1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PR v/s Ranking

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by narendra, Oct 18, 2006.

Hi ppl,

I am very much confused, thinking about the relation between PageRank and Site Ranking.
    my confusion started when I found some sites ranking in google top10 for some keywords with a lesser PRs like 1,2. and even with 0 PR.
    If Ranking has nothing to do with PR then why are we after getting links and listings on other sites.

Can sombody explain me the relation between these two things ??

narendra, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  2. Indian

Indian Peon

Best Answers:
    Page Rank is one of the various criterion that rank you high for a keyword on Google.

Indian, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  3. narendra

narendra Peon

Best Answers:
    thanx,
    But then wat about those sites which do not have any PR but still on the top pages in google ??

4. Indian

Indian Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe they are strong in other factors that affect good ranking.

Indian, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  5. William Martin

William Martin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Page rank has nothing to do with ranking whatsoever. It's a waste of time, and is only useful for people selling links to people who won't know what they are talking about.

Oooooh - i'll have a PR5 please!

William Martin, Oct 18, 2006 IP
    Mong and Crazy_Rob like this.
  6. narendra

narendra Peon

Best Answers:
    Do u mean that trying for higher PR is does not helps in ranking ?

7. Indian

Indian Peon

Best Answers:
    That would be true only if you are not targetting your keyword.

Indian, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  8. Blogspotter

Blogspotter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The relation is thus, Ranking and page rank are very different though the concepts are similar. You get good pagerank if you get good incoming links, and you get good rank if you get good links...

You will get a good Pagerank if you get any good links ( good pr links), but you might not get any ranking for a particular keyword or phrase if all the links are not related that keyword. It will enhance the PR nonetheless.

How are the links and SERP rank related?
    The link has to come from a site that is related to the keypword.
    The link has a anchortext similar to the keyword you are tagetting.

For PR, huge number of Links will give a good PR.
    A very good PR is good if you have very diverse site since you migth rank high for a huge number of keywords due to the sheer number of diverse links.

Hope it helped.

Blogspotter, Oct 18, 2006 IP
    Indian likes this.
  9. Blogspotter

Blogspotter Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It sure helps but in a very indirect way. It might help you rank for a completely different keyword that you are not targetting. eg, if you have blog and post very frequently, chnces are that you have written certain things that might be related to some Links... So you get some random visitors looking for completely different things... And most SE traffic is good.... Traffic is always good.. And a Good PR is also very good in many ways.. If you are getting a link, what is the harm unless it is from a spammy site... And all links wil give u a rank for some word or the other if that word or phrase is present in the website... It is always good to add some miscellaneous pages in your website based on ur back links [:)] call it reverse SEO, or reverse Engineering.... Content based on Most referred Keyowrds...

I have done that... lol... and today I get good traffic to my miscellaneous pages

Blogspotter, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  10. fowlerfilters

fowlerfilters Peon

Best Answers:
    PR has very little influence with ur SERP, atleast it did not affect my sites

fowlerfilters, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  11. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    Ranking doesn't depends on PR at all.
    You can achieve high PR on individual basis like building inbound links. But achieving high serp rank depends on strenght of your competitors for that particular keyword.
    Pagerank is overall rank of page -- it has no relation with any particular "keyword" :)

Mong, Oct 19, 2006 IP
  12. slapmatt

slapmatt Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PageRank is vanity - ranking is sanity ;)

slapmatt, Oct 19, 2006 IP
  13. visio

visio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ahh no actually mate it has no effect whatsoever on rankings. I repeat the google pagerank does not effect rankings.
    Pagerank is calculated by the number of backlinks to a site while site rankings are calulated by QUALITY of links to a site so you can see they couldn't be together.

I have a PR2 site that outranks literaly millions of PR6,7 sites. Why? Because I have done ZERO link building and hence all backlinks are quality one-ways and produce awesome rankings and traffic but not that great PR.

visio, Oct 19, 2006 IP
  14. ablaye

ablaye Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not true. If you have your link on higher PR sites, google automatically gives more weight to your site.
    Pagerank is a mark on how important google thinks your site is. So of course, this would have to be factored in for ranking.

Have you looked at google ranking algorithm to say definitly that pagerank isn't taken into account? My guess is that you have not :D

ablaye, Oct 19, 2006 IP
  15. William Martin

William Martin Active Member

Best Answers:
    My PR 3 site outranks PR 7 & 8 across the board. Read into that what you will regarding the relavance of PR and ranking.

William Martin, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  16. bloggerpreneur

bloggerpreneur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One thing to remember is that the PageRank displayed in the Google Toolbar is a historical value based on the massive Google updates infrequent update. True PR, however is constantly calculated everytime Google scans your site.

It is much more important to have a high SERP than it is to have a perceived high PR becasue traffic comes from searchers looking for you keywords and clicking the links they find high on the page.

bloggerpreneur, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  17. stackman

stackman Peon

Best Answers:
    In my opinion, chasing a high PR is a waste of time and energy - and money, if you pay for links. PR has nothing to do with keywords - it's a characteristic of a site, regardless of how visitors find the site or what keywords the site targets.

I recently created a new site that almost immediately got a PR5 (because I linked to it from my PR6 site), but it had almost zero traffic and could not be found in Google SERPs for any of its primary keywords.

My gut feel is that PR is a very minor factor in ranking sites in SERPS, probably more as a tie-breaker when two or more sites would otherwise rank the same. The more "respected" or "popular" site wins.

stackman, Oct 20, 2006 IP
  18. mako

mako Guest

Best Answers:

Blogspotter: you seem to know what you´re saying.
    Bloggerpreneur: any PR just is calculated once for a time, not daily as googlebot visits your pages.

mako, Oct 20, 2006 IP