1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Computer Science vs Information Technology degree

Discussion in 'Programming' started by rabintoy, Jan 31, 2011.

?

I.T. or Computer Science?

1. I.T. Of course!

23.1%
  2. Computer Science is Better!

76.9%
    Ho there DP dudes! I'm Raven and I'm a graduating highschool student...
    I'm really exited about getting to college but the problem is I couldn't seem to choose what course would be the right thing to choose for me.

Computer Science or Information Technology degree ?

My goal is to eventually work for big companies as a Software Engineer and Web Applications Developer. I really have a hefty knowledge on XHTML(Even HTML5), CSS, PHP, MYSQL, JavaScript and some other web developing languages. I have work on several small businesses both online and offline.

Since this forum section tackles all about programming...
    What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

rabintoy, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  2. mohamedsafiq

mohamedsafiq Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi actually the computer science purely depend on software and somewhat hardware and IT is combination of software,hardware as well as communication

mohamedsafiq, Jan 31, 2011 IP
  3. AstarothSolutions

AstarothSolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    In the UK those two names are more or less interchangable (CS is more old school than IT) and it would basically depend purely on which university you go to as to what it is called.

You are much better off looking at the course content (as well as the quality of the university) than simply the titles of the course.

If your wanting to work in corporate sector you are generally better off looking at the corporate level languages/ platforms like Java, .Net, MS SQL, Oracle etc as the likes of PHP and MySQL are very very rarely used. Also remember that in the corporate world everyone has a much tighter focus, so whilst it could be good to be able to understand .Net and MS SQL the reality is on a project your would be dealing with one and someone else would be dealing with the other.

AstarothSolutions, Feb 1, 2011 IP
  4. sridhar_91

sridhar_91 Peon

Best Answers:
    @mohamedsafiq

Might i correct u there mate, m doing by Info Sci. course and its purely software based from wat i know! CS, however, has a bit of hardware in the last year!

sridhar_91, Feb 4, 2011 IP
  5. eugene_x

eugene_x Peon

Best Answers:
    Those are just names :) I would recommend to make a list of colleges that teach CS or IT and then pay a visit to them and ask what exactly they are going to teach you. May be they would let you talk to some teachers, or let you visit several lectures for free so that you could decide whether this is really the thing you want to learn.

eugene_x, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  6. AndyFarrell

AndyFarrell Peon

Best Answers:
    i believe Computer Science you create the framework
    in Information Technology you use the framework.

AndyFarrell, Feb 7, 2011 IP
  7. joshua_

joshua_ Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm going to step in here and go against the grain. There are so many career paths on both sides of these two concentrations, but I would personally consider information technology/information systems. At many US universities, there are great undergraduate programs called "Management Information Systems (MIS)", "Computer Information Systems (CIS)" or even just "Information Systems/Science (IS)" - these degrees are typically (but not always) BUSINESS degrees. You get a very well-rounded education in accounting, finance, management, business law, etc. PLUS you learn programming essentials, relational database theory and design, and other technical skills. If you want to be a Software Engineer, go Bachelor of Science in Computer Science without a doubt. If you want to eventually be a Senior Vice President or a CTO/CIO - go Bachelor of Business Administration in Information Systems.

joshua_, Feb 8, 2011 IP
  8. crivion

crivion Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I would rather pick up an University website and find the informations there
    They must have a description for both of them

crivion, Feb 11, 2011 IP
  9. cook08

cook08 Peon

Best Answers:
    It really depends on the course work. At some universities IT is considered a more end user support based degree where as computer science is programming. Other schools put an emphasis on the theoretical and mathematical sides in computer science and IT is the programming degree. It really depends on the school my school IT is much more end user and computer science is where the better programmers are. Just my two cents

cook08, Feb 12, 2011 IP
  10. Dhamodharan

Dhamodharan Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY is always :cool::cool:RockZZZZZZZZZ:cool::cool:........................
    for example, Have You ever heard Computer Science Company or Computer park. those are always called as IT PARK, IT COMPANY LIKE THAT. The fact is two courses are same . both are software's. There is no use a hardware word in Both courses. Little difference was IT peoples've to learn more theory papers than computer Science Peoples. Major Papers are same in both Courses.

Dhamodharan, Jun 16, 2011 IP
  11. Wulkanen

Wulkanen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've done 3 years of IT studies in high school and I'm currently doing 3 years of Computer science in college.
    I would advice you to pick computer science if you want to be a programmer.

This (first) year I have been studying:
    Math.
    PHP.
    HTML.
    Physics.
    Network architecture, construction, maintenance, administration, error fixing.
    Third and fourth generation programming languages.
    Project management.
    And much more.

It's interesting, but when you get books with 600 pages of coding you quickly start to loose your mind lol. :p
    That's why I'm going to specialize in networks next year. programming is not my cup of tea.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
    Wulkanen, Jun 16, 2011 IP
  12. scor

scor Peon

Best Answers:
    It is differentiated her in India that way, Visit abroad univeisities, you'll find only Computer science or else combination of both like CSIT.

GoodLuck

scor, Jul 4, 2011 IP
  13. seller2551

seller2551 Peon

Best Answers:
    IT degree is just a soft version(less actual coding) of the computer science degree, i've dont both for a little while. If you dont want to code for a living you should prolly get the IT degree, plus the girls are cuter there ;)

seller2551, Jul 12, 2011 IP
  14. pabloup

pabloup Peon

Best Answers:
    yes Computer Science is Better! [​IMG]

pabloup, Jul 19, 2011 IP
  15. oltranzista

oltranzista Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to be a "software engineer" aka programmer then go with the computer science degree. That is what I'm doing.

oltranzista, Jul 20, 2011 IP
  16. JohnnySchultz

JohnnySchultz Peon

Best Answers:
    Computer Science is what I believe that complete degree if you want to be a programmer, will teach you until the advanced lessons of Programming Languages while Information Technology tackles the basics only, giving you an overview of everything about computers that includes programming.

JohnnySchultz, Aug 1, 2011 IP
  17. Nebula525

Nebula525 Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldnt recommend computer science for web based things.

Nebula525, Aug 1, 2011 IP
  18. seomindset

seomindset Peon

Best Answers:
    I've known a lot of Software Engineers and Web Developers who graduated either Computer Science and Information Technology courses but landed the same job. So i guess, it's more of interest. If you really love programming you can focus on that field by self learning.

seomindset, Aug 3, 2011 IP
  19. Thorlax402

Thorlax402 Member

Best Answers:
    Don't kid yourself. You don't go into either for the girls ;). Anyway, he's right. Computer science is (for the most part) programming. IT is the right path if you want to be the guy that translates CS l33tsp3ak into words that professional human beings can understand haha. Since you seem to be interested in actual development then I would recommend computer science. The development end of IT will mostly be debugging and simple applications.

Thorlax402, Aug 5, 2011 IP