1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Joomla + jReviews for a Yelp clone?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Pixelrage, Jan 29, 2010.

Please leave this in the CMS forum and not the Joomla forum - I want to know if there is another CMS that can do this!

Just yesterday, I learned about the jReview plugin for Joomla and saw a demo of how Joomla can be turned into a site extremely similar to Yelp...you can even upload businesses from a CSV file into it, and it displays Google street view + maps, comments, and highest rated businesses.

This is exactly what I was looking to do, and it's very low cost (Joomla is free and jreview is $120 + $50 for Geomaps).

I was wondering if anyone here has successfully run a business ratings site using jReview? The only thing that's turning me off to it is that there is no option for a business owner to "claim" a listing as their own, so that is one less thing to generate an income from. I'd be willing to pay a freelancer to create this, though.

Pixelrage, Jan 29, 2010 IP
  2. somegamer

somegamer Peon

Best Answers:
    somegamer, Jan 30, 2010 IP
    Pixelrage likes this.
  3. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Pixelrage, Feb 1, 2010 IP
  4. 5minutejoomla

5minutejoomla Guest

Best Answers:
    Mosets Tree with Joomla allows listings to be claimed by the owners and include reviews from members. Very robust. A happy user. :)

5minutejoomla, Feb 1, 2010 IP
    Pixelrage likes this.
  5. kfawcett

kfawcett Peon

Best Answers:
    @somegamer - Although I have never used gdstarrating. I would be willing to wager that JReviews is a superior product -- All the way down to the inline comments in the code. Jreviews is highly extensible and customizable if you know how to code.

@markn26 - Jreview does allow listing claims. Did you ask in the Jreviews forum about this? Here are a few of the features:

* Improved moderation: There are new moderation menus that allow you to approve, hold or reject pending items and send predefined or custom emails to the submitter. You can also write an admin note for the moderated item.
    * Criteria ratings can now be optional: The criteria manager interface has been improved and there is a new option for each criterion so you can make it optional.
    * Listing owners can reply to reviews: Now listing owners can reply to user reviews to defend themselves from a negative review, to thank the user or to simply post a comment to the review. Replies can be moderated.
    * Review discussions: Users can now start discussions around user reviews with this new mini forum-like functionality.
    * Multiple editor reviews per listing: It is now possible to allow all of your designated JReviews editors to review the listings.
    * Claim listings: Let users claim a listing as their own so they keep the information updated. New claimss are put in the moderation queue so you can verify the information and ownership is automatically changed when the claim is approved.
    * Listing inquiries: We have simplified the process to allow users to contact listing owners. The feature comes with several email options and requires a single line of code to be added in the detail theme file.
    * Four new menu types: Latest user reviews, latest editor reviews, latest reviews (all) and latest discussion posts.
    * New slider effect for pagination in modules: The ajax pagination has been taken to a whole new level with this change that adds smooth transitions between pages.
    * Improved Jomsocial integration: activity feeds and points are now included

kfawcett, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  6. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks - I actually have been in touch with Alejandro and this is a really incredible script. I did hear that the "claim" feature does exist, but unfortunately it does not allow for a premium feature where someone would have to pay to claim their listing (this is something I really wanted to see).

Pixelrage, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  7. kfawcett

kfawcett Peon

Best Answers:
    I do believe that is in the works for a future release.

kfawcett, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  8. siukinlay

siukinlay Peon

Best Answers:
    I am also very interested in making a website with both JReviews + JomSocial. I am waiting like 2 months now because the last time I bought a script I made the mistake of buying it too quickly before researching for reviews or testimonials.

Until now the general opinion about JReviews is very good, so I think I will start making my new review website next week :)

Regards.

siukinlay, May 12, 2010 IP
  9. jreviews

jreviews Peon

Best Answers:
    I just found this post by chance and wanted to thank you guys for the kind words!

Alejandro

jreviews, May 16, 2010 IP
  10. nickoran

nickoran Peon

Best Answers:

hi 5min, any chance you could share an example? and do you find any problems or limitations with mosets having used it?

nickoran, Mar 10, 2011 IP
  11. digitwebnet

digitwebnet Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Joomla + mosets is excelent. View example at http://myyelp.com

digitwebnet, May 16, 2013 IP