1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Just sold a site for $10,000 - Ask me any Questions

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by NewTier, Jan 5, 2011.

I just sold a site for $10,000.

Ask me any question about anything related to marketing, and I will post a good response.

To start off, if you are targeting Plenty of fish advertising, then use sessions count less than 1. Anything greater, and users are ad blind.

Keep track of all your website stats using Analytics and Awstats and use Userfly or Clicktale. This is helpful when selling to the new buyer.

Offer the buyer full support to transfer their site.

Always ask for bank wire, and if not use escrow.com and make them pay fees. Set the inspection period to 2 days or 1 day.

How to advertise your site and get a lot of traffic?
    Message everyone and implement some sort of viral effect in it. I made a points system where users can redeem their points for a gift card when they refer 200 new sign ups they get a $20 gift card. My site grew like crazy.

International users are just as good in promoting your site.

Do not waste time with Twitter Ads, they will NOT get you any traffic.

When using adwords, make the ads as relevant to your page as possible to increase quality score.

Any more advice I can give? Just post any questions and I will answer in groups.

I've been in over 100 niches, so ask anything! :)

NewTier, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  2. SabTech

SabTech Member

Best Answers:
    If i make a tutorials site, you think its a good thing and can i earn good thing with it ???

SabTech, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  3. kraran

kraran Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a question.
    Wasting time answering other people's questions is a good marketing strategy?
    thanks!

kraran, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  4. tankard

tankard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good job man!

1. Shall we bring the age-old discussion back to life: convential marketing methods (article marketing/forums/blog commenting/directories) - have you found this working for your niche or not?

2. How did you find a serious buyer? I've noticed that there are a lot of bargain-hunters around trying to get good quality sites for a couple of quid :D

3. Wire transfer? Eh? :eek: I though it was the best way to get yourself scammed??

4. Are you a one-man band or do you have people who do things for you, i.e. are you outsourcing a lot of work?

tankard, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  5. quicksweet

quicksweet Peon

Best Answers:
    1. How much revenue is your website a month generating to worth $10,000?
    2. How much traffic is your website a month?
    3. How much money have you invested in the website until it was sold?
    4. Where did you list your website for sale?

quicksweet, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  6. faheem334

faheem334 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I also want to ask these questions.

faheem334, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  7. bgroup

bgroup Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting questions, can you also reveil the url of the site?

bgroup, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  8. facetube

facetube Peon

Best Answers:
    Congrats on making that much money....

facetube, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  9. NewTier

NewTier Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @SabTech - Yes tutorial sites can make a lot of money. Which niche is it? Photoshop? Coding? No matter what, you can always sell ad space. This is a group of targeted visitors who are always interested in paying money to further their knowledge so advertisers are always interested in buying ad space. This niche is prime since users who learn from your site, make money in turn themselves, so they have a lot of money to spend. I saw a tutorial graphics site sell for $100,000. You can sell premium membership as well; like $19.95/mo, for premium content, and a lot of users will join. It will be your own automated money maker! To advertise use Flippa.com or go on http://web.blogads.com/ and Adbrite.com, and target Graphic Blogs!
    Use QuantCast Media Planner, and try to find graphic blogs and offer $30/day or something like that to put your own ad there, and in exchange, the visitors you get will make you a lot MORE than than $30 you spend. Imagine the repeat visitor and if they upgrade to premium then you will get money. If not they will spread the word and that will STILL make you money.

@kraran - Nah when you get to where I am you'll be in a good mood and feel like helping people for free.

@tankard - Articles have helped a lot. ArticleBase.com gets your articles approved faster, and whatever you put for the title you will easily rank on the first page of google for. EzineArticles.com have always ranked higher though but take longer to get approved.

A trick I use is to buy premium membership with EzineArticles, mass submit 90 or so articles. Then ask for the 30 day refund and get back all my money.

Also buy hits to your articles so they rank #1 in the category. By doing this, you will keep getting fresh google bots, and your site's SERP will go up as well.

Use profile backlinks and point them to your article with the anchor keyword you are trying to target.

Directories are still very effective and so are blog commenting.

will post more later!

1. How much revenue is your website a month generating to worth $10,000?

$1000 per month profit

2. How much traffic is your website a month?

About 100-200 visitors per day

3. How much money have you invested in the website until it was sold?

$0, all 100% free traffic, all coded by myself

4. Where did you list your website for sale?

I used the unconventional: http://buysellwebsite.com/
    Normally I use Flippa.com

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
    NewTier, Jan 5, 2011 IP
    tankard likes this.
  10. anonymou52

anonymou52 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, some great points there, and I really would appreciate it if you could reply to me. First of all, I run a new technology related ecommerce site.

You mentioned you used a points sytem, I can do the same, how would you recommend it be advertised? On the homepage right? And for a $20 gift voucher, how many sign ups do you reckon is fair? Also, you mentioned that your site received 100-200 visitors a day, was your profit margin high to get $30 profit a day, or did you have high sales volume, or was it a unique niche? I think you didn't do the directories/blog commenting yourself, so again is it worth investing in?
    Currently I am running a few adwords campaigns, what do you suggest is a good daily spend? And in regards to SEO, and you mentioned also article submitting, how much do you value their worth and recommend being spent? Oh and one last thing. I was having issues setting up a payment gateway, if your site was an ecommerce like mine (I'm guessing), which did you use? And if it was an ecommerce, did you dropshipping?

Thanks

anonymou52, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  11. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    congratulations! care to share the site?

webcosmo, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  12. CaLLMeDaDDy

CaLLMeDaDDy Peon

Best Answers:
    Health niche on blogspot?

Will that work but with a .com domain ?

thanks.

CaLLMeDaDDy, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  13. Mug

Mug Peon

Best Answers:
    You need your own hosting I imagine. I know you can't advertise on a WP site that is hosted with WP unless you have over 25 000 visits per month. You have to split the advertising revenue 50 50 with WP.

Mug, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  14. madbaboonuk

madbaboonuk Peon

Best Answers:
    i have a domain that gets 150-230 views a day, it used to be a cpa marketing site. but the trouble is im new to this so i dont know much about it so today ive jsut put a single page with amazon products related to it to try and earn more than i was with google parking. any advise on how i could get good content on there or should i stick wit amazon affiliate and just make the site better with reviews on books? thanks (also it has roughly a 2%-4% ctr on google domains

madbaboonuk, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  15. piluhot

piluhot Peon

Best Answers:
    100 - 200 visitor parday, and $1000 profit par month,?

Fake

piluhot, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  16. alexmcphie

alexmcphie Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah, how did you manage to pull that off?

alexmcphie, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  17. runnerunner

runnerunner Active Member

Best Answers:
    he's not making money off of adsense, he already said it's a site where users complete offers that he probably gets commissions for. The profit for a user on that type of setup is WAY higher than contextual based advertising.

runnerunner, Jan 6, 2011 IP
    NewTier likes this.
  18. BCRed

BCRed Active Member

Best Answers:
    Less than 1? Do you mean 10? I'm assuming you're referring to their session depth targetting function

BCRed, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  19. jackqs

jackqs Peon

Best Answers:
    You said you invested nothing, so how did you get traffic?
    SEO? and articles?

jackqs, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  20. Codafly

Codafly Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm curious to see the URL to your old website!

LOL ^^

Codafly, Jan 6, 2011 IP