1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Just can't crack the Alexa top 100,000

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by bloggerpreneur, Oct 8, 2006.

My BlackBerry blog's Alexa Rank has been hovering between 101,000 and 104,000 over the passed 3 or 4 weeks, however, I cannot seem to crack that top 100,000.

Any ideas how I an get back to 15% to 25% month over month growth?

bloggerpreneur, Oct 8, 2006 IP
  2. nimamc

nimamc Peon

Best Answers:
    Try Adwords, I think that's the best way :)

nimamc, Oct 8, 2006 IP
  3. fsmedia

fsmedia Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. buy traffic, that's really going to boost your rankings if you care about them so much. Alexa rankings are worthless as long as you're converting clicks or sales.

fsmedia, Oct 8, 2006 IP
  4. alexisthemovie

alexisthemovie Peon

Best Answers:
    actually this post might be a good way of getting it there. lots of webmasters use the toolbar...

the toolbar shows 145583 for me now so you mustve gone down.

alexisthemovie, Oct 8, 2006 IP
  5. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    why do you care about the alexa rating? it's really pretty much useless until you get into the really high numbers (top 10 or 10K), and even then it's got problems.

worry about your actual visitors, not how many visitors alexa tells you you have.

disgust, Oct 8, 2006 IP
  6. bloggerpreneur

bloggerpreneur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I understand that actual traffic that converts is much better than guestimated traffic based on people that have the Alexa toolbar, however, I've heard that some CPM advertisers use your Alexa ranking as one of the factors in determining the rates which they are willing to pay for banner ads.

bloggerpreneur, Oct 8, 2006 IP
  7. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    short of any advertising agency saying that directly, I wouldn't consider that legitimate for a second.

why would they use alexa ratings, when it's known that they're not accurate, easily manipulated, and when they have direct measurements of traffic? (ie, how many times the banner was loaded with your referrer, for example)

disgust, Oct 8, 2006 IP
  8. alexisthemovie

alexisthemovie Peon

Best Answers:
    unfortunately, its pretty much industry standard to use alexa as a gauge of traffic for cpm programs. they have no other means of knowing your site's traffic.

alexisthemovie, Oct 8, 2006 IP
  9. Tyler Banfield

Tyler Banfield Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
  10. my3cents

my3cents Peon

Best Answers:
    I would not worry about cracking into the top 100,000. I've had sites in and out of the top and it doesn't ever seem to affect my traffic or ad payouts, etc.

my3cents, Oct 8, 2006 IP
  11. Vigor

Vigor Peon

Best Answers:
    consentrate on generating self sustainable long term traffic and forget about popularity indicators like alexa. Perhaps the only benefit of a top alexa rating is when selling a site.

Vigor, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  12. andy105

andy105 Peon

Best Answers:
    Alexa is pretty much about ego rather than accurate measurement. Check my blog for how to climb the rankings in easy steps.

andy105, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  13. sipltech

sipltech Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The simple reason for this is Alexa Toolbar users are reduced. Nothing to worry about alexa rankings. Now a days many people discarded the tool bar :) Alexa rank will improve only if your visitor is browsing the ite using Alexa Toolbar. This may be the case you have visitors on your site, but few of them is using the toolbar.

sipltech, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  14. DaveEMG

DaveEMG Peon

Best Answers:
    Your site has some rankings, it looks like its pretty well assembled - I think the trick is to just keep putting your pages together and run with it. It looks like you have some visitors, and definitely have a lot of depth.

Were I in your position, I might suggest running a contest or something to generate a little bit of buzz, and maybe a larger following. Also, you've got those pictures of the phones in your header.... I would do some testing to see if you turned those in to links for those specific phone sections if you got any better action on your site.

Cheers,

DaveEMG, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  15. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    they know your site's traffic based on how many times their ads are loaded :)

I'd be very, very surprised if any major CPM network uses alexa data to determine... well, much of anything. which ones have you seen doing this?

disgust, Oct 9, 2006 IP
  16. jamesplato

jamesplato Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with much of the above. perfect example is my new site alexa rank went from 3.1 million to 32k in a week. see http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?url=wikilinks.mark8t.com

the revenue is still the same. that's what I would worry about :) click conversion is what it's about --and you seem to have a pretty nice site. I;m adding to my favourites.

I did notice lots of traffic to my site from webmasters sites, which just means most webmasters use the alexa rank toolbar (to check their own rank) and the general public does not :p

jamesplato, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  17. adacprogramming

adacprogramming Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can probably crack it by just installing it in your browser and going to the site a few times a day.

I use one of my sites for work, so i'm on and off it all day. Checked my rankings and I would regularly spike at 40-50000

Took it off my browser and haven't hit 100,000 sence:p

adacprogramming, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  18. jaree

jaree Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Who cares about alexa but here is the most simplest way to be under 100k Install alexa toolbar and set your site as homepage you will see in a week that you will be about 80k or around that depending on how many times you open your browser but anyway there is no benefit of high alexa rating..not that i know of :)

jaree, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  19. alexisthemovie

alexisthemovie Peon

Best Answers:
    they wont know until you have their code on your page. they cant boot you out after for not serving enough impressions. i have experienced this first hand with many companies. a few of my most trafficked sites have alexa ranks of around 150k. i just apply with my site that has a ranking of ~50k and get in each time.

alexisthemovie, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  20. Lynn Quario

Lynn Quario Guest

Best Answers:
    I had an Alexa ranking once for under 100,000 with only 15 to 20 visitors.
    Didn't make much sense to me but the bottom line is are you making any money with a ranking such as that?

I wasn't...:mad:

It is totally useless in my opinion.

Wishing you the best of luck

Lynn :)

Lynn Quario, Oct 11, 2006 IP