1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will google images drop my image if I change it but leave file name the same?

Discussion in 'Google' started by Cball, Mar 11, 2011.

If I have an image indexed in google images and I change it, will it be dropped from google images? For instance, I have an image that ranks very high and I want to change the image to something that looks the same but is different, and it will be a different file size (same dimensions, just different overall size)...will google notice and drop my image all together? Thanks!

Cball, Mar 11, 2011 IP
  2. StoneWilson

StoneWilson Peon

Best Answers:
    What do you think? It's basically a totally new image for Google, think about it, if google won't rank it, what if you change it into some dirty picture? My suggestion is, small change is ok, no huge one.

StoneWilson, Mar 12, 2011 IP
  3. Sachin Kumar

Sachin Kumar Peon

Best Answers:
    if You don't change Image name and Image size then i will appear in next crawl.

Sachin Kumar, Mar 12, 2011 IP
  4. dpkiller

dpkiller Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think it will be same bcos of the image name, one time I got this experience.

dpkiller, Mar 12, 2011 IP
  5. DoDo Me

DoDo Me Peon

Best Answers:
    google know the content of the image. Like a page got update, an image also can be update, and Google will know it

DoDo Me, Mar 12, 2011 IP
  6. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Leave the file name alone, why change it? You can just change the image though.

ForgottenCreature, Mar 12, 2011 IP
  7. Cball

Cball Peon

Best Answers:
    Let's say that I am selling vacuum cleaners and I have a photo of a vacuum cleaner that is #1 in google images and bringing lots of traffic. Now I have a new, better photo of same vacuum. I want to replace the image but leave the file name the same. It's the same item but a completely different image. when I save it, the file size is different, but file name is the same. I'm afraid to update it because I think the image will lose the #1 rank in google images, but I want to update it because the new image is so much better!

Cball, Mar 12, 2011 IP
  8. WishBone

WishBone Peon

Best Answers:
    You can try it and tell us what happened. But if I were you, I would rather add another image and name it properly..

WishBone, Mar 14, 2011 IP
  9. fotoB2B

fotoB2B Member

Best Answers:
    Google uses image pattern recognition (artificial intelligence algorithms) but if the image is quite similar it may not affect the outcome, except for the image creation date that will change.
    Like WishBone suggests, you could do it on one of your images as a test and let us all know. It would be interesting to see the results.

fotoB2B, Mar 18, 2011 IP