1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Been out of it for awhile, looking to get back in

Discussion in 'General Business' started by bigdad, Mar 14, 2011.

Hey everyone Ive been out of the game for awhile. I dabbled a few years ago and came out ok. But ive been wanting to get back into it for some time.

I have been toying with the idea of creating a political blog. How would one be able to make money with a political blog?

I have also thought about creating a penny auction site that only auctions visa gift cards with a monthly raffle for something like laptop or ipad. Does anyone know what its like starting an auction site like that? I mean how do you not lose money when you have little traffic/bidders and your pretty much giving away gift cards? How can you form a campaign and get traffic there fast?

Thanks!

bigdad, Mar 14, 2011 IP
  2. Seqqa

Seqqa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If it's a 'real' news site then you'll be able to start charging for premium content as people in finance normally buy information to do with economics and politics. I would advise though you mix politics with a second subject such as economics if a premium service was something you'd be interested in adding to the site over time.

Also a penny bidding site may not be a bad idea, you could drive mass traffic through PPC and media buying. You could afford to pay a lot to acquire a customer as I'd expect the average life time customer value for such a site would be massive.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
    Seqqa, Mar 14, 2011 IP
  3. ablaye

ablaye Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Creating a political blog isn't easy. First, you have to have some credibility for your blog to be taken seriously. Second, your content will be somewhat controversial, so you might have trouble attracting advertisers.

A penny auction site might be a better idea.

ablaye, Mar 14, 2011 IP
  4. Avesel

Avesel Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe the penny auction has greater potential but it will not be cheap to create.
    For small earnings, I would go with the political blog.

Avesel, Mar 14, 2011 IP
  5. SimThePhpCoder

SimThePhpCoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    whats a penny auction?

SimThePhpCoder, Mar 14, 2011 IP
  6. Seqqa

Seqqa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Seqqa, Mar 14, 2011 IP
  7. lleamon

lleamon Member

Best Answers:
    A politial blog should be popular, especially if you incorporate it into a Google news site.

lleamon, Mar 14, 2011 IP
  8. sambling101

sambling101 Peon

Best Answers:
    What about charging to post links to politicians sites? If you got enought traffic.

sambling101, Mar 14, 2011 IP
  9. rlprice410

rlprice410 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, I have a 100% functional, fully customized penny auction site I just completed. I have spent thousands on customizations and plugins, but honestly I am still in school and do not have time to run the site by myself, so it is up for sell. Message me if interested.

The site is http://monster-bidz.com.
    We already have about 100 registered users and we have already sold several products after just opening. Also, trust me, be aware of people trying to sell you a penny auction script for $50 or even a few hundreds. You'll waste your money and never have a site that actually attracts people. I tried a few of these before actually finding a good one and wasted hundreds of dollars.

If you want me to give you a full list of features and plugins, let me know!
    Thanks!

rlprice410, Apr 14, 2011 IP
  10. johaswe

johaswe Member

Best Answers:
    Most penny auction sites does have bots that are bidding until needed funds are collected from real bidders. you might need this until you get a big userbase that always bids.

johaswe, Apr 14, 2011 IP