1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Four Letter Domain Names.

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by shockbody, Jan 7, 2011.

I read a report about flipping domains like real estate. Where is the best place to try to get a 4 letter dot com name that doesn't include numbers? Is it even worth the effort in trying to pursue something like this, or am I just chasing a false paycheck.

I would think you need a little luck to make this happen?

shockbody, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  2. CameronHamilton

CameronHamilton Peon

Best Answers:
    CameronHamilton, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  3. ChristineR

ChristineR Peon

Best Answers:
    Look at it from a different perspective. Go find a niche that has heaps of hungry buyers. Dig down to find one that doesn't already have countless millions as search results. Make a choice, decide what the main keyword would be, then go get the best domain name you can find for it. It's the quality, not the brevity, that will determine the price you'll get. Something really, really easy to remember. Stick with the dotcom and avoid hypens and numbers.
    Where's the best place? Any place will do. We use ShopSmartDomains.com

ChristineR, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  4. CameronHamilton

CameronHamilton Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry I didn't read the second part of you post.

NO. It's not worth it. I mention that I bought a couple. The reason being is that when you don't have one you want one lol. It's good just to own one for the hell of it. After all it's one of my favorite domain names.

Pursueing them to flip isn't worth it. To be honest they're not quite worth it and a waste of money. Take my word for it. Buy one just to get it out of your system and don't spend thousands of dollars.

CameronHamilton, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  5. AdamFL

AdamFL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on what 4 letters, some 4 L make sense and/or easy to remember. that's the kind you want to buy and resell for profit. There's tools out there to search expired domain names but the problem is that you are not the only one who's doing this, there's others trying to do the same and you will end up in a crowd of people bidding against each other for no reason. expl: ufcs(.)com will be available tomorrow on an auction. it is a great domain name and kind of 4 L you want but by tomorrow there will be over 40 people after it... I don't think it worth it unless you are the exact end user or some psycho that has plenty of money and find an enjoyment in outbid everybody.
    IMO it's much easier/cheaper to secure generic keywords and make profit than running after 4L.
    Good luck

AdamFL, Jan 8, 2011 IP
    crumblepie likes this.
  6. kingofss

kingofss Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually it depends for your project and the domain. I know some examples of four letter domain names which is very suitable for that project. It is a benefit for that project. You should make a hard work for that.

kingofss, Jan 8, 2011 IP
  7. shockbody

shockbody Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thank you for all the great replies! I have a much better understanding, I think you are right CameronHamilton... I just need to find one and get it out of my system! LOL I also agree with ChristineR and AdamFL, I should probably focus my efforts on securing a good keyword... "quality over brevity" thats good advice. I am new here, but I am beginning to enjoy how helpful the DP community has been!

shockbody, Jan 9, 2011 IP
  8. crumblepie

crumblepie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with what AdamFL said, and on top of that I just want to add that if you are after reselling domains, LLLL.coms are easiest to liquidify. You might spend longer trying to sell keywords. I'd say why not buy a couple and see how it works out? My advice is do not spend too much into something you do not know much about. So buy something cheap just to get a taste of what its like. All the best!

crumblepie, Jan 10, 2011 IP