1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wallpaper site - how to avoid legal issues?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by stinker, Mar 16, 2011.

I wonder how to stay away from legal procedures, if real owner of picture/painting/wallpaper will start to complain that we have no rights to expose his images on my wallpaper site.

Theorically all wallpapers are some ones work, who can make trouble if he finds and wants to. Even i buy packs of wallpapers and load them to my website, or download them from other wallpaper websites in packs, they can be (and most likely are) copyrighted. I feel there are no guaranty at all by having a wallpaper site, and stay legal :(

Please advice/share experience.
    Thank you!

stinker, Mar 16, 2011 IP
  2. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You seem to understand the issues pretty well, so where is the question? Is there a lot of money in wallpaper sites? Seems like a pretty big waste of time and hassle and potential risk, eh?

browntwn, Mar 16, 2011 IP
  3. lothos

lothos Member

Best Answers:
    Look at public domain and Creative Commons wallpapers. They can be shared freely.

lothos, Mar 18, 2011 IP
    stinker likes this.
  4. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    So, as you have already identified, you must ensure that you get the owners permission before using it on your site.

Now the chances are there are people out there that will claim to be owners that arent, both intentionally and unintentionally so if you accept uploads or get permission from the "owner" then you should look at getting some T&Cs agreed that includes an indemnity clause if it transpires they aren't the owners.

After that, have a small print section of how to notify about copyright infringements and ensure that you act on them in a reasonable manor if you do receive complaints.

AstarothSolutions, Mar 18, 2011 IP
    stinker likes this.
  5. subdivisions

subdivisions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why not make your own wallpapers? You'd get more visitors if you're presenting something new instead of the same crap that's all over the Internet.

- Read some Photoshop articles and make some abstract art in Photoshop
    - Get a camera and take some landscapes
    - etc

subdivisions, Mar 18, 2011 IP
  6. georgettemiller

georgettemiller Peon

Best Answers:
    I think if you used another person wallpapers than you must be take permission his owner or try to make own wallpapers which related to modern or imaginary.

georgettemiller, Mar 31, 2011 IP
  7. pratik

pratik Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thats a very nice suggestion.

And also I would suggest that you credit the original designer / owner of the wallpaper when it is displayed on the website. And incase if any person finds it to be wrong he can notify you and you can deal with it on one to one basis...

pratik, Mar 31, 2011 IP
  8. stinker

stinker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you everyone for the answers, sorry it took so long for me to get back to topic.

Thank you very much for a suggestion, AstarothSolutions, very clever, really appreciate this!

Pratik, your idea is also clever solution, but i think that this will attract cheaters, stealing content from other sites and selling to me. How to know who is real and who is thief? :(

Subdivisions, not all wallpapers on the net are crap at all, just a lot of crap around, but if you know how to search there are plenty nice ones.
    And with my photoshop skills creating wallpapers i could not compete even to those crappy wallpapers that are on net :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
    stinker, Apr 9, 2011 IP