1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PageRank or Internal Pages may not be Zero

Discussion in 'Directories' started by dvduval, Jan 10, 2011.

I've see a number of discussions on the web, even those involving google employees where they say:
    1. Pagerank in the toolbar is an incomplete snapshot of pagerank for a page
    2. There are lots of internal pages not showing pagerank even though a value exists

This likely means there are lots of subpages on blogs, forums (this one), and directories (!!) that have pagerank, but is simply isn't being shown.

Do you agree?

dvduval, Jan 10, 2011 IP
    Mia likes this.
  2. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I disagree, if I don't see a number on the tool bar, then it's zero, but I understand what I think you're trying to imply here, just because inner pages don't have a number it does not mean it has no value or not counted on.

wwws, Jan 10, 2011 IP
    jetbrains likes this.
  3. hhsaus

hhsaus Active Member

Best Answers:
    Agree. Only Google knows the actual PR. The number seen on the toolbar is just a snapshot from the past.

hhsaus, Jan 10, 2011 IP
  4. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So if you are trying to boost your pagerank, you if a page is one click from a pagerank 4 homepage for example, it may be a 2 or a 3.

dvduval, Jan 10, 2011 IP
  5. Harkster

Harkster Guest

Best Answers:
    Agree. The whole public page rank is just about as useful as mammary glands on a male swine. You really think the most unholy G would let the unwashed masses know anything important? We all forget they are a seller of advertising first and all other things are secondary.

When I look at submission to a directory PR is the last thing I consider. Do I watch PR? Yes but I also take the public number with a gigantic grain of salt.

Harkster, Jan 10, 2011 IP
    jetbrains likes this.
  6. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would agree.

xc06, Jan 10, 2011 IP
  7. Excel 8

Excel 8 Guest

Best Answers:
    PR doesn't have much factor anymore... there are PR 0 or N/A that are ranking good than those have high PR.

Excel 8, Jan 10, 2011 IP
  8. Tiffany Jewelry 2

Tiffany Jewelry 2 Guest

Best Answers:
    Personally, I agree with the view or an optimist, but as an optimistic person should also be noted that the pessimistic side.

Tiffany Jewelry 2, Jan 10, 2011 IP
  9. jetbrains

jetbrains Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I disagree, Many high quality directories indeed have inner pr.
    For example: kahuki.com, kwika.org, indexlogic.org and botlink.org

jetbrains, Jan 10, 2011 IP
  10. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    But algorithmically one click off the homepage would indeed have pagerank, unless there is some penalty. The main problem I have with that is there are lots of 0 pagerank pages that rank well, including internal pages. Right here on this forum there are tons of pages getting decent rankings that are showing a 0 pagerank. In reverse, there are a few directories I know with high pagerank but little traffic from google searches. In my opinion, Google is purposely not showing pagerank on internal pages as often, and certainly not updating what they show as often. But that doesn't mean the pagerank doesn't exist. I can't prove any of this, nor can anyone really, but it is my theory.

dvduval, Jan 10, 2011 IP
  11. serenarichard

serenarichard Peon

Best Answers:
    i simply disagree with their statement. By the way where is it written, share the link so that we could know about it.

serenarichard, Jan 10, 2011 IP
  12. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The flow of PR on inner pages depends on how strong the Main page are and how well the inner pages are promoted, most inner pages aren't given rank because for the most part they become static with no new content so no rank are given to it, unless off course someone are linking to those pages like in some of those popular blogs/forum.

Back then it use to flow to inner pages when the Main page has good PR, this days inner pages needs to be promoted just it is with the Main page, to me that makes sense than what it was where the Main page gets the high PR and juice flows to it's inner pages, in todays Google ranking, inner pages must be promoted (social promotion is the most common method).

For best example, take a look at this site (icanhascheezburger.com), it's PR flows deeeeeeeeeeep, that's because it gets linked to it's inner pages by the thousands and ranks pretty well too.

wwws, Jan 11, 2011 IP
  13. tinycoin

tinycoin Active Member

Best Answers:
    do you know that Google will lose the exclusive right of PR in this year??

tinycoin, Jan 11, 2011 IP
  14. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree I have some sites that have pretty strong internal categories and a lot of times the pages will show PR0 but they have backlinks and traffic and other internal pages will show PR1or2or3 and they will have less backlinks and traffic.?

PR is not an accurate gauge IMO especially on internal pages. I look at PR just in the first glance because it is there and easy to look at but it is just a small part of what I judge a site from.

Someone told me the FireFox PR toolbar will show internal pages and gets update quicker then the google one so I put it on my browser. It is not very accurate, but on this page right here the google one says PR0 and the FireFox one says PR3.?

averyz, Jan 11, 2011 IP
  15. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Totally agree. The toolbar PR has always been completely inaccurate.

Mia, Jan 11, 2011 IP
  16. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I read an interesting article somewhere where the author found/was told/theorized that PR is not actually scored in whole number or integral values. Meaning a PR of 0 is rarely a score of 0.0. My understanding is N/A meant either the PR couldn't be accessed (connection issue) or the page had not been evaluated yet - the implication that every evaluated page had been awarded some PR even if it was some small fraction of a point. If I remember correctly there was mixed opinion if rounding occurred or if the numbers are simply truncated for the score that is displayed.

Both of my directories and all of my other sites have PR on inner pages - well, except the one launched since the last update. Not 100% of the inner pages have rank by any means but it does seem related to backlinks and interlinking on the site. I've not tried it but I highly suspect that a site with enough pages interlinked (say in the order of thousands) could achieve at least PR1 or 2 even if there's not very many backlinks. But, I've also seen people hypothesize that G only counts a single backlink from a site no matter how many times it links to another site.

As to ranking in the SERPs, I think that greatly depends on the activities of the competition. I've seen where my site outranks sites with far greater PR scores simply because they have little text content or what is there is poorly SEO'ed. It doesn't always work out that way but it's cool when it does. :D

Personally, if a directory has nice rank on the homepage and no rank showing anywhere else, I usually pass it by. It suggests to me that they are only promoting the directory name or terms like "general directory", "link directory" or not working on getting any backlinks to the category pages. Or worse yet, the directory is on a dropped domain or black hat methods might be in play. That's pretty much the only impact PR has in my submission decisions; meaning I do submit to PR0 directories if they appear to be well-maintained.

I guess if you think about it, it would make perfect sense that the inner pages of a site would be scored less accurately. Think about how the Google bot travels through a site and which pages it most frequently visits. It rarely goes through every page in one pass but it seems to almost always take a peek at the homepage.

YMC, Jan 12, 2011 IP
  17. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Whilst checking one of my directories listings for dead listing, redirected domains and junk listings, I came across some big established websites that were down. I did a search on Google to get an indication of the length of time the site had been down and I found the listing detail page of my directory had some PageRank.

The directory does not have and PageRank on the categories but it has PR3 homepage.

The directory also ranks well for my main keywords, listings also often appear on the first page of Google.

I have believed that Google does sometimes hide inner PR, maybe to discourage link sellers.

PageRank has very little effect on rankings and Google seems to have lost interest in it, if the time between updates is anything to go by.

I have and do submit to paid directories without inner PR, and people are still submitting to mine.
    I have lost count of the number of times I have paid for a deeper listing as a result of higher inner PageRank, only to see that the PR had gone from the category. Age tends to play a bigger part In my submission decisions now, just look at the number of directories that have died over the years.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Jan 12, 2011 IP
  18. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I agree that pagerank plays less of a role, and more now google can identify pages that are actually helpful to people, and which have a good user response or "social indicators". That means that creating pages that are worthwhile is more important than ever.

I think there is a little truth in both of these ideas:
    1. Often inner pagerank is not given even through it exists
    2. Directories with a lot of low value links or pages are less likely to pass pagerank.

As for low value or low content pages, I call them Stub Pages, and this is something that you can work on to revive your directory! :)

dvduval, Jan 12, 2011 IP
  19. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I totally agree with your statements. PageRank is always changing. The Google toolbar PR is a representation of PR at a certain point in time. It is already out-of-date when they show it to us (right after a PR update). Right now it is really out-of-date.

CanadianEh, Jan 13, 2011 IP
  20. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, pagerank is getting pretty meaningless. Hope they will do update soon. John Mu mentioned he thought it would be soon. I don't think they calculate pagerank as often on stub pages.

dvduval, Jan 13, 2011 IP