1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Advice for new business website

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by emforce, Feb 10, 2011.

Ok guys, so I got a job as a web developer for a new business site and currently whats up is a wordpress theme with a bit of information about the business.

But the guy in charge wants me to turn it around and make it into a website which not only delivers information to the customer, but also to sell products on to specific clients.

Now I am unsure as to how to go about this. Is there any content management system you would recommend for this certain situation?

Thanks!

emforce, Feb 10, 2011 IP
  2. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    You can do it with WordPress. You will need a commercial plugin for the shopping aspect. The Shopp ecommerce plugin is pretty decent, and has great support.

If you are looking for just a flat out eCommerce solution, you can check Open Source eCommerce Demos which is a great resource for all of the packages out there, along with actual user reviews that haven't been skewed by one faction or the other.

Dodger, Feb 10, 2011 IP
  3. emforce

emforce Member

Best Answers:
    I was thinking about just doing a sort of commercial plugin thing but I didn't know if it would be fully effective. Although the way things are looking right now it seems like it would be my best option as it means I only have to program 1 site design rather than 2 on 2 completely different platforms!

Thanks!

emforce, Feb 10, 2011 IP
  4. Emperor

Emperor Guest

Best Answers:
    I would go with wordpress since it's easy to use and has a lot of plugins to help customize a site. I would first work on the content part of the site and then develop a online store to complement the site.

Emperor, Feb 16, 2011 IP
  5. cazort

cazort Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree on the wordpress...wordpress is so powerful and easy to use, unless you have the knowledge or money to get something really good, it's probably not going to be worth your while going with something more complex.

cazort, Feb 17, 2011 IP
  6. ch1n3s3b0y

ch1n3s3b0y Peon

Best Answers:
    Prestashop is pretty good if you wish to sell things online. The new version has a lot of new features and it is open source.

ch1n3s3b0y, Feb 19, 2011 IP
  7. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Welcome, and would like to add, it all depends on how many products are going to be sold. If it is just a handful to twenty or so, then a simple plugin would suffice.

Dodger, Feb 19, 2011 IP