1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much is the On-Going Rate for Article Writing?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by jack.writer2011, Mar 1, 2011.

Hello Guys,

I have joined DP recently on the lookout for some freelance writing work. However, I have no clue about the kind of pay offered here. I have worked for a couple of clients (from elance.com) with a good pay ranging from 1 cent to 2 cents per word. Due to cut throat competition and certain other personal reasons, I don't want to use elance.com anymore.

My friend has suggested me DP as a good and reliable forum to find some really good work, so please guys kindly guide/advise this newbie. :)

Regards,
    Jack.

jack.writer2011, Mar 1, 2011 IP
  2. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    While 1 cent per word could probably be considered baseline pay in these forums for decent writing, you can charge whatever you feel you are worth. Many people openly looking for writers here are only interested in low prices, but writers of all rates and skill levels can find (Varying) amounts of clients and success here.

lightless, Mar 1, 2011 IP
  3. jack.writer2011

jack.writer2011 Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks. However, I can see most of the writers out here charge even half a cent per word. It sounds rather cheap to me. So I want to know, even at this rate, do clients get quality content?

Jack.

4. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't make much of writers charging less than a cent per word (Except maybe for article rewriting). Probably desperate writers, people who outsource to even cheaper writers, writers completely ignorant of the value of their writing and so on. Quality is in the eye of the beholder; I've seen some people saying they got ripped off by cheap writers and had to rewrite most of the content, and a few who claimed they got quality content at low prices.

lightless, Mar 1, 2011 IP
  5. jack.writer2011

jack.writer2011 Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your valuable suggestion.

6. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The going rate is alway going to be the rate you're willing to accept. When you decide people who work for less than you will and buyers who are all to happy to pay in percentages of cents are not in your market, the "competition" thins pretty quickly.

Senobia, Mar 2, 2011 IP
  7. seorise

seorise Peon

Best Answers:
    Senobia, you've been fighting for higher pay for writers for some time now. I still remember you talking about it last year.

seorise, Mar 2, 2011 IP
  8. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well, no - if more writers would value themselves, the higher pay would follow. But eh, you can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make him think.

Senobia, Mar 2, 2011 IP
  9. onedumbaussie

onedumbaussie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just put an Hourly Rate on yourself.
    Write articles for an Hour and see how many you can turn out.

You can then work out your per word or per article rate that you are happy with.

Try and add value as well by maybe offering several re-writes as a package deal.

Hope that helps a little

ODA

onedumbaussie, Mar 2, 2011 IP
  10. jack.writer2011

jack.writer2011 Member

Best Answers:
    Good idea. But if your writing is worth the dollar your client spent on you, then why to offer a special package like offering rewrites to lure him/her?

jack.writer2011, Mar 3, 2011 IP
  11. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    You consider $5 (or around) per article good pay?

*shrugs shoulders* Ok.

I guess it is for some.

Yes, you will find it here.

Perry Rose, Mar 3, 2011 IP
  12. carol.prime

carol.prime Active Member

Best Answers:
    well, the best article output range from $2 - $3 per 100 words.

I don't think you will get a better result if the rate is lower of that amount i've mentioned above.

carol.prime, Mar 4, 2011 IP
  13. EngineerofSuccess

EngineerofSuccess Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The best freelance work you could do is do it yourself, because as long as you rely on someone else to do the work for you, you'll always be on someone else's time schedule

EngineerofSuccess, Mar 4, 2011 IP
  14. Hagen

Hagen Peon

Best Answers:
    You should always set your own going rate, as long as that rate is reasonable (ie: don't charge $1 Million per article or something). Think in terms of how much YOU want to make, and then figure out what makes your writing worth the amount you're asking. Also, you can check out sites like Textbroker.com. You have to take a test where they measure your writing skill, but if your writing is good, you can find articles where they pay up to $25 per article (Though those are pretty rare. There are quite a few jobs in the $7 per article range though). There are also other niche sites and publications like magazines that pay much more than that. Good luck!

Hagen, Mar 4, 2011 IP
  15. Webfrontier Biz

Webfrontier Biz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for sharing this great idea! :)

Webfrontier Biz, Mar 5, 2011 IP
  16. atomsolutions

atomsolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    In this relatively small community of ours, writing rates are typically low. It's sad really. How low can you go?

Your going-rate is more determined by your marketing, than your ability to write, truth be told.

;-)

atomsolutions, Mar 8, 2011 IP
  17. nit Green

nit Green Guest

Best Answers:
    As i know the per one hundred words article is $1, and standard article based on 500 hundred words,

but there is lots of writer offering less than one dollar but no quality, so consider quality content writer ,

nit Green, Mar 8, 2011 IP
  18. pararudalf

pararudalf Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends on your writing skills some give 1 USD per 100 words and some give 2 USD for 500 words.

pararudalf, Mar 9, 2011 IP
  19. Accelerin

Accelerin Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, I think it the price per an article is negotiable most of the times. Because the price always depends upon the quality and the turn over time of a writer. Quality articles done punctually would definitely be paid higher. Isn't it?

Accelerin, Mar 14, 2011 IP
  20. Ace Lasher

Ace Lasher Peon

Best Answers:
    Originally Posted by senobia:
    Ummm ... yeah. Hate to be a stickler, but I think you meant:

You can tie an anchor around someone's ankle, but if there's only 2 feet of water you can't make them sink.

I say charge whatever you need to get business in the door! Cash flow baby. Then, split test (yeah, just like in advertising) and raise your rates accordingly.

Ace Lasher, Mar 23, 2011 IP