1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which domain should I use...old or new?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by ChrisinMN, Feb 12, 2011.

I have a vbulletin forum version 3.8, which isn't great with the SEO.

My current domain is forum4(a certain group of people). I don't want to post the actual domain, cause getting traffic from this questions isn't the point of the questions.

When I started, the forum was named forum4___ but then I changed the name to forumsfor____ cause I thought the 4 was tacky and it technically is multiple forums on one board.

I want to change hosts and will be moving the board, because it's not doing anything now, and I don't want to pay $20 to host it anymore.

My question is whether I should leave the forum at the forum4____ domain or if I should move it to the forumsfor____ domain. The other domain will be a blog that hopefully, I can do better with SEO on to make up for the poor vbulletin SEO. Would it be better to have the blog as something like an intro page on the forumsfor___ domain and then have the forum still on the forum4___ domain?

The old forum4___ domain is out there more than the forumsfor__ domain, but not like I couldn't start over the new domain I guess.

ChrisinMN, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  2. byronc

byronc Peon

Best Answers:
    older domain is better i think. i am not sure you can transfer your google juice?. But if you have a large user base and your content and traffics is growing you should be able to get it going quite quickly.

moving hosting is not a problem - changing a domain is...

byronc, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  3. ChrisinMN

ChrisinMN Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks..... Yeah, I think I will just leave the main forum under the same domain and then the new forumsfor___ domain will be for the blog/intro page.

I've opened the forum up more so more can get indexed. I had forgotten how much was closed off.

ChrisinMN, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  4. CannabisSEO

CannabisSEO Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    How old is the forum? If it has been around a while I would use the older one, but if it is a newer forum I would go with the forumsfor domain. Hope that helps

CannabisSEO, Feb 13, 2011 IP
  5. Bigger Biceps

Bigger Biceps Peon

Best Answers:
    You can get a new one for cheap. Try out the .co domains

Bigger Biceps, Feb 13, 2011 IP
  6. cheesee

cheesee Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd use the new domain, even though the old one might be better because the users already know it. But you can just do a redirect from forums4 to forumsfor. The only thing is that if forums4 has a good domain age on the domain, it is a bit better for search engine optimization because google bots will browse your site more often.

cheesee, Feb 13, 2011 IP
  7. SiberForum

SiberForum Banned

Best Answers:
    There is no denying the fact that an Old Domain will be worth to choose. It will be much better for SEO.

SiberForum, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  8. bebs3517

bebs3517 Peon

Best Answers:
    if i'm not mistaken domain age is one of the factors in SERP ranking. So i suggest retain the old domain.

bebs3517, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  9. web-hosting

web-hosting Peon

Best Answers:
    domain age matters but not much still a good domain with proper keyword stuffing would help better in SERPs, otherwise popularity could be improved like publishing articles, listing in forums or directories and also reviews from your website on other related sites should help increase popularity. http://www.webconfs.com/age-of-domain-and-serps-article-6.php

web-hosting, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  10. ChrisinMN

ChrisinMN Peon

Best Answers:
    The blog will have a lot of content and unlike the forum, there won't be so many links. I'll just have to make sure to constantly add new content to the blog. Maybe using the blog for the keyword stuffing, since it's tough to do it in the forum without looking off to users.

ChrisinMN, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  11. web-hosting

web-hosting Peon

Best Answers:
    if you have plan hosting blog site such as wordpress it would then need more processing power generally, suggest go for host that support.

web-hosting, Feb 14, 2011 IP