1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Does CTR And Historical Value Affect QS?

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Kaneda, Jan 5, 2011.

I have recently got into PPC with Adword and have been following guidelines as best I can (at the moment I don't have custom landing pages so targeting a pre-existing page) at the moment I have had impressions but no click throughs (I'm currently refining my ad text). Will This drag down my Quality Score on my keywords?

I have also started to form new campaigns for when I do get the custom landing pages, they are paused but the keywords are currently getting QS of 3-4. Will this affect my historical value and lower my QS across my other campaigns? If so I will delete these campaigns until I have the custom landing pages.

Kaneda, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  2. Lucid Web Marketing

Lucid Web Marketing Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    See Adwords FAQ for more details. The short answer is that your QS is a calculation of your click rate compared to the rate achieved by other advertisers. It is also position dependent which means that you can have any QS at any position.

There is no evidence that a poor QS in one part of a campaign affects the same keywords in another. If your CTR is higher than the historical average of all advertisers using that keyword, your QS will be calculated as such. The mean QS appears to be either 5 or 6.

The keyword relevancy portion of the QS represents about 25% of the total. You either are relevant or you're not. No in-between. So if you're not relevant, you lose 2-3 points off your QS. All PPC services have their own version of QS which is basically a comparison of click rate against competitors. That's how search engines maximize revenues. A simple system but it works.

Lucid Web Marketing, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  3. Kaneda

Kaneda Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks. I have been placing too much value on relevance relating to landing page.

The issue must be my lack of clicks. I've been getting impressions but not getting any clicks, I've tried tweaking my ad text to include keyphrases, call to action and buzz words. I've also thrown in the keyphrase into the display URL too. Hopefully this will get my target audience clicking.

Thanks for the info.

Kaneda, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  4. ramtripper

ramtripper Peon

Best Answers:
    aside from that, you have to know how good your competition is and how much they appeal because if theyre taking the spotlight, ur going to need to spit it even better than them.

ramtripper, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  5. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    CTR is the biggest contributer to quality score. If you're not getting click-thrus then 1) you're going after the wrong keywords or 2) your ad is poorly written. You should be constantly A/B testing ads. Run 2 adds for each ad group - champion and challenger. Once your challenger ad has a few hundred impressions (enough impressions to be statistically significant) look at the CTR of each add. If the challenger ad's CTR is better than your champion ad, make the challenger ad the new champion and write another challenger. Do this ad infinitum trying to always beat your current ad's CTR.

Canonical, Jan 8, 2011 IP