1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How difficult it is to get into DMOZ? Does it help enough in Search Engine Ranking?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by amandagates, Jan 18, 2011.

I tried twice to get my website Ads4India listed into DMOZ & failed both the time. What is their criteria for inclusion? And whether it helps in improving Search Ranking?

amandagates, Jan 18, 2011 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  2. perrysperspective

perrysperspective Peon

Best Answers:
    Your website offers absolutely nothing and there are millions just like it.

There are guidelines provided by DMOZ (pretty hard to miss) that explain why your site wouldn't be included. Why not READ it?

perrysperspective, Jan 18, 2011 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  3. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You broke the guidelines you said you had read.......those saying only suggest ONCE. Doing it more may disadvantage your site and will not make anything happen any quicker.

You have to wait until an unpaid volunteer working in their spare time volunteers to work in that section of the Directory. It can also take from a few days to a few YEARS for a review to a possible listing, so how do you know that you have been rejected. Chances are that it sits waiting for that volunteer. Have you volunteered to be an editor?

As editors of DMOZ were are not interested in any value that a listing might give to a site, so I cannot comment on that, but will add that we are not just interested in sites that seem to be high ranking, we are only interested in unique content that we are prepared to categorise for the use of anyone searching the internet and wanting to use collated, categorised material. So sites we list may not have any ranking at all, just unique content.

Anonymously, Jan 18, 2011 IP
  4. Store_Developer

Store_Developer Peon

Best Answers:
    You are right amanda, their criteria is much confusing and difficult for newbies, I also want to use dmoz for listing my website but don't know how to move forward.

Store_Developer, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  5. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Find the category that best suits your site which will be full of unique content, check if there is a category description and look at the sites already listed.
    Write a description that is factual, no hype, like best in the world, which tells surfers what the site is and what they will find there, criteria is that the surfer should know if they want to visit from this description.
    Write a title that is the one you use on the site.
    Press the button, then go and forget it, there is nothing more that you can do to promote your site and it can take from a few days to a few years for a review for a possible listing. Final word do NOT re-submit, it can delay a review and that can be a looong time anyway sometimes.
    Simple what is complicated about that?

Anonymously, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There is PLENTY one can do to promote the site... as not all editors use the unreviewed queue to find listings, that means any promotion outside of the ODP can result in such an editor finding the site and adding it... meaning there is plenty to be done if one wants an ODP listing. Just to be clear :D

Qryztufre, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  7. zlori

zlori Peon

Best Answers:
    To answer the question as well - Yes, it do help. All of the SEO companies (from the US, CA, RO and India) where asking/checking if we are listed at DMOZ.
    Also other big companies (like Google itself) uses the same directory as their own so you get many great value backlinks (PR4+).

zlori, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  8. dress4less

dress4less Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been waiting ages for DMOZ with no success yet,I believe many others are in the same position too.

dress4less, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  9. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Don't think that all of the clones are counted. ;)

CReed, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  10. zlori

zlori Peon

Best Answers:
    I think this one does:
    http://www.google.com/Top/Recreation/Travel/

Also it's not only about the clones - it's enough if someone does not have enough relevant content and want to show some relevant pages.
    We have seen pages showing Google search results in a box on their pages from where we got many backlinks - altogether up to 20K.

zlori, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  11. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Sorry to remind you guys, but DMOZ does not exist for any value a listing might add to your site, so we are not driven by such worries or concerns. Our only consideration is to produce categorised data for those who want to use such data for searching, so we don't get wound up when a suggested site takes from a few days to a few years before it gets a review for a possible listing.

Anonymously, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  12. Excel 8

Excel 8 Guest

Best Answers:
    yes it help a lot!Its a great opportunity to be listed in dmoz but its very difficult to get listed it takes time for reviews...

Excel 8, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  13. Store_Developer

Store_Developer Peon

Best Answers:
    I want to know that how listing in domz help to get traffic on website or to increase in business?

Store_Developer, Jan 26, 2011 IP
  14. GuidoB

GuidoB Member

Best Answers:
    I've tried to get into DMOZ a lot of months ago, but I'm still not in there. But I've heard from people that if you register your website it can take up to a year (or more) before they sumbit your site :S

GuidoB, Jan 26, 2011 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    How can a person posting Anonymously be the spokeperson for the ODP?

The ODP was founded on promoting the sites of the founders of the ODP, so you are right (sort of)... but still, you are not the spokesmen for the directory, so please don't speak for it.

Qryztufre, Jan 26, 2011 IP
  16. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Stirring the pot again i see, Q.

I believe the gentleman is talking from an Editors point of view and is offering his opinion.....I cant see how any normal person can take this as being a Spokesman For DMOZ.

I can of course see how you can twist things so that you can see it as such.

snooks, Jan 27, 2011 IP
  17. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No it wasn't.

- The founders founded ODP (It had several earlier names) [1998]
    - They later sold it to Netscape
    - Netscape was then acquired by AOL
    - Meanwhile, the original founders, having nothing better to do, created Topix and then did a deal with AOL to list Topix pages within ODP. [2004]

Q is, of course, well aware of all this but he's rarely been known to let facts get in the way of a smart comment.

** Dates added to help Q to understand the chronology

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
    jimnoble, Jan 27, 2011 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Are you on drugs?

If he was talking about his own opinion he would have said I and me not we and us which means he's speaking for the rest of the editors, and therefor the ODP itself (as yes, thats how it works)

Indeed! I fully agree that promoting their own sites wasn't on their minds at all. I stand corrected, and the fact that at least one of the founders has nearly 20,000 deep links to a single site would be an indication that self promotion was the FURTHEST thing from their minds, when a normal site has a hard time getting 2 links.

Qryztufre, Jan 27, 2011 IP
  19. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Twist, turn and stir all you like Q.......you certainly cant change what people mean, simply because you wish to do so.

Im not, but it appears that you are. If you arent, then im pretty sure that you should be :) Thanks for asking about my well being :)

snooks, Jan 28, 2011 IP
  20. jsimpson

jsimpson Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow.. can anybody refer service for dmoz exclusion if any ?

jsimpson, Jan 28, 2011 IP