1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should I be using HTML5 right now?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Tintumol, Jan 26, 2011.

Hello, I have designed a website in the way I know, that is using div's (and other elements) to define the structure of the web page and then using CSS and JavaScript to determine how the page will look like.

However, I decided to try and use some HTML5 tags such as header and footer tags. However I am already having some problems. For example the header tag immediatly broke the layout of the page. After a little google search I found that I needed to add the css rule display:block. That worked fine. However now I can see that the class="value" does not work on the header tag either.

Also I am worried that they page, on older browsers (ex: IE6 or un-upgraded firefox) might not load properly if these tags are used. This point worries me more then the previous one given that I already have some problems with these tags in upgraded FireFox.

Therefore I was wondering, is it the right time to use HTML5 tags? Or maybe I should wait a little more.

Tintumol, Jan 26, 2011 IP
  2. steelfrog

steelfrog Peon

Best Answers:
    IE6 does not support HTML5 without a hack. There are a few out there available so a little searching will be required. Apart from that, there's no reason why you couldn't start using HTML5 immediately, depending on the nature of your site but as far as I'm concerned, it should work without a hitch.

steelfrog, Jan 26, 2011 IP
  3. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    NO version of IE supports HTML5 without javascript help.

drhowarddrfine, Jan 26, 2011 IP
  4. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    That should work so there's some other issue.
    We've been using new HTML5 stuff for several months on all new projects without issue on Firefox or any other modern browser. (Of course, IE is not a modern browser but we're able to hack around it.)

drhowarddrfine, Jan 26, 2011 IP
  5. LoveArtHope

LoveArtHope Peon

Best Answers:
    So Div's will not work with HTML5. How different is it? Does this mean all programming classes for HTML are scrapped for now and it is a waste to be studying them. Will the old websites work in this new HTML5 environment.

LoveArtHope, Feb 11, 2011 IP
  6. chanif.alfath

chanif.alfath Active Member

Best Answers:
    fiuhh.. i'm not using it right now, i already try it for a couple time, but not all browser support it. i hope new browser will accommodate both html5 and old html.

chanif.alfath, Feb 11, 2011 IP
  7. xenobiologist

xenobiologist Active Member

Best Answers:
    it's probably not good practice to use html5 yet unless you work out every little detail that will allow it to display properly in most older browsers...or at least the browsers that are most currently used.

xenobiologist, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  8. cook08

cook08 Peon

Best Answers:
    We decided to stop supporting IE6 where I work and moved over to HTML5 because IE7 can be hacked to work with HTML5 where IE6 can not at, well at least not easily.

cook08, Feb 12, 2011 IP