1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ submission

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by peugeot78, Jan 5, 2011.

Hi

I have tried for the last 12 months to get my site on DMOZ but no luck..

My site - www.driversdomainuk.com is a high quality site with lots of content but no luck...

To be honest I find it quite bizzare - you cant contact anyone..maybe I am wrong but would really like to be added.

Is there anything wrong I am doing?

peugeot78, Jan 5, 2011 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  2. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you're ignoring our submission guidelines which require that you suggest your website just once to the one best category. Your scattergun 'trying' is not only against our T&C, it also creates extra work for editors, thus slowing down the whole evaluation process for everybody.

You're not the only one of course, but you won't be doing it again will you?

jimnoble, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  3. peugeot78

peugeot78 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks - well no I wont, but it woul dbe good to be listed sometime

Rob

peugeot78, Jan 7, 2011 IP
  4. Cav

Cav Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I got my site listed after about 2 months so you probably should just wait after submission. Updating your entry works faster though.

Cav, Jan 17, 2011 IP
  5. Excel 8

Excel 8 Guest

Best Answers:
    lol!good thing you tried and wait for only 12 month me, I did it for 2 years and realize that I can't get in.

Excel 8, Jan 17, 2011 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  6. mrandrei

mrandrei Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ approval time takes forever. Hate it. I submitted my sites over a year ago but I haven't since heard anything from DMOZ. Their editors are not doing their job.

mrandrei, Jan 17, 2011 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  7. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Please do feel free to apply to become an editor. We work in our spare time for no financial reward to create a directory for those who want to search the net using classified data. We do not exist for site owners to get their sites listed like most directories. So if you want to be told that you are not doing your job, when you do not get any payment, think you can pass the entrance examination and have some hours a week to spare, then press the 'apply to edit this category' button at the bottom of most pages and our Meta editors will review your application.

Anonymously, Jan 18, 2011 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  8. petrustone

petrustone Peon

Best Answers:
    First of all thanks to Jim and Anonimously for answerring our rants here. It helps a lot.
    Maybe what Peugeot78 is saying is not too bad after all. An option to send submitters a note about their application would be nice for everybody.
    I know that you guys are doing this in your free time and having to type a few words means more time spent on this, but sometimes it helps the editors as well. It will prevent people from sending to the wrong cat, it will help them understand that their content doesn't meed editorial criteria and never submit, etc... We don't know this if you don't tell us.
    Some people, most of the site owners, are not very good with reading a small book with guidelines. By the way, I did and it didn't help... :) How can I correct my mistake if I don't know what I'm doing wrong?
    What most of the people complain about, is the lack of communication. I feel powerless, crushed by DMOZ. If someone lived in Comunist country and remembers the comunist bureaucracy knows what I'm saying. It is the same feeling, you go to the counter well prepared, with all of the papers you thought they might ask you for, and the clerk tells you that you need one more document. You come back with the missing document and they find something else missing, and the story goes on, they never tell you the complete list, you have to figure it out. Transparency is the keyword here, and whoever writes on this forum, I think I detected three or four people does a great job, I wish there were more like you...

Best

P

petrustone, Jan 18, 2011 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  9. Sate

Sate Peon

Best Answers:
    All properly written and quite clever. I come from a communist country, and understand perfectly well that what you just said.

And about DMOZ can say that waiting 12 months is not so much, I have a website for 4 years waiting for when to add it.

Sate, Jan 18, 2011 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.
  10. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The other side of the coin
    You can self-check whether or not your website is listable here. A website owner should already know that the site is broken/UC or that it has no significant content. For sites that are declined for business model reasons (think MFA or illegal), the website owner already knows that too. There's probably nothing he can do to fix the problem so there's no need to tell him that either.

We don't decline mis-suggested listable websites, we move them to the correct category for further evaluation.

We don't decline listable websites suggested with spammy KW stuffed titles, we take the time to rewrite them.

We avoid getting into dialogue with website promoters because such conversations all too often become unpleasant. Spam bombs and threats of violence are not unknown and there have been real world stalking incidents. All of these are pretty demotivating and rather detract editors from getting on with building and maintaining the directory.

jimnoble, Jan 18, 2011 IP
  11. petrustone

petrustone Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for replying. Great reasons, I must admit. I had some of those reasons in mind when I posted. I guess that trying to fix these by investing more in the technology is out of the question. I now realize that all of this may happen because of lack of resources at the end of the day. What started a few years ago and made sense at the time, is not a valid organisation model anymore. This is all doable, but it takes money, commitment, and a different financing approach. I am sure that when the right time comes the change will happen.

petrustone, Jan 19, 2011 IP
  12. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    I don't think any technology will stop people from trying to get listed at any cost. Telling someone that there site has been rejected can create an immense amount of heat. Why, did you do that. You see you say that if you don't know what you did wrong....are you willing for us just to say, we rejected it. What happens when we say, because....you then want to dispute it.....getting the picture?

On top of that search for the thread on here where Snooks was identified, despite that not being his name and he was contacted by phone and he had to involve the police. If you want to know why I post anonymously, and indeed my editor name gives nothing away to trace me, then ask Jim if he would tell people to use their real names.

It is also about the fact that we hope people, who are not the owners, will suggest sites that they think fit, they don't have the passion that the site owner has, do we have to check who sent it before we reply? Also our basic motivation is not to list suggested sites but to build categories, I have absolutely no interest in if a site is listed for any value it might add to the site, my only interest is if it will be valuable to someone who wants to use categorised materials to make their web search easier. If site owners want me to take a look at their site to see if that fits, then fine, suggest it, but I am not going to enter into any dialogue about that suggestion.

Anonymously, Jan 19, 2011 IP
  13. petrustone

petrustone Peon

Best Answers:
    If I had a bit of money and wanted to invest in DMOZ, I would do this differently. I would create two or three types of submitters, as a minimum:
    anonymous - no feedback given, only email address required
    site owner - feedback given, owner is required to authenticate as owner or admin by uploading a file on the website
    possibly registered user - something in between
    I would accept money from webmasters who are willing to pay, (Yahoo's price is outrageous but for some is worth the money), editorial criteria should not be negotiable for both paid and not-paid submissions. But I don't have all the inside information and my entire idea could be stupid in the real context.

I understand now, thanks to Anonimously's reply, that some people are crazy enough to do stupid things for a Directory listing. That's scary stuff...

You have to remain neutral no matter what, otherwise DMOZ will lose all of its significance.

My website: http://www.head-massage.net

P

petrustone, Jan 19, 2011 IP
  14. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    If you had some money you could build another directory, perhaps you describe something like Best of the Web, where owners pay for a review of a site so perhaps the site is up for sale, but why would you want to clone that sort of directory when it exists already? . DMOZ does not exist to try and do anything for any site, we exist to try and build categorised material for people who want that sort of data for their net searches. I really do not have any feelings about site owners and their sites, no more than I have for the Governments who created the stamps in my stamp collection. Personally, and I have said this many times before on here, I would turn off suggestions all together, but I lost that debate in DMOZ. I would leave editors, who understand their categories to find and select the sites they think will best build the category they are working on. That way no one could complain their site was rejected, or waited too long. We have said on here many times that editors often will not use the suggestions pool when they work a category, so why allow any suggestions?

Anonymously, Jan 20, 2011 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

They will never know unless they try... it's CLEAR the way it's going now is NOT working. You keep needing to explain why the ODP is anything but helpful! Just imagine if they could actually BE helpful! OMG, it could actually stop a LOT of the bitching going right now about it taking forever and answer a LOT of questions.

When some bloke comes in and says "they would not list mysite.com, the ODP is a bunch of crooks!" when people actually look at mysite.com they will see clearly the guy is just talking out his backside. However, as it stands a lot of folks submitting perfectly listable sites are griping because they can't get word back.

So yeah... you have a point, but its validity only holds so much water.

Why are you so against being helpful... is it because you post Anonymously?

Qryztufre, Jan 20, 2011 IP
  16. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    In my opinion, and also the experience on RZ showed that entering into conversation about particular sites and doing site reviews, only creates more heat not less.

Anonymously, Jan 21, 2011 IP
  17. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    You don't need to make it open for discussion.

An automated system with a list of possibilities would/could be better then the current system... but idealy, an actual reason would be best. It can be done via a do-not-reply email address which would certainly stop replies. And again, if they then come here (or to RZ) it would be clear that the site was not listed for the given reason, and there would be no room for debate.

As it stands now, what happens? NOTHING.... and that's the way you like it? You enjoy coming in here & bothering with such threads? It certainly appears that way.

Qryztufre, Jan 21, 2011 IP
  18. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    So we tell people they are refused and do not allow debate. That sure will keep everyone quiet, none will ever want to argue with that will they?

But I thought it was only dictators who stopped people from arguing, now you want to do it, oh sorry what have I said?

Anonymously, Jan 21, 2011 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Ahhh... but if the reason is simple, it WILL stop a lot of debate, and it WILL stop a LOT of questions. What happens now when ANY site is rejected for ANY reason... people ask WHY and blame the ODP claiming it's corrupt... is that better then saying "hey, ya got rejected cuz of _X_" allowing them to fix _X_?

Yeah, your reasoning is certainly solid!

Qryztufre, Jan 22, 2011 IP
  20. Drachsi

Drachsi Member

Best Answers:
    Reading many of the posts, is DMOZ relevant today? Yes I know it depends on volunteers, but does Bing or Google really care?

Drachsi, Feb 1, 2011 IP
    Ivan Bajlo likes this.