1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

www vs non-www sitemap?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by sunburnin, Jan 5, 2011.

I'm always baffled by the www vs non-www urls to begin with, but the sitemap is confusing me.

My site comes up as non-www on the web, so I've pointed all my www stuff to that version too. But the sitemaps are showing coming from the www version according to google analytics. I see the sitemap being indexed in analytics on the www analysis, but nothing on the non-www analysis.

Is there something special I need to do on my website to make the sitemap show as non-www?

Thanks!

sunburnin, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  2. alexmcphie

alexmcphie Peon

Best Answers:
    i was wondering the same thing lol

alexmcphie, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  3. DoDo Me

DoDo Me Peon

Best Answers:
    if you site is on www, the use www in your sitemap, if not, use non-www in your sitemap.

Always use the canonical url for your sitemap.

Btw, you can redirect www to non-www or back by simple 301 redirect

DoDo Me, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  4. loristm

loristm Peon

Best Answers:
    Its better to be constant in any matters. When you started using non-www be it. When you start with www then use it all the time. On your sitemap use non-www since your site shows non-www :) I hope I have helped you

loristm, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  5. truckster

truckster Peon

Best Answers:
    Keep it constant as loristm says, which means keeping all backlinks one or the other. In Google Webmaster tools you can specify which one you want Google to use, doesn't always work so use the redirect on the .htaccess.

truckster, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  6. clive2

clive2 Peon

Best Answers:
    If your site is non-www then use non-www url in sitemap and everywhere. If your site is www then use www in sitemap and also select the www version of site in google webmaster.

clive2, Jan 10, 2011 IP
  7. catanich

catanich Peon

Best Answers:
    First, every site should have set up a Google Webmaster Tools account. In the settings it gives you the option to set up the URL the way you want. Set it there. But on you home page use the header <link rel="canonical" href="http://www.catanich.com/"> to also lock this in. I would also use it on all other pages within your site that are SEO required.

Also, it is very important to use the correct URL during link building. Otherwise Google will think that there are two different web sites.

catanich, Jan 11, 2011 IP
  8. zlori

zlori Peon

Best Answers:
    I have an interesting problem related to this issue.
    I use 'www.' versions eveywhere. My non-www pages redirects to www ones (via 301 header redirects).
    Still, inside Google WebMaster Tools I see 2 different accounts (www.mydomain.com and mydomain.com) showing different data - one has a sitemap, the other one has not, but even the 404 errors are different!

I've set up for both accounts www.mydomain.com as preffered domain. Despite all of these issues it seems that google still sees mydomain.com and www.mydomain.com as different domains / pages.

Any thoughts?

zlori, Jan 21, 2011 IP
  9. jaymeds

jaymeds Peon

Best Answers:
    you can always add the sitemap to both, but sometimes google will not allow, i use non-www and google would only allow me to enter non-www sitemap, which account has the sitemap ?

jaymeds, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  10. zlori

zlori Peon

Best Answers:
    The www one - but why should I add a non-www sitemap as well?
    Would not be those pages duplicated?

zlori, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  11. seoexpa

seoexpa Peon

Best Answers:
    Both are important. But the key factor is which is the suitable for your site. Sometimes people building links with www and in siemap they provide you URL withough www.
    It will create a nagative effect. So it is better to use a single for all operation.

seoexpa, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  12. JerH

JerH Peon

Best Answers:
    interesting thing is, if you have a 301 redirect in place to point at www version, you can't verify the webmaster account for the non-www version, because google never gets to the non-www version. Even better, if you don't verify both versions, you can't set the preferred domain. very confusing.

JerH, Jan 24, 2011 IP
  13. zlori

zlori Peon

Best Answers:
    Well this is happening to me - I 301-redirect my non-www to www, and then suddenly from one day to the other the non-www version of my domain appeared inside Google WMT.
    I do not redirect all pages but the most of them, including the domain itself...
    so confusing indeed.

zlori, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  14. kinah

kinah Guest

Best Answers:
    you can specify which one you want Google to use, doesn't always work so use the redirect on the .htaccess.

kinah, Feb 8, 2011 IP
  15. unknownpray

unknownpray Active Member

Best Answers:
    First of all you need to decide what version of the site do you want running? After that redirect all of your other pages to your desired version using a htaccess file that you need to upload at the root of the site. Then create a sitemap also using the URLs of your selected version. This may cause a minor setback in your rankings and ratings but once Google catches on, it will really boost your sites authority and you will see yourself where you were previously.

unknownpray, Aug 24, 2011 IP
  16. sagorbiswas51

sagorbiswas51 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have added my new site http://www.blogspotyard.com to google webmaster tools. I set my preferred domain as www. I also added the non-www version and verified it. So, the question I'm facing; should I setup a sitemap for both www and non-www version ?

sagorbiswas51, Sep 19, 2014 IP