, right?) 301s (and by extension search engine's hanling of them) are designed with new sites in mind, perhaps they aren't willing or able to factor in a scenario like yours?

diggathedog, Mar 28, 2011 IP