1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any recommendations on How To Market A College Social Networking Site?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by NewTier, Feb 11, 2011.

I'm an expert in many fields - but I'm currently working on a college social networking site because I found a unique twist and saw my competitors who just started out gaining a lot of traction.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can promote and market a college social networking site?

this is my site: http://tinyurl.com/4fbpd2z

any advice at all appreciated

P.S. Like I don't even know how to THINK in terms of graphic design - What could I look at to "Know" how to make better designs?

NewTier, Feb 11, 2011 IP
  2. mave863

mave863 Peon

Best Answers:
    You can monetize it with CPA

mave863, Feb 11, 2011 IP
  3. NewTier

NewTier Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not talking about making money - but talking about how to get users :)

NewTier, Feb 11, 2011 IP
  4. Avesel

Avesel Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have the money, pay people to stay active on your website.
    It's almost impossible to successfully promote a site that looks dead (I know, sounds obvious but I see people do it all the time).
    Just advertising with no social validity, even if you have a useful website won't work, trust me.

"13,750 College Students in...." this is good.

Avesel, Feb 11, 2011 IP
    NewTier likes this.
  5. chetankumar20

chetankumar20 Peon

Best Answers:
    You can promote your college networking site through Facebook, Twitter and Myspace. Participate in college groups in facebook and introduce your new sites, drop mail to college student and also can use student forums to promote your site.

chetankumar20, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  6. ketchop_seijin

ketchop_seijin Peon

Best Answers:
    hi friend - i'm from Singapore too.... i honestly recommend you find a designer to revamp the look of the site. I cant tell u what is wrong... except it really doesnt look gd (sorry)

i also dont know what your USP is, but my concept of social networking sites are - what can anyone do tt facebook can't? why would i join your site when i alr have facebook acct? u dont have to tell us this info but the college students need to know
    (incidentally, facebook started out as a social network for college students too)

i think for a start you can approach student groups - universities always have this welfare groups that source for gd deals from merchants to offer to the student body - maybe you can do the same thing and say "give my members a gd deal, and i'll promote your stuff in front of many college students?"

just a tot. worked w clubbing

thanks and cheers
    and all the best!

ketchop_seijin, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  7. NewTier

NewTier Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys. I agree with everything said

1) site is really ugly -> I gotta fix it. BUT I don't know what to fix.
    2) According to Avesel, social validity IS important. That's why I have to release the site to a college WHEN there's a critical mass - so I need to get pre-sign ups.
    3) @chetankumar20 Thanks for the college forums suggestion. I will try that!

Thanks Ketchop_sejin! Your suggestions are very close to the revenue model I have in mind - that won't be showing advertising.

The answer to your questions (and I'm not afraid to share it because hopefully I can get advice and suggestion):
    1. You can use this site to anonymously post to people and things like that - and it allows you to make new friends and meet new people through discussion. And there's always an opportunity to NOT meet a person in real life - when you are private messaging and she says her location and she says she has blonde hair - and you don't want to talk to her.
    2. Facebook is about staying connected to old friends.

NewTier, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  8. Steve Marino

Steve Marino Peon

Best Answers:
    Getting that critical mass is incredibly difficult unless you are offering something a lot better than similar sites out there - I suspect this is not the case.

Steve Marino, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  9. saibee

saibee Peon

Best Answers:
    If you consider some adword advertisement at the initial phase you will surely get some targetted traffic...

saibee, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  10. Zachmo

Zachmo Peon

Best Answers:
    But I suggest you to make the site more stylish and alive before promoting it.

Zachmo, Feb 13, 2011 IP
  11. samsfright

samsfright Member

Best Answers:
    upload some videos

samsfright, Feb 13, 2011 IP
  12. awcguy

awcguy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Possible items for promotion:

1. Connect with a multi-campus fraternity and work out a deal.
    2. add all college's to the mix - so people can choose what college they are in.
    3. Redesign - that has been said already
    4. Ask College students what they need to see ( that is your market )

These are just some idea's

awcguy, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  13. gonzalod34

gonzalod34 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you like offline business try to do campaign at some college. For this you also can hire some freelancer.

gonzalod34, Feb 14, 2011 IP
  14. Oceanus

Oceanus Member

Best Answers:
    What is this "unique twist"? I read the other replies and was curious if I missed it?

I have seen sites like collegeacb.com and likealittle.com and their usability is great- the latter more so. I'm really curious what your thoughts were on differentiating yourself from your competitors?

Oceanus, Feb 14, 2011 IP