1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Should i really be making money on my sites?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by confusedone, Feb 4, 2011.

I have been trying my hand at internet marketing for a bit now but have had very very few sales. I have thought for a while that i hve aimed at poor keywords or words that dont really generate the traffic. EG one keyword i rank 1 for in google only gets approx 5-15 visitors per day - if i had done my keyword research correct i think i would have seen that and not bothered with it.

My question is this though, although the sites mentioned rank 'well' or indeed for number one, but for phrases or words with very very little traffic, why are their adwords on the side? are these keywords of value to someone? if this is the case, should i really be making more money with them, getting regular sales (stop making excuses for myself!). Just find it bizarre that for a keyword that has only estimated 10 visitors per day, people are bidding for the keywords.

Please note that i am still very much in my infancy in all this and dont have a full understanding of adwords etc, just played with seo, linkbuilding etc so far. As said though im guessing that if people are bidding for them terms, they must have some sort of value?

Any guidance or thoughts would be really appreciated

Kind regards

Alan

confusedone, Feb 4, 2011 IP
  2. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well many are amateurs that's why such keywords get such bids ...

w3bmaster, Feb 4, 2011 IP
  3. Scrilla650

Scrilla650 Peon

Best Answers:
    When it comes to selecting keywords, it's all about the research. No fancy tools to purchase. Good ol google keyword tool is all you need. It'll tell you the bulk of what you need to know about your keywords; how many times it was searched, competition, latest trends....etc.

Scrilla650, Feb 4, 2011 IP
  4. demonzsoul

demonzsoul Peon

Best Answers:
    Contents with competing keywords is a good suggestion, try keyword analysis, maybe you get some winning keywords to put on you pages or posts.
    You should concentrate on traffic and not monetizing if your traffic is low.
    If you an expert then, well, try both :)

demonzsoul, Feb 4, 2011 IP
  5. Storyteller

Storyteller Peon

Best Answers:
    You can also find about 30-40 medium competition to low competition keywords that help you rank on page 1 in Google and write several articles around each keyword, so that collectively you will be getting traffic from them all. So instead of thinking you found a dud of a keyword at 5-10 visits per day to your site, you can have a 30 keywords doing the same thing, or similar, in traffic results, which would mean 150-400 visits per day. Now you're talking!

Storyteller, Feb 4, 2011 IP
  6. Christian Little

Christian Little Peon

Best Answers:
    Most likely the people who are bidding on the terms in question are enabling broad match searches in their PPC campaign. This is usually done by amateurs that don't know any better.

Christian Little, Feb 4, 2011 IP
  7. NEFTALI

NEFTALI Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm new as well to internet marketing and have discovered the importance of good keyword research ( I use Market Samurai) but of course just using plain ole Google tools can also work well. As another reply mentioned if your getting that little in the way of traffic then there's more work to be done in the way of content and your site...

Worrying about adwords, backlinking or selling in general is a waste of time until the traffic/customers have something worthwhile to look at and a reason to be there.

I'm sure you understand this stuff, but trust me sometimes we all get caught up in the payoffs and rewards before putting in the work...that includes me, trust me.

NEFTALI, Feb 4, 2011 IP
  8. Mats Loefkvist

Mats Loefkvist Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    Adwords is not really a tool to play with if you don,t know what you are doing. Most people will loose money before they learn the lesson. Adwords is fantastic if you have all the basic knowledge in place and looking for the big next step.
    I would suggest that you focus on getting the SEO (Search Engine Optimization) right to start with using free traffic from Articles, blog posting and forum marketing until you start making some money. Oh by the way, offering quality content will be the make of break of your online business...:cool:

Mats Loefkvist, Feb 4, 2011 IP
  9. niliven

niliven Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are certainly a lot more details to take into consideration, but thanks for sharing this post.

niliven, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  10. Bryana

Bryana Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes you can make extra income from your from your web site. I have earning $500 every month from my website.

Thanks

Bryana, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  11. Steve Marino

Steve Marino Peon

Best Answers:
    Steve Marino, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  12. confusedone

confusedone Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi sorry, i think some have the wrong end of the stick here, that is not to say that i really dont appreciate the feedback and lots of it is very useful so thankyou.

I think i have realised the errors of my ways by the fact that looking at my now keyword research it is obvious i shouldnt have really aimed for the keywords and was going to write the sites off as practice etc.

But there are adwords on the side - i am not considering using adwords, yet anyway, but it was the fact that they were there, using them as a potential indicator that, yes, the keyword does actually have some value or why would people bother paying for ads on the side??

And i use market samurai now and am quite happy with it so far, but thanks for other ideas and will certainly try them too.

Kind regards

Alan

confusedone, Feb 5, 2011 IP