1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Some Directories Damage SEO?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by GrantDraper, Jan 12, 2011.

I know that some directories will not help at all, where as others will actually decrease the quality of weight that Google gives a site because they are known for spamming or whatever. Does anybody have a list of directories that should be avoided? Or this problem a lot less signicant than a lot of people think?

GrantDraper, Jan 12, 2011 IP
  2. Marshall83

Marshall83 Peon

Best Answers:
    That has to be personal decision that comes from experience. You need to judge how much benefits you will get from directory. Check the other pages and links in that directory and see how quality they are. But in general directory backlins are not quality backlinks at all.

Marshall83, Jan 12, 2011 IP
  3. tornado!

tornado! Active Member

Best Answers:
    You have no idea what you are talking about. No link from a directory is going to hurt your search positions. If it were possible, then everyone would be getting plenty of links for their competitors.

tornado!, Jan 12, 2011 IP
  4. Sxperm

Sxperm Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Links from useless web directories may be counted as zero but no negative side being given. Or your competitor may messed up your ranking by pointing a tons of link to your website. It is depend on your link profile as well. A links from quality website / web directory could help established more authority on your link profile. I would recommend you stick with these three directories first - Yahoo / Business.com / Botw.org. DMOZ is another best option available but it does take forever times to get your website listed there.

Sxperm, Jan 12, 2011 IP
  5. freelistfool

freelistfool Peon

Best Answers:
    Sxperm is right. Google can't downgrade your site because of a link from a bad web directory or your competition could crush your rankings.

freelistfool, Jan 12, 2011 IP
  6. GrantDraper

GrantDraper Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for that & Tornado; if you have not got anything constructive to say, don't bother saying anything.

GrantDraper, Jan 12, 2011 IP
  7. rohnsmith

rohnsmith Active Member

Best Answers:
    I do not think any submission will harm your seo ranking. unless you go for reciprocal linking...

rohnsmith, Jan 12, 2011 IP
  8. diggs11

diggs11 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Web Directories always help to your website and its never damage to your seo ranking. People doing directory submission for long time ago. They never disappointed to do that again i m saying no one directory can't effect your seo ranking that's all.

diggs11, Jan 12, 2011 IP
  9. JessicaHoward

JessicaHoward Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes its true that No link from a directory is going to hurt your search positions.It depends on you that how you submit your site.

JessicaHoward, Jan 12, 2011 IP
  10. rehash

rehash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you have too many links from spammy directories and few quality links, I think they will actually hurt you.

rehash, Jan 13, 2011 IP
  11. tornado!

tornado! Active Member

Best Answers:
    I assure you that what I said was both accurate and constructive.

If my exposing your lack of knowledge has hurt your feelings, see a psychiatrist. My tissue box is empty at the moment...

tornado!, Jan 13, 2011 IP
  12. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I believe that any link building should be done with attention to your link profile. Google will notice if you gain links in a way that strays too far from a natural pattern.

Possible signs that your links are not natural might be:
    - your links all come from the same type of sites
    - the anchor text of your links is not natural
    - most of your links point to your homepage
    - a high percentage of reciprocal links
    - too many sitewide links
    - a high percentage of links from a few IPs

For detailed information see the Top 15 Signs Your Links are Not Natural.

CanadianEh, Jan 13, 2011 IP
    vegabond likes this.
  13. center2

center2 Peon

Best Answers:
    the overall link profile is more important then ever - so links from a variety of sources is important.

Also be careful when submitting to directories that you are consistent with the www or no www in the domain name - if you add www to the directories, it can send a ranking signal to google that will not help your mysite which you want to rank for if you use mostly no www. This has been my experience - so be careful - keep it all the same.

center2, Jan 21, 2011 IP