1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Big Programming Task - Need your opinions!

Discussion in 'Programming' started by TimothyJohn, Jan 14, 2011.

Hey guys.

Recently I started working at Australia's biggest Air conditioning supplier. As I have a programming background, my boss has requested that over 6 months, I rebuild the run sheet system for the warehouse.

Now the system needs to allow at least 10 computers to access the same database at the same time. The current program is written in Perl, is inefficient and kind of slow.

Here's a basic run down of what it needs to be able to do.

Search for a job - Then allow editing of different aspect of the job that fall under sheet metal, plastics, picking, data entry and dispatch.

Add a job - Enter a new job to the database.

Reports - Show up to date reports on stock, picking errors and so on.

I also need ever computer that has the run sheet open to refresh when ever a new job is submitted. This is very important.

This is just a sample of the kind of functionality that the system will require.

Now my question for you is whether or not writing the system in AJAX using MYSQL to access the database seems like an efficient way to make the system of whether there is a better language suited to my needs?

Please only answer if you have an opinion based on experience and have produced programs to/beyond this capacity before. Your help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

TimothyJohn, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  2. ustas

ustas Member

Best Answers:
    You always have two ways
    - create desktop application (for Win you can use MS SQL + C# as example, or for crossplaform solutions Qt or Java for GUI)
    - create web application (also two way Win platform(ASP,SilverLight) or standart php+apache+mysql,postgresql)
    You describe few techical details, need more.
    Correct architecture of the project - half the battle.

ustas, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  3. TimothyJohn

TimothyJohn Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I currently don't know more then that the database is located on a local Microsoft server haha. They aren't very technical and I haven't had a chance to have a good look myself.

I know it is shocking for me to expect an accurate answer without giving much technical info but it's all I can do at this stage.

The accounting software they use stores all jobs in a database located on the windows server. The run sheet software written in perl then accesses that database to allow user interaction on any of the 10 computers on the run sheet page. Each connected computer needs to be able to refresh when ever one of the computers makes a change to a job and presses save.

I'd prefer for it to be a web application as the computers are not very good and I don't really no anything other then basic java for desktop applications. Would probably be a lot easier for me to build a web application.

4. TimothyJohn

TimothyJohn Member

Best Answers:
    They are all running XP.
    The current system is a web application and they have no problem using it. You don't have to be a genius to use a straight forward web application. Everything will be laid out simply, and the people who use it are actually quite smart. You'd be surprised how many of the workers have degrees and are quite intelligent, it's just that warehouse work is the only work they've been able to find!

Thanks for your opinion. I'm pretty set on using Ajax and PHP/MYSQL. I was playing around last night and the fact that you can easily pull up content without even pressing a button is great. I've ordered several dummies guides on programming just so I have a good amount of resource outside of the computer :)

If you still think there is a better language that will be easier to write and do a better job, say so.

5. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    You say you have a programming background and know java yet here you are on DP asking people what to do and you're ordering programming for dummies books. Then you want to write a web app in AJAX cause it's going to be better than the Perl application. This all sounds like you don't know what you're doing and it's way over your head.

drhowarddrfine, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  6. TimothyJohn

TimothyJohn Member

Best Answers:
    I said I know basic Java, I know PHP and MYSQL but not very much AJAX. Just because they are called programming for dummies does not therefor make me a dummy, those books are just better at explaining things, and I will need to learn more Ajax. All I am asking is whether or not me going with Ajax/PHP/Mysql sounds like a good idea, or whether I would be better off learning and using another language or going with a desktop application?

7. TimothyJohn

TimothyJohn Member

Best Answers:
    Well I was also thinking that might be the hardest part. Really an auto refresh would be sufficient, could just cache old data so it doesn't have to do much. It's on a pretty fast wired intranet, so it wouldn't be much of an issue, what would you recommend? Is there a better alternative to make all of the computers have the latest info?

TimothyJohn, Jan 21, 2011 IP
  8. SimThePhpCoder

SimThePhpCoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would look into ajax chat's since your building a web application. Its a simple concept that shows how to update other user pages on the fly. Just change around what's update instead of a chat window. ;]

SimThePhpCoder, Jan 23, 2011 IP