1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Special character in Title

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by Rakhi Chowdhary, Mar 10, 2011.

One of my client wants me to do submission with Title that contains special HTML character é, in meta description using é is OK but what about description for link building, directory submissions. If I write in plain English é’s then it will appear as such and if I write é it will result in unwanted characters.

Do just writing e makes difference for search engine. Please help to know how search engine treat special html characters.

Rakhi Chowdhary, Mar 10, 2011 IP
  2. franam

franam Peon

Best Answers:
    I got a domain with usually a "é" in french, but my domain isn't a IDN so I build my BL with a "é" and Google register it for "é" and "e".
    I don't know if i'm clear, this is an example :
    I own cafe.com and I build my BL with "café", Google get it as "cafe" and "café" .... :cool:

franam, Mar 10, 2011 IP
  3. Rakhi Chowdhary

Rakhi Chowdhary Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your reply, still one doubt does search engine like Google accept é or should I need to write &eacute for it, you can check my website http://www.digite.com/ and also its meta, but for backlink as you said I can use é.

4. franam

franam Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that also an encoding issue...
    On my side, I write my description and anchor without encoding and directly with "é".
    Regarding your meta, in your description you should write :
    "Digité is the leader in ...".

Your case is very "bizar" because you gets an IDN in english :D

franam, Mar 10, 2011 IP
  5. Rakhi Chowdhary

Rakhi Chowdhary Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Franam,

Good to know that Google will show the website in search results in case of any e used that is searches "é" and e. It means IDN is a great accountable factor, so I should keep in mind.
    Thanks!

6. nirajkum

nirajkum Active Member

Best Answers:
    this is not going to help you using special char in the title. As there are lots of local langaguges sites which have higher preference ... but there is nothing wrong in trying it

nirajkum, Mar 10, 2011 IP
  7. Rakhi Chowdhary

Rakhi Chowdhary Peon

Best Answers:
    Please suggest how is this going to effect my submission, as I find when I submit to search engine Digité then é is not taken as I write but some other character is generated at times, at times it work and if I write Digit&eacute it does not write Digité as Digit&eacute is for HTML, I think I should go with Digite???

8. Krish Sharma

Krish Sharma Peon

Best Answers:
    This is really good discussion topic. Even, I came across with the same situation with my website trainlondres.fr.

Krish Sharma, Mar 10, 2011 IP
  9. margarets

margarets Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, it's very interesting topic because i have phased same problem with special characters. So i think it depends on the asci values of the special characters 'coz the value of special characters in Word and in text files are different.

margarets, Mar 15, 2011 IP