1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Blog, Some Questions, Help

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by EMEDDIE, Jan 15, 2011.

I currently have a blog using blogger and I want to get my own .com, .net url so in order for this I have a few questions.

How much do I have to pay for the domain? is it a yearly fee or permanent?

How does hosting work? How much would I pay monthly or yearly?

What will I use to work on my blog? Many people use wordpress, but what is the difference wordpress.com or wordpress.org?

What would you guys advice me?

Thanks in Advance,

Eddie

EMEDDIE, Jan 15, 2011 IP
  2. guineapirate

guineapirate Member

Best Answers:
    Domain names are normally around $10 per year, I suggest using namecheap.
    Hosting is where a large company gives you a certain amount of space on their server, just use a big name and they'll have plenty more documentation, I use godaddy myself even though some people have problems with them. You can get plans as cheap as $3 per month.
    Use wordpress, wordpress.org is where you download the program to install on your domain, wordpress.com is similar to blogger, you want wordpress.org but most likely your hosting provider will have a one click install option.

Good luck, seriously.

guineapirate, Jan 15, 2011 IP
  3. EMEDDIE

EMEDDIE Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot for your assistance! Really really appreciate it!

EMEDDIE, Jan 15, 2011 IP
  4. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    GoDaddy does one thing well, and that is Domain registration. Out of all the domain registrars out there, they are easy to work with. The fees are not any less or more than other registrars. But they do have great tools to administer you domain such as A Record editing and Off-site DNS.

For hosting WordPress, most hosts offer easy "one-click" installation which is not a factor anymore. GoDaddy, quite frankly, sucks for WordPress hosting and I am personally migrating all of my installations to BlueHost. I am not suggesting BlueHost, it is just my preference at this time and that opinion can change later down the road.

Some of the most recommended hosts would be BlueHost and HostGator. That is my jist of the conversations out there concerning WordPress hosting. If you want a somewhat decent review of hosts, check out Top 10 Web Hosting to do your own research.

Dodger, Jan 15, 2011 IP
  5. karanganyar

karanganyar Peon

Best Answers:
    dont give up,,,,keep survive in blogging

karanganyar, Jan 17, 2011 IP
  6. KimiGermany

KimiGermany Peon

Best Answers:

1. Domain: Some hosting give you a lifetime free domain name together with their hosting package. You can pay monthly or yearly, but i recommend yearly, because if its monthly it is more expensive than yearly, and you will have to renew your contracts per month, can be pain LOL.

2. You can use wordpress or blogger to work on your blog, i recommend wordpress, because its more popular than blogger, plus wordpress has hundreds of free useful plugins, and blogger don't have it.

3. Difference wordpress.com or wordpress.org: wordpress.com is free blog, but you can't add adsense or other monetizing methods, if you use their free blogs.
    wordpress.org is wordpress zip file that you will install in your hosting.

4. My advice, Pm me since i am offering free service, Thesis 1.8 SEO theme that is 87$ worth as bonus :)

Good luck

KimiGermany, Jan 17, 2011 IP
  7. WP Oasis

WP Oasis Peon

Best Answers:
    For hosting, Host Gator and Bluehost are great. They offer simple scripts installations of WordPress. Basically, they do the install for you. It takes a minute, then you can get blogging. I would register my domain with GoDaddy though...cheap and easy.

WP Oasis, Jan 18, 2011 IP