1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

AdSense - Allowed traffic from MISSTYPED domains?

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by gmantakis, Oct 15, 2006.

Hi,

Does anyone know if Google's Adsense allows traffic that comes from a domain that is misstyped? What i mean is... i have discovered a domain which has a PageRank of 10 and it also is in the TOP 20 of Alexa.

I found a domain which is available and it is VERY SIMILAR to the above domain. The only difference is that i have to add only ONE character. Its like registering altavfista.com ( the difference is the character f which is next to the character v on the keyboard ). So would i get some traffic from this? And does it have some value? I mean if this website has ALOT of traffic ( PR10, Alexa TOP 20 ) and i get only a 0,001% from this that would be great!

What do you think? In case its not a good idea to combine this with AdSense.. how else would this be of value?

Thanks to all

George

gmantakis, Oct 15, 2006 IP
  2. clancey

clancey Peon

Best Answers:
    Whenever I misstype a domain name and end up at the wrong site, I fix the mistake in the address bar and hit enter. I never click on the ads on that website. I would only linger if the site had really good, compelling content.

I would be really distressed if I discovered the site at the misstyped domain were trying to look like the actual site. I would interpret that as an attempt to operate a phishing site which is gathering user names and passwords from unwary visitors.

clancey, Oct 15, 2006 IP
  3. gmantakis

gmantakis Member

Best Answers:
    No. I really dont have that intention. I dont want to phish somebody and serve them sites with improper content. i just want them to drive them to my site which is a content site (e.g a Travel Information website). Would that be scamming or phishing? I mean if i can get 5000 unique visitors daily to my website ( as an example a travel infromation website with facts about countries). And i really dont know if it is 5000 unique, i havent done that before. Maybe its more or maybe its just 50 users. The fact is that it is a VERY WELL KNOWS BRAND with a Pagerank of 10 and is in the TOP 20 of ALEXA.

Thanks

George

4. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No it is not scamming/phishing. Just add a link to original site.

e.g. did you mean altavista and provide link.

infonote, Oct 15, 2006 IP
  5. gmantakis

gmantakis Member

Best Answers:
    No. I want to register the domain and THEN transfer that traffic to my content site. Why should i spend 8 USD to register a domain just for redirecting the traffic to the real website?

As i said i dont want to serve IMPROPER CONTENT. I want them to come to my content website which has no gambling or whatever stuff. You will now say maybe that this is not targeted traffic but what if i get lets say 10000 unique visitors per day from this? that would be 300.000 per month. Ok the most will click away BUT a small percentage of this will MAYBE browse my site and even BOOKMARK it.

Thanks

George

6. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I did not say a redirect. I said write down did you mean Altavista and provide link. If the user wants he/she can click on the link and go to altavista.

infonote, Oct 15, 2006 IP
  7. gmantakis

gmantakis Member

Best Answers:
    So you think that it would be okay to:

REDIRECT the user to my own content website BUT also have a reminder IF he wants to go to the real website i could provide him a link. BUT if he wants he can stay on my site?

Thanks

George

8. venturefox

venturefox Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can do this, but its called typosquatting (cybersquatting) and is very frowned upon. As soon as the company gets a whiff of your domain they'll probably start an ICANN case against you. Of course you'll have very little defense but if you feel its worth earning a few extra visitors on the back of another company, go for it. Visitors will probably distrust your website if you use such traffic generating methods.

venturefox, Oct 15, 2006 IP
    clancey likes this.
  9. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There is no reason why you cannot redirect traffic to your site. Some firms pay thousands of dollars in some of the more popular mistyped domains.

qwestcommunications, Oct 15, 2006 IP
  10. qwestcommunications

qwestcommunications Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The only question is how often this particluar mistyping happens that will determine your level of success.

qwestcommunications, Oct 15, 2006 IP
  11. Computerized

Computerized Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've heard of some large companies buying those mistyped domain names for thousands, so maybe you could get lucky. :p

Computerized, Oct 15, 2006 IP
  12. boldy

boldy Peon

Best Answers:
    i think there is nothin g to do with this...

i mean this might be allowed

boldy, Oct 16, 2006 IP