1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do we do about poor grammar on DP?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by MrPoloShirt, Oct 17, 2006.

Most of the time when I ask a question, I get a ton of answers from people who just didn't understand the question. It gets frustrating.

MrPoloShirt, Oct 17, 2006 IP
    SpringHeeledJoe likes this.
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    You can show your appreciation with the Reputation/Feedback system and if you feel so inclined, take their replies apart and educate them. But that's up to you. There's nothing else we have in place to rectify it.

I personally find it quite irritating and unprofessional at times too. If I had to pick two deals and one was presented with bad spelling but otherwise identical, it would certianly affect my decision. Then again, English isn't what I spoke when growing up so I'm sure you can spot some grammatical crap in my posts too.

T0PS3O, Oct 17, 2006 IP
    MrPoloShirt likes this.
  3. MrPoloShirt

MrPoloShirt Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I'm not really nitpicking grammar.

Sometimes, I'll ask something or say something, and someone will reply with a comment that had nothing to do with my comment.

4. hextraordinary

hextraordinary Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yuo yant too tall ma i noo spaek jood inglich? :D

hextraordinary, Oct 17, 2006 IP
    Treacle likes this.
  5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    As far as the non-English members are concerned - do put yourself in their/our shoes for a second and try making yourself understood on a French/Japanese/Finnish webmaster forum. It'll be a pretty daunting task, especially since at school you only learn how to book a hotel room and other touristy sentences in that language. Such situations can do with a bit more patience.

But if they take the Mickey - there's no harm in a little bit of fun :) (Don't start about txt sp34k!)

T0PS3O, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  6. 1EightT

1EightT Guest

Best Answers:
    I see where some of you guys are coming from and it does get frustrating. You have to remember that many times english is not someones primary language. I would have a hell of a time going to a foreign language board and posting a response that someone could understand. In that respect I applaud these guys for taking the time to learn english and attempt to give help and feedback on the forum here.

1EightT, Oct 17, 2006 IP
    iatbm likes this.
  7. Jarodboy

Jarodboy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It's because of some things i read here, that my english is not improving as much as i would like :(
    But hey, i'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better then when i started about one year ago. :)

Jarodboy, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  8. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Portuguese and English don't mix very well since summer '06 so no worries Jarodboy ;)

T0PS3O, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  9. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    You can also turn that knowledge around and write over simplified posts yourself, knowing anywhere up to 75% of readers may know the answer but not being an expert at English. Sales people do the same, just adapt to your prospect. Write short sentences and stay clear of complicated words or structures.

It's all about getting people to do what you want them to do (remember that book you suggested in the other thread ;) ).

T0PS3O, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  10. maldives

maldives Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Show me an example please?

maldives, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  11. iatbm

iatbm Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would like to see example also. I browse daily and really I can't remember anything like this ? ... is this another foreign webmasters rant :D haha

wow 3 people didn't understand you ... well maybe you are the problem here !

iatbm, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  12. MrPoloShirt

MrPoloShirt Peon

Best Answers:
    I know I am the problem, my questions are obviously too difficult!

Crazy_Rob likes this.
  13. Jarodboy

Jarodboy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Ahahahah that's why i like you TOPS, you're a funny guy! :D

I have to admit, when i see that kind of posts written in a really bad english, sometimes i don't even try to read them :rolleyes:

Jarodboy, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  14. NeoGen

NeoGen Writer

Best Answers:
    From next time make it short and simple, so that others are able to comprehend it well. :)

The problem seems to be more of communication than of grammar or spelling.:eek:

NeoGen, Oct 17, 2006 IP
  15. seo-mumbai

seo-mumbai Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I,am sorry but this days i,am making lot of mistakes.I started working on my writing skills , i hope soon i will improve.

seo-mumbai, Oct 18, 2006 IP
  16. Deadlock

Deadlock Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well some people don't speak English fluent so it would be hard. Yes it gets anoying but it isn't that bad. Plus even me who is fluent in English makes a lot of mistakes because I never reread my post unless it is topic i am making.

Deadlock, Oct 21, 2006 IP
  17. gr8liverpoolfan

gr8liverpoolfan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Man isn't God. The least we can do is constantly strive to improve, which many members do. I have dealt with people with poor English skills, and although it is tough, it isn't very tough. It can however get difficult to get accustomed to, especially if you are used to speaking to people with excellent command over English in daily life :)

I am not saying I do not make mistakes, but I always try to keep them minimal.It is more important as I am a writer.I have seen certain writers offering their services here and they do not have a grasp over the language at all. If you aren't posting in good English, what is the guarantee that you will write well ??

At the end of the day, if you can somehow convince people that 2+2 is indeed 4, then there is nothing to worry about :)
    Nobody is perfect though.

gr8liverpoolfan, Oct 21, 2006 IP
  18. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    If you don't speak English then it is understandable, but some people just insist on typing like complete retards. Some guy called seoindia or something like that comes to my mind... all his crappy posts are full of junk like "I want to see u cuz Im in luv with u plz."

fryman, Oct 21, 2006 IP
  19. MrPoloShirt

MrPoloShirt Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not about that.

I don't care if someone has a few grammar mistakes in their posts. It doesn't bother me.

What I'm complaining about are the people who MISREAD other people's posts, misunderstanding their question or comment.

It's about how they read mine, not how I read theres. I can read their posts just fine, I just get angry when my/others posts are misread.

I get frustrated when people reply to a comment of mine or someone else's saying something that has nothing to do with the original comment.

That is what's annoying.

MrPoloShirt, Oct 21, 2006 IP
  20. Mike S.

Mike S. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you don't understand a post, ignore it or ask for it to be rephrased. I have the same problem sometimes and so do other members, but they didn't make posts. English is the hardest language to learn if it isn't your primary language. I find this thread offending as you are stating how you basically are upset that people don't speak English on daily basis.

As for the people who don't can't use proper grammer, people make mistakes or they are too young to try to deal with anyway.

You have the choice of reading a thread. Nobody is forcing you to.

If they respond in a manner that is off topic, maybe you are confusing them?

Mike S., Oct 21, 2006 IP