1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Penalizing For selling Links on Your site?

Discussion in 'Google' started by ExoticMike, Jan 18, 2011.

I received a news letter stating that Google will penalize for selling links, and for having to many out bound links, even if they are relevant to Your site. They are claim that there is to much spam in organic search results. Has any one noticed this effect yet. I noticed my landing page has not been coming up as much as it has in the past. Any ideas on what to do or how to fix it?

ExoticMike, Jan 18, 2011 IP
  2. The Stealthy One

The Stealthy One Well-Known Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Are you using these techniques? Obviously, reversing them would be the first step towards fixing the issue.

The Stealthy One, Jan 18, 2011 IP
    ExoticMike likes this.
  3. robs132

robs132 Peon

Best Answers:
    You need to be more inconspicuous with "selling links" maybe try putting them incontent rather than in your sidebars. Make them part of your content and disguise them a little more.

robs132, Jan 18, 2011 IP
    ExoticMike likes this.
  4. ExoticMike

ExoticMike Member

Best Answers:
    No one banner ad, and it is down already, I have three on my links pages. But i don't know if I should take them down. I am not selling space at all. Just trying to help people out. Are they doing this so that we are forced to use Adsense?

5. sitacomments

sitacomments Peon

Best Answers:
    I am really not sure if Google has any way to find this selling links on a website. And, what about those web directories having sponsored listing... are they not selling links?

sitacomments, Jan 18, 2011 IP
    ExoticMike likes this.
  6. ExoticMike

ExoticMike Member

Best Answers:
    Here is what was wrote, I may be way off in understanding, I am still new to all of this. I just wanted to post this so that way I do not start a snow ball of wrong information one question.
    *snip*

Google Webmaster Tools notice of detected unnatural links on [domain]!

We’ve detected that some or all of your pages are using techniques that are outside our quality guidelines, which are available here.

Specifically, look for possibly artificial or unnatural links on your site pointing to other sites that could be intended to manipulate PageRank. For more information about our linking guidelines, visit this page.

We encourage you to make changes to your site so that it meets our quality guidelines. Once you’ve made these changes, please visit https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/reconsideration?hl=en to submit your site for reconsideration in Google’s search results.

*snip*

Matt Cutts, a member of the Search Quality Group at Google has confirmed that Google is now penalizing sites who are selling links. Here's the quote from a comment he posted on Webmasterworld:

"Yup, I believe that's real. Remember at Pubcon I said we'd be ramping up our transparency when we think a site is outside our guidelines? This is one of those instances. The key part of this email is "Specifically, look for possibly artificial or unnatural links on your site pointing to other sites that could be intended to manipulate PageRank." So one thing to look for is anything that could be considered linkselling, past linkselling, or that sort of thing."

My advice to bloggers and webmasters is to consider very carefully if it's worth exchanging links with a commercial website, even if that website is related to your websites subject matter and looks non-spammy, friendly and useful. If you have several links like this already, I'd recommend assessing each one using the following criteria:

* If the website you're linking to engages in excessive link exchanging, remove the link.
    * If the website has very little original content and lots of junk content they've scrounged from around the web and dumped on their site, remove the link.
    * If they have excessive advertising or very agressive ads or affiliate programs, remove the link.
    * If they have any other red flags like appearing on Google's list of unsafe sites or McAfee's list of bad websites, remove them.

The above list is simply my opinion and is a list of general heuristics that might indicate a site that could get you penalized, either because they are considered spam/dangerous by Google or because Google may bucket you as a link-exchanger site.

Remember that the best quality links, both incoming and outbound, are links that are organic and not reciprocal (not link exchanges). They are links that exist purely because someone found a resource on the web useful. While Google's algorithm has changed over the years, they still rely heavily on the link structure of the web to find the best content. If you engage in link exchanges you are hurting their ability to find useful content. Recently you've probably noticed a lot more spam in Google's search results. Google is now fighting this problem aggressively so expect to see more penalties for link manipulation and web spam.

7. DoDo Me

DoDo Me Peon

Best Answers:
    sell links is not a problem, sell too much links (specially unrelated links) on 1 page leads to be detected is a problem

DoDo Me, Jan 18, 2011 IP
    ExoticMike likes this.