1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How am I supposed to get payed as a freelance web designer?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by legolug90, Mar 20, 2011.

Hello!
    I'm only 16 years old and I want to start freelancing as a web designer using sites like freelance.com, odesk.com, etc.
    Considering my age how can I be payed for my services?
    Also I'm thinking of starting my own website where clients can see my recent work and contact me in order to discuss the prices and details about the projects. What legal issues should I think about? Please point me to some links/ articles explaining the legal part of freelancing.

legolug90, Mar 20, 2011 IP
  2. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can start by advertising your services on sites like this one
    How to get paid? Paypal doesn't have an age requirement (IIRC they don't anyways).

twhiting9275, Mar 20, 2011 IP
  3. MattSanti

MattSanti Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Also you can go to local craigslist listings of businesses and contact them directly. You could show them some examples of sites that you have done in the past and see if they are willing to work with you.

MattSanti, Mar 20, 2011 IP
  4. hitmanleaks

hitmanleaks Peon

Best Answers:
    And IIRC paypal does have an age requirement where you must be 18. Maybe it depends where you're from, I dunno.

He'd be better off advertising locally, such a the previously mentioned craigslist. Just watch out for competition if you're posting your own ad, they'd be more than happy to flag you for no reason.

hitmanleaks, Mar 20, 2011 IP
  5. NizuHosting

NizuHosting Peon

Best Answers:
    I do believe you're supposed to be 18 to sign up. However, I remember seeing a new students account thing a while back, which I'm sure his parents could sign him up for.

However, as stated, PayPal is pretty much the primary and most effective and efficient way of processing payments online.

NizuHosting, Mar 20, 2011 IP
  6. karthimx

karthimx Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    better to use your brother or father account until you are 18.

karthimx, Mar 21, 2011 IP
  7. msinfo

msinfo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Use your parent as a co-applicant. Just as an FYI Paypal is NOT the most cost effective way of processing payments onlnie if you're doing over a couple grand a month - their rates is higher than what you can get on your own percentage wise and the only thing that they help you save on is the monthly fee primarily. Paypal would be a good start for you but as you see more work you'll notice that the flat rate higher percentage does add up and it costs you more in the long run. Features are also limited unless you switch to their virtual terminal which costs you $30 per month (while merchant accounts can cost around $20 - cheaper).

Start with Paypal but keep in mind that there is a really good reason why most mid-larger sites still offer credit card as a payment method and paypal as an option as well - if Paypal were the end all be all then everyone would only offer paypal. Just about Everyone can use their credit/debit card but not everyone has Paypal or is comfortable using it. Keep that in mind for future reference as your needs grow. But start with Paypal.

msinfo, Mar 21, 2011 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Bear in mind that you are a "minor" and that affects the contracts that you can sign into.

You will need to sow clients that you have the maturity to work to deadlines and also to understand the subtleties that make one design cool and another crass.

sarahk, Mar 21, 2011 IP
  9. Justin_Dupre

Justin_Dupre Peon

Best Answers:
    Set up a Paypal account is probably the best way to do this freelance online. Don't worry much about legal issue if you aren't doing anything wrong with copyright or trademark. Many people your age already making tons through their legit service.

Justin_Dupre, Mar 22, 2011 IP
  10. Frankrock

Frankrock Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with one poster above, you're better off starting locally. Instead of them contacting you, why not you contact them, pay them a visit. There are small to medium enterprises that might need your services or you offer them the prospect of marketing their business online.

Frankrock, Mar 22, 2011 IP
  11. ogle

ogle Peon

Best Answers:
    Age does not matter in any field of skill. You can go on, make paypal account and enjoy. If somewhere age is a problem, you can use others persons on behalf of yourself. :)

ogle, Mar 23, 2011 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Experience comes over time and gives you better judgement of what works and what doesn't from a commercial point of view.

sarahk, Mar 23, 2011 IP
  13. gotlivechat

gotlivechat Member

Best Answers:
    Are there age requirements/restrictions for the freelance sites as well? I have to think there's at least a minimum age...

gotlivechat, Mar 23, 2011 IP
  14. increase2011

increase2011 Peon

Best Answers:
    Paypal is the easiest method and the most widely known. In terms of age you can get your parent to help you. Good luck!

increase2011, Mar 23, 2011 IP
  15. samtaylorseo

samtaylorseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Ask around local businesses to design their website for free, build up a reputation and a portfolio. Then once you're known in the area and have proof that you can design high quality websites start charging for the service.

samtaylorseo, Mar 23, 2011 IP
  16. benc811

benc811 Peon

Best Answers:
    yea use paypal for your payments and craigslist to find clients to start.

benc811, Mar 23, 2011 IP
  17. John@Plymbridge

John@Plymbridge Peon

Best Answers:
    Start small and work up from there.

There are design competitions on this forum. Worth entering - nothing to lose - and you get feedback.

John@Plymbridge, Mar 23, 2011 IP