1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Article Marketing Has Crashed! Ezine Articles Sees 71% of Rankings Drop

Discussion in 'Google' started by Chris Munch, Feb 28, 2011.

1. bfpseller

bfpseller Peon

Best Answers:
    Post your original content on your blog / your website and do back link to it from a forum post or another blog so that it is indexed first by Google to claim your ownership.

If you (or someone else copy yours) post on your site and marketing article sites at the same time, likely Google will think you copy the content.

bfpseller, Mar 3, 2011 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  2. Genesis1

Genesis1 Peon

Best Answers:
    wow, sounds like a big surprise to me

Genesis1, Mar 3, 2011 IP
  3. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sure things will get fixed those article sites in the future.

ForgottenCreature, Mar 3, 2011 IP
  4. Yo-Yo32

Yo-Yo32 Peon

Best Answers:
    We know that the article sites themselves have taken a hit, but what about the links from the article sites? Is there anyone here who has used article publication to a large extent and has seen their rankings drop as a result of the links from article sites being devalued?

Fair enough, Google doesn't want its SERPs cluttered with content farms, but let's be honest, people who published articles on these sites did so for the backlinks generated from those articles, and not to provide a public service of information and help those article sites rank well.

Yo-Yo32, Mar 3, 2011 IP
  5. Vozzek

Vozzek Active Member

Best Answers:
    I thought it stood for 'Sucks'.

Vozzek, Mar 3, 2011 IP
  6. markov

markov Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the top article directories will come forward with new rules so as to appeal Google in terms of quality.

markov, Mar 3, 2011 IP
  7. tattoos

tattoos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Groupon weren't "forced" to open up multiple TLD's, they chose to.

Huh?
    To find and crawl pages, Google will fetch their robots.txt, find the reference to their sitemap.xml, download it, then crawl.
    If Groupon decided to redirect users (and Googlebot) away from the pages listed in their sitemap because of their IP, then that would be their own stupid fault, not Google's.

My IP is based in Australia and I can see all these pages just fine.
    groupon.co.uk/deals/cambridge
    groupon.co.uk/deals/cambridge/barrett-and-coe/272349
    groupon.com/madison/
    groupon.com/st-johns/
    groupon.com/north-jersey/
    etc

Cheers
    James

tattoos, Mar 4, 2011 IP
  8. Vozzek

Vozzek Active Member

Best Answers:
    This is why I'm surprised that Buzzle got dinged. It seemed to be a better article site, and ONLY accepted unique submissions. If you posted your article anywhere else on the internet, Buzzle didn't want it.

As far as I know Buzzle didn't keep syndicating or promoting the reprinting of articles either. Dunno for sure though.

Vozzek, Mar 4, 2011 IP
  9. MakZF

MakZF Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are too many spammy articles in most article directories for them to warrant high rankings in google anymore. So many articles are blatantly written for purposes of SEO/website promotion and offer no real insight nor originality at all.

Personally if this algorithm change works, I am all for it. Sick and tired of seeing spam sites rank highly in Google.

MakZF, Mar 4, 2011 IP
  10. dragons5

dragons5 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's too early for conclusive evidence, however, you can take a few logical steps to see that link juice is being hampered. Google didn't 'deindex' the article directories, however, they did change the algorithm for them to rank lower, which stands to reason that the pages everflux pagerank, or constant pagerank in Google took a hit and is likely passing less juice, if any at all. the best way to track this is to keep an eye on links from article directories in your Google Webmaster report. As the Farmer update rolled out I personally noticed Ezine practically disappear from my report, then a few links come back as they continue tweaking the algorithm. Ezine's TBPR is now a PR6, I believe it was a TBPR 7 before the update, if that is the case it could be a sign that the internal pages (articles) also took a hit in TBPR which is a much more watered down version of Google's actual page rank for a page so that rank is likely lower as well.

dragons5, Mar 4, 2011 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  11. johnnypr

johnnypr Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have noticed that many of my ezine articles have taken a hit in rankings, and as a results i have seen a drop in traffic on my bum marketing campaigns.

However my websites have maintained, and in some cases actually risen, in rankings. I think the future is definitely buidling quality websites over an article.

johnnypr, Mar 4, 2011 IP
  12. GuruCreation

GuruCreation Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Like I said before... Article Marketing has NOT crashed.... Guaranteed!

But, with that being said, some of the techniques that people use when article marketing will now just be a waste of time, depending on what you were trying to accomplish with those articles.

People are actually going to stop marketing this way now because they think it doesn't work.....lol....This will actually open the doors for those that know article marketing is still a powerful technique, when done correctly, for ranking a website and obtaining backlinks.

Listen to what is going on here... GOOGLE LOVES UNIQUE CONTENT (90% comes from articles)!!!! Why in the world would Article Marketing be dead or crash? lol

What's actually crashing are the sites (article directories) that copied content or allowed content on their sites, that was already on other sites, and didn't supply a source/reference as to where the original article came from...DumbAsses!

GC

GuruCreation, Mar 4, 2011 IP
  13. bfpseller

bfpseller Peon

Best Answers:
    Old say is always good, "Don't put everything in one basket". If you heavily rely on article marketing traffic, it's time to find more ways to generate traffic. If you sell products, Amazon PPC and Facebook PPC is dirt cheap right now comparing to Google PPC

bfpseller, Mar 4, 2011 IP
  14. johnnypr

johnnypr Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I agree with both these posts from above. There is no way that article marketing is finished.

I remember when google instant came into effect a few months ago, everyone was going around saying "THIS IS THE DEATH OF LONG TAIL KWS!!!! AHHH!!!!"

Well hardly, and this change will affect people who use articles purely to rank in the SERPs, however will it kill article marketing? Not really

johnnypr, Mar 4, 2011 IP
  15. aamir098

aamir098 Active Member

Best Answers:
    just w8 and see i think google make it better with time

aamir098, Mar 4, 2011 IP
  16. dragons5

Best Answers:
    I agree, but it looks like this could be domain level which means Ezine and others will have a hard time coming back from it unless they kick out the junk content.

It also could be that they are doing some type of grammar analysis on the content. Ezine is filled with horrificly written articles that are clearly not written by native english speakers, or small kids. Do a site colon search in google and you'll see what i mean. As a writer I am appalled by the stuff that EzineArticles.com has approved over the years. I think the real answer will be to spinning/autblogging, stop buying content from poor writers with bad grammar and focus on higher quality writing and other forms of high quality content.

dragons5, Mar 4, 2011 IP
  17. GuruCreation

GuruCreation Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No DOUBT!!!.... Ezine (as an example) has been accepting more and more crappy articles... Why, because they were getting away with it... Google loved them, they brought in a lot of revenue in Adsense clicks... An insane amount... The whole damn page of an article, just about, was loaded with adsense ads... I submit there all the time, but I was and still am disgusted by those ads.

People are paying for convenience when it comes to buying articles... They don't wan to spend the money to get a quality written article, so, they in turn buy 10 - 500 word articles for $30...lmao! The bare minimum should be atleast $50 for those 10 articles.... Hard to find writers that will do this for you, because I won't, but when I buy in bulk from them, they will hook you up!

Now, I think you must take the time to spin (or rewrite) your content, and make sure it reads for searchers, and readers, not just for the search engines...It should have always been this way, but the algorithm wasn't ready for that. Now its destroying those sites with what Google calls "LOW QUALITY" not necessarily "copied content." Trust me on that... GUARANTEED!!! You want to copy content, do ahead, but mark my words.... If you want to rank for copying that content, make sure you reference or source where it came from... Point to the original is a must!

But, go and get quality content, and rewrite/spin them for more articles, but make them as good as the original of course... If you don't know what your doing, then suck it up and save some money and have someone write quality articles for you...You will not regret it!

ARTICLE MARKETING WILL BE THE BEST NOW, THEN IT EVER WAS BEFORE!............ The articles have to be of unique quality and NOT CRAP....lmao!

It will no longer be called Bum Marketing, unless you can write them yourself... Otherwise, your going to be paying much higher cost for those "UNIQUE QUALITY ARTICLES"...

Its going to be called "Costly Marketing".....LMAO! :)

GC

GuruCreation, Mar 4, 2011 IP
  18. dragons5

Best Answers:
    Precisely, but what will happen with all of the world's article writers? They are still churning out junk articles at an astounding clip. That's why I suggested that we persuade the writers here at DP to start creating alternate forms of high quality content in this thread here: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2111922

Article Marketing won't be the be all, end all anymore. Start diversifying the types of content you create and sponsor and make sure that it's done at a higher level of quality.

dragons5, Mar 4, 2011 IP
  19. drax2010

drax2010 Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah couldnt happen to a nicer bunch of parasites - sorry websites. Proves the point - if you can write good content dont give it away to someone else for free.

drax2010, Mar 4, 2011 IP
  20. dragons5

Best Answers:
    The large question is: What article websites will maintain enough revenue to stay online? sites like Ezine and Suite101 could very well merge, go out of business etc.. if they don't make corrections quickly.

dragons5, Mar 4, 2011 IP