1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Want to start writing articles for people, good price range to come onto market?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by TeDWooD, Dec 23, 2010.

Hey guys, i've had experience writing articles for my website and have seen some pretty good results. Im now thinking of moving on and writing articles for other people and their businesses.
    How much do you think i should start charging per article considering im quite new?

TeDWooD, Dec 23, 2010 IP
  2. Rylandes

Rylandes Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah, nice question. Charging a low price could destroy the market balances.
    I can give you some views but I too still a newbie in writers field.
    So check in here searchengineoptimisation.org/textbroker-com-review, this are the prices used by textbroker based on the quality of the articles.
    Maybe other member will give us further insights.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
    Rylandes, Dec 28, 2010 IP
  3. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's a piss poor guide used to mislead writers into giving away their content for pennies. Their rate of .022 per word for "excellent" content is a disgrace.

Senobia, Dec 28, 2010 IP
  4. Rylandes

Rylandes Peon

Best Answers:
    Eh....really...? then what is the recommendable price rates per word Senobia ?
    We are newbie so we still have much to learn.

Rylandes, Dec 28, 2010 IP
  5. aeolson

aeolson Peon

Best Answers:
    I charge $19.95 minimum per 350 word article. Minimum. I am not the most expensive writer out there either. If you are a professional, you command professional rates. No one in their right mind would pay their handyman $5 to fix a leak...so why would you pay writers that? Seriously. If you think you're good, and have the experience/portfolio to prove it, you can charge as much as you think you're worth.

aeolson, Dec 28, 2010 IP
  6. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    /me nods in agreement

Folks, if you don't value yourself and your talent, nobody else will.

Senobia, Dec 29, 2010 IP
  7. Rylandes

Rylandes Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, thank you for sharing the information folks.
    This is really opening my eye. :cool:

Rylandes, Dec 29, 2010 IP
  8. dmester

dmester Peon

Best Answers:
    also depends on the type/quality of articles you want to target. there are low priced services that write poor quality articles for $6 per 500 words. for high quality, i would check the "competition" on odesk etc.

dmester, Jan 2, 2011 IP
  9. dmester

dmester Peon

Best Answers:
    one more point... you can charge what you think you are worth...but if the market doesn't think you are worth it...no one will buy!

dmester, Jan 2, 2011 IP
  10. redbananamedia

redbananamedia Peon

Best Answers:
    Brilliant topic that has been brought up here. I'm fairly new to the content writing business, after having been an advertising agency-employed copywriter for ages.
    Any idea on prices for the UK market?

redbananamedia, Jan 4, 2011 IP
  11. sunburnin

sunburnin Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd say that's a good price for excellent content. I've been looking for some lately and see 3 tiers.

>$20 for premium stuff that I'd proudly put on my top pages
    >$10 for mid level stuff that I'd use as a generic article on ezine etc to push links or some traffic Or for lesser pages that just need some quick content.
    <$10 (mostly in the $5 range) for filler nonsense that would get buried deep in a website.

sunburnin, Jan 4, 2011 IP
  12. Rylandes

Rylandes Peon

Best Answers:
    Lol, the last is making me laugh. But your stats give me an estimation of where to stand. Btw, where did you got all the job ? By joining freelance site like "freelance.com, etc" or what ?

Rylandes, Jan 4, 2011 IP
  13. sunburnin

sunburnin Peon

Best Answers:
    A colleague pointed me to 99centarticles and theat's where I see ethe really cheap stuff. Mixed reviews on the web, but I'd use if for filler on a site to boost content. Stuff I woulnd't want anyone to read, but that the search engines would see as relevant just from the words. I'll have to pull up the other sites I used from home - don't have them book marked with me right now.

sunburnin, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  14. saccarine

saccarine Peon

Best Answers:
    really?
    i interest to be copywriter..

saccarine, Jan 8, 2011 IP
  15. davesol

davesol Peon

Best Answers:
    I would definatley echo that quality deserves recognition. I have tried textbroker and a few similar services in the past and while results were not bad sometimes will probably stick to getting to know a decent copywriter to build a relationship with at a reasonable price.

I am just new to DP - this is my first post (hello everyone!)- so haven't had time to check out what people are offering on here but will be looking for UK based writers in the near future.

davesol, Jan 12, 2011 IP
  16. GrantDraper

GrantDraper Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've worked for silly rates in the past, but I'm taking a new direction. I worked for reduced rates to ensure I was working full time, which was a silly idea really. Now I'm charging double what I used to I can produce much higher quality work, and work less for the same amount of cash. I prefer to charge a flat rate (per word basis) although this might change in the future.

GrantDraper, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  17. mich.ewriter

mich.ewriter Member

Best Answers:

I think I too will be intereste in copywriting

mich.ewriter, Jan 14, 2011 IP
  18. TeDWooD

TeDWooD Member

Best Answers:
    Im glad this thread has caught the interest of many aspiring copywriters. I personally think that $10 for 350 words seems a fair price range to come in at. Especially since i have had experience writing articles for my own business.

TeDWooD, Jan 17, 2011 IP
  19. CEILA

CEILA Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I read all the entries here and I'm a bit bewildered. I'm in the US and the prices brought up here don't match my personal experiences so I'm assuming that the posters are outside of the US. I've been paid significantly better. (On average a $100 per piece).
    Since my contribution may not be relevant to you, I'd like to offer some "food for thought" if you will which should work to your advantage in ANY market. Flour can be used to bake a bread or a very fine pastry. The same is true of writing. Try offering a higher priced - and valued! - product. Speech writing is a good example of writing for profit. Writers unite!

CEILA, Jan 18, 2011 IP
  20. MarissaM

MarissaM Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, $100 a piece? I actually came here to find out what I should expect to pay for articles, but MAN, it will be a long time before i can afford it at that rate.

MarissaM, Jan 18, 2011 IP