1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Old Backlinks Fade Away

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by billybw, Jan 9, 2011.

A lot of people create backlinks for their websites with blog comments, articles, forum posts, directory submissions, social bookmarks, and similar methods. What these people don't realize is that the value of these kinds of links diminishes as time passes. This is because the backlinks keep getting pushed down to deeper levels as new pages are created .

As an example, a post in a forum thread gets pushed to the second page, then the third page, and so on as time passes. Also, the thread itself gets pushed down as new threads are started. As the pages get pushed down, their out-links lose value.

In addition, a lot of websites eventually die or get converted to another kind of site, so that all the old links on it completely disappear from the web.

billybw, Jan 9, 2011 IP
  2. shockbody

shockbody Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you for sharing that information. I didn't realize the value diminishes in correlation to how far it gets pushed down or pushed back in pages. I am new to Digital Point and I have been poking around in here... One thing I read was someone said that forums and blog backlinks do not have much value to start with. Is this true?

shockbody, Jan 9, 2011 IP
  3. fdamours

fdamours Peon

Best Answers:
    That information is completely false. Spreading false SEO rumors won't help anyone.
    In fact if you experiment yourself you will realize that old backlinks tend to give more value as with time a page PR will get higher and establish a higher level of trust.
    So please, I have no idea who told you that, or where you get your source from; But don't go around confusing people trying to learn properly about SEO.

Dearly, Fdamours
    And if you need me to give you further information contact me and I will be please to teach you.

fdamours, Jan 9, 2011 IP
  4. billybw

billybw Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, these types of links generally don't have much value to begin with. People try to get them because it's mostly the only kind of links they can get. But my point is that they become even less valuable as time passes.

billybw, Jan 9, 2011 IP
  5. salyer54

salyer54 Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed I never have done much forum link marketing, they just arent really worth it.

salyer54, Jan 9, 2011 IP
  6. asepsjmak

asepsjmak Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    so what the type of backlink that have really worth?
    i just a little people, just a little know, but i wont to try anything

asepsjmak, Jan 9, 2011 IP
  7. khanter

khanter Peon

Best Answers:
    How useful are directory links? I have joined a workshop where we are using directories to get started. We are also exploring social media and learning how to build contacts and useful networks.

khanter, Jan 9, 2011 IP
  8. SEOaaron

SEOaaron Peon

Best Answers:
    Top directory links are worth it just because it passes domain trust and domain mozRank (or similar metrics). I wouldn't bother with general directories, but niche directories and geographical directories are worth it if you have the time to invest in manual submissions.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
    SEOaaron, Jan 9, 2011 IP
  9. nicolasthun

nicolasthun Guest

Best Answers:
    In the beginning some automated submissions to directories and bookmarking sites are not bad. Just try to get content links and you will be fine. Almost every link gets farther away from the homepage as time passes, but their value doesn't diminish.

nicolasthun, Jan 9, 2011 IP
  10. khanter

khanter Peon

Best Answers:
    What do you mean by automated submissions?

khanter, Jan 10, 2011 IP
  11. pageupseo

pageupseo Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not agreed with this view about old back links, because old back links are always beneficial to a website popularity or stability.

pageupseo, Jan 10, 2011 IP
  12. khanter

khanter Peon

Best Answers:
    What happens if a web site does not die and if the links are not pushed deeper and deeper? I have been told that it is best to use directories that are manually edited and which have domains that are at least three years old.

Is PR important? There are not many reasonably priced directories that offer PR and most experts appear to have different opinions about it.

khanter, Jan 10, 2011 IP
  13. bob25

bob25 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Have to disagree somewhat, the URL remains unchanged for the post itself, but on blogs certain pages like the archives may be pushed down, also forums. And some do disappear, for instance a link that gets indexed on a blogs homepage will scroll off the page as new posts appear and eventually won't show up as a link.

bob25, Jan 10, 2011 IP
  14. fionajeff

fionajeff Peon

Best Answers:
    Older backlinks are just like ginger, the older one is the spicy one. If using black hat style, it is hard to make the links to stick to your site. Cause some may be removed by the owner site or the site had closed down.

fionajeff, Jan 10, 2011 IP
  15. docdizzle

docdizzle Peon

Best Answers:
    That's why it's best to get links through article marketing as those directories are here to stay...

docdizzle, Jan 10, 2011 IP
  16. internetproz

internetproz Peon

Best Answers:
    i agree with this post but even if old backlinks get pushed it is still helpful in getting better serp rankings.

internetproz, Jan 10, 2011 IP
  17. Moris

Moris Guest

Best Answers:
    Old back links give benefit.

Moris, Jan 10, 2011 IP
  18. hhsaus

hhsaus Active Member

Best Answers:
    They might get pushed down in our eyes, but some of those old pages might still be golden in Google or Bing's eyes. They might (and they do) rank those pages a lot higher than the new ones.

hhsaus, Jan 11, 2011 IP
  19. numb2k3

numb2k3 Peon

Best Answers:
    I will have to disagree.. Yes, the pages gets pushed down but I think those pages will still have the same power it once had.

numb2k3, Jan 12, 2011 IP
  20. aupokies

aupokies Peon

Best Answers:
    Backlinks help in determining your PR. Most post really go to the inner pages, just like this forum as more person will share their inputs on the topic but the spiders will still do its job, which is to crawl even to the inner pages.

aupokies, Jan 13, 2011 IP