1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is DMOZ really THAT great?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Arcos, Oct 13, 2006.

Reading through the message board here there is a little to make DMOZ THE place to get your website listed.

No matter what or who you are credibility is the key to success on the web and DMOZ appears to have little at present.

Is there still a great rush for listing on DMOZ or is it a dinosaur waiting for extinction?

Arcos, Oct 13, 2006 IP
  2. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    ohh, troll bait, I can hardly wait! In the meantime, I'll have a little nibble...

DMOZ has much more credibility than an angry Travel Affiliate who flames people in multiple threads for no good reason, IMHO. Well, maybe not humble. :D

compostannie, Oct 13, 2006 IP
  3. Arcos

Arcos Peon

Best Answers:
    When you actually have all of the facts you will be worthy of a reply

In the meantime FUCK OFF!!

Arcos, Oct 13, 2006 IP
  4. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    No, a DMOZ listing will not make or break a website. Stop wasting your time stewing over it ;)

ViciousSummer, Oct 13, 2006 IP
  5. Arcos

Arcos Peon

Best Answers:
    How true!

Stewing over it? No.

There are folks here who assume that a once great directory will always be a great directory.

There are folks here who know that not all is well in the world of DMOZ.

One day my friends the truth will out and the sh1te will hit those who pin their hopes on the new God known as DMOZ

Arcos, Oct 13, 2006 IP
  6. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow! Just wow.

7. ViciousSummer

ViciousSummer Ayn Rand for President! Staff

Best Answers:
    Hhaha...That's quite dramatic. You seem to have put DMOZ up on a pedestal that it fell off of quite a while ago :D.

Like I said, DMOZ is no big deal, if your site doesn't get listed, who cares. There are thousands of other things you can be doing to make your website better, rather then waste your time being angry at DMOZ editors.

ViciousSummer, Oct 13, 2006 IP
    compostannie and jjwill like this.
  8. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Summer is wise. Learn from her Arcos. :D

ViciousSummer likes this.
  9. Arcos

Arcos Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah I know but it is quite funny how others put such a great directory on a pedestal and watch it crumble and all because there are editors out there who are less than credible.

My personal association with DMOZ fell apart many years ago when I first realised that I can get sites listed easily if I know the right people or have a mate who knows a mate who is an editor for DMOZ.

My anger with DMOZ expired a long time ago.

My anger is with posters who still think that DMOZ RAWKS and are stupid enough to believe their own hype!!

You only have to read through this ODP\DMOZ Forum to see that there are more and more watching DMOZ falling from that pedestal.

Years ago DMOZ was a huge bonus for website promotion. that is no longer the case and, as you rightly say, there are many more, and better, ways of promoting a website than getting a listing in DMOZ.

Arcos, Oct 13, 2006 IP
  10. eXe

eXe Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sites listed in DMOZ generally make it into google's directory as well. And hundreds of others that use dmoz's data. It's more than just one link.

eXe, Oct 13, 2006 IP
    jjwill likes this.
  11. Arcos

Arcos Peon

Best Answers:
    Quite right.

But why rely on DMOZ when you can do that yourself anyway with a little effort?

That little bit of effort will be infinitely faster than relying on a possibly suspect DMOZ editor?

If DMOZ continues to be questioned by the SEO professionals and webmasters you will soon find that Google and all of those other reliable, ethical, credible "others" will start dropping the data provided by DMOZ!

Arcos, Oct 13, 2006 IP
  12. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Proving and even expanding on compostannie's point... and apparently not even recognizing the irony... :rolleyes:

That pretty much ends any question in my mind about whether it's worth continuing to read your posts...

minstrel, Oct 13, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  13. trichnosis

trichnosis Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    yes dmoz is reaaly great . you will gain more and more back link from dmoz clone sites and you get pr from dmoz.

trichnosis, Oct 16, 2006 IP
  14. primeryder

primeryder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I see DMOZ going the way of ZEAL. Theyy were supposed to be a qulaity directory too.

primeryder, Oct 16, 2006 IP
  15. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    *sigh*

Not this again. No you won't. Virtually ALL if not all of those clone sites will be useless. Hint: duplicate content filters.

Not very much. Take a look at the PR of the DMOZ page you hope to get listed on. Then use the followiung formula to figure out roguhly what PR will be passed to you:

DMOZ page PR * .85 / {total number of outgoing links, including navigation links, on that DMOZ page}

For most pages, that is going to rapidly approach zero.

minstrel, Oct 16, 2006 IP
  16. master06

master06 Peon

Best Answers:
    im listed in dmoz with my site but only 5 - 10 hit comes there daily. i think not great for me.

master06, Oct 16, 2006 IP
    jjwill likes this.
  17. Angeleyes

Angeleyes Peon

Best Answers:
    This was actually an interesting thread to me until Arcos was incredibly mean to compostannie. Sheesh. I don't know what's behind that... but telling someone f off isn't very nice.

Anyway, I've been trying to get my website listed on DMOZ but they haven't done it yet. Not sure why, nothing disqualifing about it... I guess pet sites don't get attention as quickly, lol. I don't think it would make or break my site, but it'd certainly help it!!! IMO :D

Angeleyes, Oct 16, 2006 IP
    jjwill likes this.
  18. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Since it's probably not worth more than any other link, why not spent the time finding a webmaster that might link to you? Your websites seem to be worthy of a good old fashioned backlink.

helleborine, Oct 16, 2006 IP
  19. dastuff

dastuff Peon

Best Answers:
    Why does it matter? Apply for it and forget about it.

If you get it, good job :D

If not, no need to cry over spilt milk ;)

dastuff, Oct 16, 2006 IP
    Roman and jjwill like this.
  20. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    He must be member of that cult which worships Robozilla and makes human sacrifices to it and DMOZ to get there sites listed. :D

I hate pet sites... keeps remanding me on all the bad luck I had with my pets :( (there should be lengthy post on Dmoz internal forum about it so if someone wants to post it here so I don't have to write it again :rolleyes: ).

Ivan Bajlo, Oct 16, 2006 IP