1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

$6000 on SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Clowgon, Feb 27, 2011.

I am launching a news site, with the following topics, sports, insurance, health, love, entertianment, music, cooking, auto, celebrities, Movies, tv, horoscopes, realationships, investing, personal finance,

Now obviously, i am not looking to gain on page sales for these search terms as im not selling anything.

Do you think 6000 will enough for me to achieve a decent page 1 ranking on the following keywords? Seeing as it's a news site with the following topics, what keywords should i work with? Thanks

Clowgon, Feb 27, 2011 IP
  2. hhsaus

hhsaus Active Member

Best Answers:
    What is your target market? World-wide? US? EU? India?

There is a lot of competition out there in your niche. Lots of old and established sites. Beating them will not be easy at all. I highly doubt 6k will be anywhere near enough for decent rankings (but this might depend on your target market).

hhsaus, Feb 27, 2011 IP
  3. keym4k3r

keym4k3r Peon

Best Answers:
    What is the point in spending $6000 if you do not sell anything ?
    You can sell an ad space, membership, you can even sell a site later, but you have to have a precise vision what you want to do in a site.

First I would invest in copyrights like photo, syndicated news, and that would solve half of the SEO problems.
    You should share the investment money into different form of getting trafic , not only SEO but adwords, email marketing, local ads.

keym4k3r, Feb 27, 2011 IP
  4. Clowgon

Clowgon Peon

Best Answers:
    My target market is US, UK and most parts of Europe. Well i want to spend 6000 to boost my site prescene on the web, along with that, i will be having ads on site, which i hope to recoup some of my investment on that.

Clowgon, Feb 27, 2011 IP
  5. cr0n1cal

cr0n1cal Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you think you can get your money back, yeah it worth spending 6000$!

cr0n1cal, Feb 27, 2011 IP
  6. carleisenstein

carleisenstein Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess it would also depend on what you're planning to spend your $6000 on. The best SEO is not about throwing money at the problem and just getting links, but is about a labour of love to generate high quality links! Do you have a plan about how you plan to use your $6000?

carleisenstein, Feb 27, 2011 IP
  7. Clowgon

Clowgon Peon

Best Answers:
    No, i haven't really thought of a plan. Tbh, i will concerate a producing quality content with rich keywords first, then look at keywords that are high paying but will stand a chance at me having a good position in search engine rankings.

Clowgon, Feb 27, 2011 IP
  8. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Considering those niches
    6000 means like nothing ...

w3bmaster, Feb 27, 2011 IP
  9. Clowgon

Clowgon Peon

Best Answers:
    out of 6000 what niches could i get page 1 for?

Clowgon, Feb 27, 2011 IP
  10. Groovystar

Groovystar Peon

Best Answers:
    That's an awful lot of money for a bunch of blog links :p

I would start out by using that $6000 to research how to begin using SEO in tandem with your site on a small scale first. You should know where you are putting your money, that is a LOT of money!

Groovystar, Feb 27, 2011 IP
  11. jacobb5

jacobb5 Peon

Best Answers:
    none

You have 15 topics you want to rank in, so thats just over $450 to spend per keyword. I would recomend targeting some longer tail keywords and develop your site, over time you will start to rank for the required keywords but that could take years.

jacobb5, Feb 27, 2011 IP
  12. imagetypers

imagetypers Peon

Best Answers:
    Dont think only about the quantity of the work you will buy but also try to assure the quality. $6000 is not enough for your niche but if you can plan for the SEO and can get it done exactly you want by hiring some cheap workers then it can be done.

imagetypers, Feb 27, 2011 IP
  13. Atco_Maart

Atco_Maart Peon

Best Answers:
    Worth spending 6000 bucks... if you are going to do add inclusion then its worthy..

Atco_Maart, Feb 28, 2011 IP
  14. asus90

asus90 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think 6000 is much and maybe need a long time to get money back

asus90, Feb 28, 2011 IP
  15. utahseopros

utahseopros Peon

Best Answers:
    What keywords are you trying to target? That will give anyone a good idea on the amount you are willing to spend on SEO.

utahseopros, Feb 28, 2011 IP
  16. whitehatseo

whitehatseo Peon

Best Answers:
    If you need help shoot me a PM. I own an internet marketing firm.

whitehatseo, Mar 3, 2011 IP
  17. komrad

komrad Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm afraid your niche is very tight competitive market. $6000 is hard to get to the top 10.
    However, try to research the lower competitive keywords to the same target market, then $6000 would be O.K.

komrad, Mar 3, 2011 IP
  18. FredJones

FredJones Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dude, you mentioned a few topics. If you try to do SEO with the level of knowledge you sound like having at this moment on SEO (sorry for being so direct but mean the best here) you are simply going to burn the money out very fast without any result. Money cannot buy everything, try to understand and know deeper which is a much better route forward. If you mean to earn mone and have that much to burn, the right route for you may be PPC in which the money may prove to be enough with a bit of cautious approach. But if you are trying to do SEO with those sky-high terms you are going to be nothing short of "dead" if you know what I mean by that.

FredJones, Mar 3, 2011 IP
  19. HowardJames

HowardJames Peon

Best Answers:
    Really hard to get results even you spend 6000, you have new sites so just start working for big keywords is not a good idea. Make a proper selection which keyword for which topic is good to target.

HowardJames, Mar 3, 2011 IP
  20. mhovingh

mhovingh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My advice would be to spend a few bucks on a separate domain name for each topic and set up separate sites for each niche on those domains. Work from low competition keywords to reach your ultimate goal of a "super-site", except having the possibility of having many instead of just betting on one. Think about some search terms and give them a go in Google. Track the type of site that ranks high for each search term. Is it a mega-site or a site that is more focused? Look at the results over a few hundred different terms for various topics and see if it is mega-sites that are consistently ranking high, or the more focused sites that are more specialized. When doing this, the one thing I would urge is that a site like Wikipedia is just not something you should not be counting. To reproduce a site on that level, or another site that is just massive and has been around for years with tens of millions of pages of content, is not something you will be able to produce without a massive budget, well into the tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars, both in upkeep costs and content creation costs.

Take "sports" for instance. Pick out a few hundred lower competition keywords, ideally ones that have tight relevancy in clusters. Get 20 keywords for basketball, 20 for football, 20 for American football, etc. Take these high relevancy clusters and churn out your content, building up the site by adding more and more content and keywords, pushing into more competitive ones as your site gains some age and recognition for your previous keywords. This method gets you more traffic to your sites in the early stages from those less competitive keywords, providing quicker returns on any investments, and gives a solid foundation for your expansion to your "super-sites". Most sites are years in the making before they have a chance to hit it big in the search engines when dealing with a wide variety of topics. Even then, they can get crushed on certain terms by micro-sites. By starting as a micro-site and moving onward and upward, you get a foothold and provide a steady and relevant growth path that Google will love you for.

This strategy will also provides you with the opportunity to get to know what you really should be doing. You can try different strategies with each topic for content, seo, site layout, etc. You can get a idea of what is working and what isn't in the eyes of Google and the other search engines, across multiple sites. If you mess up somewhere, it is less of an impact on your empire of sites than if you messed up and had a single site that loses big in the SERP's.

Taking this route also provides you with more hands-on learning of what you should be doing with your sites, providing a learning speed that is manageable. This means that when you throw some cash into hiring someone for SEO work, you have a much better idea of what you need and know the questions to ask of the person or company you are hiring. There are many SEO providers out there but sadly, many don't really know what they are doing aside from banking on the people hiring them not knowing anything about SEO either. When they do a poor job, they keep your money and tell you that it must be something besides their SEO work that is hurting your rankings. To me, throwing the kind of money you are talking about at something that you know little to nothing about is just ridiculously foolish, especially in an industry that can be very hit-and-miss when it comes to the different SEO service providers.

You are of course free to do what you would like with your money. I just think that if you get some realistic time-frame expectations, focus on getting a good foundation started, and spend money when you know what you are paying for (and can call a provider out on their mistakes or incompetency before loading up their bank account with all your money), you will be in a much better position a year or two down the road.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
    mhovingh, Mar 3, 2011 IP
    crockfordcarlisle likes this.