1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Got Domain, Got Hosting, got WP, got no idea!

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by cash*converter, Feb 12, 2011.

Hi guys, just bought the hatchling plan, got my domain, installed W.Press via Hostgator C.Panel... but when I go to my domain, I just get a godaddy ads page advertising their stuff.

Should I not have a blank wordpress site that I can log into?

Help appreciated, thanks

cash*converter, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  2. kittyluver

kittyluver Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Have you updated your details in webhosting cpanel?

kittyluver, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  3. cash*converter

cash*converter Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, thanks for the advice - do you mean in WP, or hostgator?

I found something on wordpress, do I need to pay $12?

On WordPress.com, you can use a domain that you already own, such as example.com, instead of your blog’s default address, like example.wordpress.com. This is called Domain Mapping. Your old WordPress.com address will still work, but we will automatically redirect traffic from your old address to your new one.

Domain Mapping is a paid upgrade that costs $12 per domain, per blog, per year. You can map as many domains as you want to one blog, but you have to pay for each domain separately.

cash*converter, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  4. kiramanic

kiramanic Peon

Best Answers:
    Your hosting is with Hostgator, but I suspect your domain was bought from Godaddy. You need to change the "nameservers" in your domain settings (in your control panel on the Godaddy site). Basically it links the domain to the hosting. You should have an email from Hostgator with nameservers in but if not their live chat people are always happy to help.

Oh yes about the wordpress.com thing....

A wordpress.com blog is hosted by WordPress, you have limited control over it and have to pay for more flexibility. What you have is a self-hosted version, also known as a wordpress.org blog. This means it's all yours and you can tinker with it as much as you like.

kiramanic, Feb 12, 2011 IP
    Steven Gliebe likes this.
  5. Steven Gliebe

Steven Gliebe Peon

Best Answers:
    Surely that is the solution. Your domain is "parked" by GoDaddy which is the default behavior until you specify your host's nameservers.

Steven Gliebe, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  6. galipellisatyanarayana

galipellisatyanarayana Active Member

Best Answers:
    You will find domain settings in your hosting. There you have to update the name servers to your webhosting place.

galipellisatyanarayana, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  7. web-hosting

web-hosting Peon

Best Answers:
    did you change you name servers to point to host-gator servers? looks like your domain is still parked still in Go Daddy

Your web host would have given the name servers of the server space you had got from them, update them on your domain control ( inside Go Daddy control panel)

web-hosting, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  8. gags85

gags85 Peon

Best Answers:
    log in to your godaddy account and change the name servers pointing them to your hosting .To get the name server details log in to your cpanel that hostgator has provided and in extreme left you will find the name servers something like(ns1..........com and ns2.........com) copy them and paste it to your godaddy account and you should be fine

gags85, Feb 15, 2011 IP
  9. Steven Gliebe

Steven Gliebe Peon

Best Answers:
    And it can take a few hours for the changes to propagate after you set your host's nameservers, so don't worry if your site still shows the GoDaddy parking immediately after applying the changes.

Steven Gliebe, Feb 15, 2011 IP
  10. Nithiyaah

Nithiyaah Peon

Best Answers:
    As said by others, you need to change your dns settings for your domain. After changing the dns settings, it will take up for 24-48 hours to show your real site. However, you can visit your actual site by typing in your site's IP address and you can find it from your welcome email that was sent by Hostgator. Hope this will helps you.

Nithiyaah, Feb 15, 2011 IP
  11. genie123101

genie123101 Peon

Best Answers:
    I get directed to changing my domain by way of subscribing through them by way of payment. This is quite heartbreaking. I do hope WP would be free of charge regarding this matter.

genie123101, Feb 18, 2011 IP
  12. mim24

mim24 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    go to hostgator live chat ask them. they will give u the best answer.

mim24, Feb 19, 2011 IP
  13. cash*converter

cash*converter Peon

Best Answers:
    OK thanks guys got that sorted, now upgraded to the Baby Plan and I want to add my new site/domain

I have added it via Addon Domains in HostGator C Panel,

Do I use the same nameservers as my original site - EG change on godaddy to Hostgator nsv'rs?

cash*converter, Mar 18, 2011 IP
  14. arunbasillal

arunbasillal Peon

Best Answers:
    change on godaddy to HG name servers and wait for a few hours. that should do.

arunbasillal, Mar 19, 2011 IP
  15. kiramanic

kiramanic Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes as long as they're all on the same hosting account just use the exact same nameservers for each domain :)

kiramanic, Mar 19, 2011 IP