1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How To Turn Laptop Into Web Server

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by webdesignersuk, Jan 16, 2011.

Hello i am not sure if this is possible i have a 2gb laptop with a 1.66 ghz dual core processor 250gb hard drive running on vista home premium

I already have a few hosting accounts but i would like to try and have a go at setting up my own server and hosting my own websites from home, i understand there can be security issues with home servers but this is really just a test to see if i can get my pages to load faster hosting myself.

Any ideas on where to start?

webdesignersuk, Jan 16, 2011 IP
  2. konrad

konrad Peon

Best Answers:
    I would not recommend it, it would be more of a hassle, and you'd be much better off getting a cheap shared plan. You'd need to keep your laptop on 24/7, and your speeds would probably be slower. Your ISP may have rules against hosting websites anyway, I would find that out first.

konrad, Jan 16, 2011 IP
  3. Rudolf Bodocsi

Rudolf Bodocsi Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

You can try from home but your internet provider will be unhappy. You need to install Web server + Database Server + FTP Server and another server dependent what you want to do. For web server you can use Microsoft ISS server or Apache (free) server. You will be need PHP as well. For Database server you can use MS SQL Server or MYSQL(free). For FTP Server yo can use Fillezilla's FTP Server. And you will be need to do lot off configuration.
    You Can download WAMP Server which is Apache + PHP + MYSql in one package. You don't to match care for configuration. You don't forget to open port 80 on your router for inbound connection.
    And you need to install good firewall on your laptop.

Rudolf

Rudolf Bodocsi, Jan 16, 2011 IP
  4. webdesignersuk

webdesignersuk Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you i wil give it a go

This is a lot harder than what i thought it would be, is there such thing as an all in one ?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
    webdesignersuk, Jan 17, 2011 IP
  5. TheFall

TheFall Banned

Best Answers:
    Do you want to use it for own projects or for public hosting?

TheFall, Jan 17, 2011 IP
  6. Sxperm

Sxperm Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Are you serious? Even most PC cannot be a good web server so laptop is outrageous. The biggest issue for laptop is its heat. Web server need to stand for 24 hours 7 day every day. I do not see the possible for laptop to stand that long without a downtime. Not even to speak about page loading time, will not faster as you expected of course.

Sxperm, Jan 17, 2011 IP
  7. Thales

Thales Peon

Best Answers:
    Mate, unfortunately, it is not practical, for a number of reason, the most obvious being:

(i) Cost effectiveness - what you would pay in terms of electricity and bandwidth (if your site has a lot of traffic)
    (ii) Speed - Your consumer level broadband package may not have the ability to hand the traffic for your site; that is, if your ISP allows it in the first place
    (iii) Downtime - If you're laptop has a technical issue, your ISP is down, your system security is compromised, then your site will be inaccessible for the period of time

Plenty more reasons why it is not a good idea, but you get the drift. Besides, if this is only a personal project/non-commercial and you wish to save on the cost, just engage a free hosting service.

Thales, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  8. LeenkzMike

LeenkzMike Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are doing it just to see if you can do it, basically a pet project, then yes go for it. But, on the other hand, if you are actually thinking about hosting sites long term on your lap top, and have actual people access those websites, and have a good experience, you are highly dilluted.

LeenkzMike, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  9. webdesignersuk

webdesignersuk Peon

Best Answers:
    as i said in my first post this is just a test to get familiar with how servers work i am not planning on using my laptop to serve my public sites they are hosted with my hosting company.

I have a spare laptop and the screen is damaged so i'm not fussed about breaking it i just thought it would be interesting to see how it all works

Is there any software which does it all in one? with a interface that is quite easy to use?

webdesignersuk, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  10. steaner

steaner Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I want to try too, why not?

Is there any software which does it all in one? with a interface that is quite easy to use?

steaner, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  11. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you are not some server / coder guru, then do not waste your time. There is so much involved in setting up a server, and
    once you run into a glitch, and you do not know servers, or coding, then you are screwed right off the bat, you will just
    end up coming here asking "how do I fix this" some thing are worth doing Just to see...this is not one of them...

dscurlock, Jan 23, 2011 IP
  12. webdesignersuk

webdesignersuk Peon

Best Answers:
    Can anyone help?

webdesignersuk, Feb 4, 2011 IP
  13. srisen2

srisen2 Peon

Best Answers:
    there is no difference in setting up a laptop than a desktop or server as a webserver the only difference is the hardware in each of these machines. The biggest issue when setting up a server is finding a capable internet connection which will allow you to push out your content on port 80.

Most isp's will block you from doing this unless you get a business account which usually start at $150/mo or so. After that you just setup apache or iis and connect your database and program software and your good to go.

srisen2, Feb 4, 2011 IP
  14. webdesignersuk

webdesignersuk Peon

Best Answers:
    I think i have business broadband its the top package with virgin i nearly had it going yesterday using apache and wamp it would be good if there was 1 application which does all the config itself. The server i think is really interesting i want to learn as much as i can about it

webdesignersuk, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  15. seangcxq

seangcxq Peon

Best Answers:
    Just don't use it for a public website, as your ISP will definitely have rules against it. I'll write you a quick tutorial for a super simple linux webserver.

Edit: In fact, I'll guide you through it. Send me a PM.

seangcxq, Feb 5, 2011 IP
  16. swilsonalfa

swilsonalfa Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all, I wouldn't run a hosting server on Vista. I would recommend reinstalling with linux, such as CentOS. You can then install cPanel etc which will make hosting your sites easier. However, as everyone has said, your ISP may have limitations on what you can host, let alone your upload speed. You many need to purchase a business service that has a good upload speed as well as the ability to host your own servers. I would also recommend having a separate internet connection for your server, so when your downloading it doesn't slow down your hosting server.

In saying all that - Why pay over $100 for a business internet service and power costs when you could grab a hosting account for < $10 a month or a decent vps for < $50 a month? In a real, secure, datacenter location.

swilsonalfa, Feb 7, 2011 IP
  17. srisen2

srisen2 Peon

Best Answers:
    i would also recommend centos as it is the best and most widely accepted production software on the market for a server environment

srisen2, Feb 7, 2011 IP
  18. hostimizer

hostimizer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes u can do u use xampp after u make u laptop as a webserver

hostimizer, Feb 7, 2011 IP
  19. webdesignersuk

webdesignersuk Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your help i will take a look into the xampp

webdesignersuk, Feb 13, 2011 IP
  20. ariyes

ariyes Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I like it, i also want to know about how to build a server at home! It will be a great experience.

ariyes, Feb 13, 2011 IP