1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Looking for idea's to start own directory

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by tridean, Oct 11, 2006.

Hi All,
    I really don't know if this is the place for this question, but here goes.

I would like to add a directory to my site. I don't want a DMOZ clone, as I already have that and hate it.

I also want to enable other's to submit their site either free, with reciprocal link, and with sponsored spots.

Do I need a programmer for this? or is this something I have to build from scratch.
    Also would it be in my best interest to optimize my pages for each category? The reason I ask this is becasue I'm assuming there is a lot of competition out there for web sites who have directories.

Cheers

tridean, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  2. mattmdesign

mattmdesign Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would use PHPLD.

mattmdesign, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  3. tridean

tridean Guest

Best Answers:
    sorry, what is that?

tridean, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  4. RedruM*

RedruM* Peon

Best Answers:
    it's a directory script..

RedruM*, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  5. bluesharki

bluesharki Peon

Best Answers:
    bluesharki, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  6. Richie_Ni

Richie_Ni Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You should try Phpld ,as you are a newbie,I'd recommend Phpld 2.0 ,it's easy to use and more SEO-friendly than 3.06 IMO..
    There're 2 links in my signature ,both of the sites are using Phpld .

Richie_Ni, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  7. Pjeras

Pjeras Peon

Best Answers:
    Take a look to this script: phpmydirectory.com/demo/index.php it is really powerful!

Pjeras, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  8. foottuns

foottuns Guest

Best Answers:
    maybe you should try joomla and mosets free directory. the cost will be for joomla free but the mosets tree directory will cost your 100 dollars, but to be honest with you is worthing, I like the services and you shoud try. go here for more details.

www.joomla.org and www.mosets.com

foottuns, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  9. tridean

tridean Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi guys, thanks for your help. I do have some options then.

I was wondering soemthing. I use cpanel and that comes with Joomla and a couple of other things. Should I use one of these CM modules in cpanel or use the phpld script?

Cheers

tridean, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  10. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    Except phplinkdirectory.com, also take a loot at indexscript.com and
    esyndicat.com.

subseo, Oct 11, 2006 IP
    daboss likes this.
  11. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    If you only want the site to be directory, no articles, nothing else, go for specialized directory script, like phpld.
    If you will prefer to go for Mosets tree anyway, you mentioned you want sponsored listings, first check if that scripts allows it. I couldn't find it on their website, but maybe it's in one of the modules they have for that script.

The above 3 I mentioned, all allow for sponsored listings (not sure if esyndicat allows that in free version, but in paid version for sure).

subseo, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  12. tridean

tridean Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi subseo,
    No, I want it as a part of my site. www.atradersuniverse.com

It's something I want to add to my site and I only want categories that are to do with my site's subject matter. I did notice that a lot of the directory sites are just directories and this is not what I want.

Regards to sponsored links, I can see no reason why these can't be added manually by me, but would that be possible?

Thanks for your time
    Dean

tridean, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  13. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    Well....I would recommend Joomla + any Joomla directory module, if you would go for a new website, or would want to move your current content over to Joomla. Their directory module seems good, but the only reason to use it I see if you have or want Joomla powered site.

For your site, I would still recommend a specialized directory script. With one exception, if you are using some CMS at the moment and it has its own directory module, I would consider that one, but I don't think you are using full-fledged CMS?

Sponsored links can be added manually, that's true. But it's a turn-off for quite a few potential buyers (I know, I have tried). Most like to pay via Paypal and just submit and pay, while manual addition isn't that fast, and believe me, quite a few don't like that. Anyway, it's still option if you don't mind.

This was speaking about sponsored links on per-category basis.

If you want sitewide sitewide links, it's no problem to enter them manually, in fact for most of the directories (except perhas eSyndicat), it's the only way.

If that would be the case, or if you don't mind adding links manually, I can also recommend you to take a look at:
    http://www.snowblind-development.com/

Particle links, http://www.particlesoft.net/particlelinks/, are nice little script good for some purposes.

cplinks.com and skalinks.com and http://www.freephpdirectoryscript.com/ are free too, and commonly used

subseo, Oct 12, 2006 IP
  14. tridean

tridean Guest

Best Answers:
    I've decided to go with phpLD. I've paid for V3 and think it will suit my needs. For the money, I think it will suffice.

Cheers for all your help
    Dean

tridean, Oct 12, 2006 IP
  15. potain

potain Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi

I too am new to php, cms and website management but I would like to develop a directory site using phpmydirectory and Joomla from the recommendations above.

The site will have free and moderately priced options for listings but I wanted to include interesting and relevant articles on SEO and web site design, would anyone know how difficult it would be to integrate the two programs togeher?

I would really appreciate any suggetions and comments.

Thank you

potain, Oct 25, 2006 IP
  16. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    What do you mean by integration? If you want to have single user accounts that are able to login to both Joomla nad phpmydirectory, it would be hard.
    However I think you only need to have same look? Thus it's a matter of finding a designer that would be able to do it for you, or two designers one for each.
    (I have myself no experience with either of the scripts, so not sure how complex that would be.)

subseo, Oct 25, 2006 IP
  17. potain

potain Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi subseo

I might have given you the wrong impression.

I'd like to use Joomla to develop the main site and have phpmydirectory sitting on the same server and have a link to and from it from the main website and also phpcoin for invoicing.

I suppose what I am asking is can you have phpmydirectory appearing in a "content area" or if that is not possible to link to it.

Actually I have just had a look at the http://demo.joomla.org/demo15/ site and in the Content Layouts page it mentions wrappers:

"Wrapper

Wrappers allow you to place stand alone applications and 3rd party websites inside your Joomla! site. The content within a wrapper appears within the primary content area defined by the "mainbody" tag and allows you to display content to display them as part of your own site. A Wrapper will place an IFRAME into the content section of your website and wrap your standard template navigation around it so it appears in the same way a content item would."

Any idea if I could use that solution and how hard it might be to implement?

Thank you.

Jean

potain, Oct 26, 2006 IP