1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

$20k + with Content Gateways

Discussion in 'Affiliate Programs' started by wildturkey, Jan 26, 2011.

I'll start by saying this is not my site, but this method easily netted the owner $20-30k and it wasn't even that hard to do (maybe the linkbuilding was tough, but that's beside the point).

If you search for "Watch the Walking Dead Online" you'll find a .info site (it used to be a simple blogspot blog, but I'm guessing he may have gotten in trouble and needed to change it). All the videos are hosted off-site, so the risk is somewhat limited.

The site owner had it locked with a survey and once you filled it out you got access to the site for a month. He had a registration counter that was over 10k and it's no longer there, so I'd imagine at $1-2 per survey he killed it.

Granted, the legality is questionable and there's a lot of competition, but content gateways have a TON of potential. It may have been tough to rank for that term, but it's worth a try if you can hit a big trend quick.

wildturkey, Jan 26, 2011 IP
  2. Sean9

Sean9 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Where did you get $20k from? I highly doubt that website made anywhere near that. That counter was for visitors, right? Not how many people actually completed the surveys.

I was in the tv show / movie niche for over 2 years. If I made $20k from 10k visitors I would have millions right now.

Sean9, Jan 26, 2011 IP
  3. wildturkey

wildturkey Peon

Best Answers:
    It was subscriber count, which I'm assuming was the amount of people that filled out surveys. Think about it, if you can provide a reliable source for a user to watch his favorite shows without loading him up with spam/viruses/malware/etc he wouldn't mind filling out a survey.

The content was locked, so the only way the user could see the video was to fill out the survey (might have used CPA lead). It's a good deal for the owner and the viewer--it kind of opened my eyes to how content gateways could be mutually beneficial rather than just a way to make a quick buck. Although like I said, posting copyrighted content like a TV show or movie is technically illegal so it's more of a get-in, get-out proposition.

4. brent360

brent360 Peon

Best Answers:
    Generally, anything that will provide you with a significant, recurring, stable source of income will provide a lot of value to someone else in the process (making it mutually beneficial). It's not just content-gateway-type sites! :)

brent360, Jan 26, 2011 IP
  5. Sean9

Sean9 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm 99% sure it wasn't the amount of people that filled out the surveys. Could have been the number of people who subscribed to the blog.

Is this your first time seeing content gateway on a tv show site? This was very popular over a year ago. Now a days alot of networks don't want to deal with copyrighted material and the ones that do usually have low paying offers that don't convert as good.

Sean9, Jan 26, 2011 IP
  6. wildturkey

wildturkey Peon

Best Answers:
    18k exact match searches last month, and the show's popularity peaked 2 months ago. Why so skeptical? Even if the payout per survey is $1, ok $10k+ with only a bit of work. Most people would kill for that. I'm sure networks frown upon copyrighted content and I haven't tried it, but this goes to show that people are getting away with it and doing just fine. Instead of being negative and skeptical, maybe you could have shared some of your 2+ years experience in the TV niche. Thanks for your reply.

7. music legend

music legend Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    depends on which company you go with for the gateway i would assume as not everyone who completes one is going to get credited

music legend, Jan 26, 2011 IP
  8. bqpennell

bqpennell Member

Best Answers:
    Its terms for account termination, They let you by as long as they are making money and no complaints are being made but as soon as a complaint is made they hang you out to dry pretending they had no idea while blocking your account. telling the advertiser problem has been solved

bqpennell, Jan 27, 2011 IP
  9. SecretMoney

SecretMoney Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    yes,i agree,Content Gateways is great way to make money!

SecretMoney, Jan 27, 2011 IP
  10. H3x

H3x Active Member

Best Answers:
    $20-30k from 10,000 hits? i very much doubt that all of the visitors filled in surveys to view the content, heck im lucky if i get 60% conversions with content gateways

H3x, Jan 27, 2011 IP
  11. Sean9

Sean9 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I know alot about the tv show, movie and stream niche. I made over $100k easy late 2009 to mid 2010 before networks stopped allowing this type of content.

I can assure you that not everyone who visits the sites completes a survey. With optimization, usually you get a 60% CTR and only around 30% of those people complete a survey. Also, not many networks pay $1 per survey and those that do usually have a low conversion rate for this niche.

Try this method yourself, you will be very disappointed with the results.

Sean9, Jan 27, 2011 IP