1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Designing Themes for WordPress - A business approach

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by pratik, Jan 13, 2011.

I like designing themes for WordPress.
    Not primarily because I am a designer, but because I have and had so many blogs on which I have used WordPress.
    As a CMS it is very versatile and can be used in many different ways. This is what excites me.
    I have setup and managed sites using WordPress under many solutions like portfolio, news portals, directory, multi-author blog, social networking...

After being so well versed with WordPress I started designing themes which I could not find online. There are many newspaper themes and magazine themes out there but very few up to the mark. Lately I have designed 3 WordPress designs, but now I don't exactly know what to do about it an how to move ahead and take it to a level where it generates some revenue and offers better themes.

I have few options in mind, but confused....
    1. Get the themes coded and pay for the coding from my savings. Have a footer link saying "Designed by" and get my name out there. This would also mean that good themes would be available freely to be used...

2. Get the theme coded and pay from my savings. Sell the theme online at concessional rates so its not heavy for regular bloggers to buy and I can recover my coding expenses.

3. Partner with a WordPress Theme developer / coder and share the profit.

I am guessing there would be many other designers and WordPress users here, who at some point have faced the same situation. What suggestion you have for me?

Feel free to comment or ask.

pratik, Jan 13, 2011 IP
  2. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    So when you say that you design themes, you are just talking about graphics? And then need them coded for WordPress?

Do you have any examples of your work?

Dodger, Jan 13, 2011 IP
  3. pratik

pratik Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes by designing I mean only graphic. I design in Photoshop and Illustrator.

Well as for samples. I won't mind showing you some on chat / PM as all are unreleased.

pratik, Jan 13, 2011 IP
  4. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    PM me a few screenshots. I may be interested in pursuing this with you. I am terrible at graphics, so this may be a good match.

Dodger, Jan 13, 2011 IP
    pratik likes this.
  5. andrej

andrej Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You can partner with a Wordpress developer and sell themes on themeforest.net, but you need tip top design theme to get it accepted.

If your designing skills are not of the themeforest standards, you can always release free WP themes with your links in the footer. Or you can sell the links in the footer here: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

andrej, Jan 13, 2011 IP
  6. pratik

pratik Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds good. I have PM you one of my designs. Its a design for which can be used by book authors, designer...

Hey the themeforest suggestion is great. Thanks.
    Yes selling links in footer is an option, but now a days people dont bid much for links

pratik, Jan 13, 2011 IP
  7. Dodger

Dodger Peon

Best Answers:
    Got your PM. Original concept, IMO.

Themeforest takes a big chunk of your theme fee. But, they do get your work published to a massive audience.

As for selling links, (aka link-whoring), nah. Not really worth it. Better off linking to yourself for more traffic and sales. Besides, there is nothing tackier than having a bunch of links to taxis for hire, pre-paid phone cards, and off-site betting in the footer of your theme.

Dodger, Jan 13, 2011 IP
  8. pratik

pratik Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you in the point of selling links.... its a total turn off....
    I mean a footer text like "Designed by Pratik and Sponsored by Dodger" is at one point acceptable.. but company links which are totally unrelated to the theme design is a big NO..

pratik, Jan 13, 2011 IP