1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Setting up an eComm site before products are ready?

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by sunburnin, Jan 4, 2011.

Has anyone set up a site like volusion or big commerce without any products? I'm looking to transfer my old website to one of these, but my stuff isn't ready to sell just yet. I'm thinking it will give me time to move the content, change links, add new content/links etc.

I hope this lets the change settle for a while to earn rankings back.

Any advice?

sunburnin, Jan 4, 2011 IP
  2. mg1313

mg1313 Peon

Best Answers:
    Why not put some replacements there, instead of your products? To play around?
    I haven't used Volusion, I only see it and frankly I don't like it, especially on the SEO side...

mg1313, Jan 4, 2011 IP
    sunburnin likes this.
  3. hhsaus

hhsaus Active Member

Best Answers:
    We haven't used volusion or big commerce, but we did set up our sites before the products were available for sale. It gave us time to add all the products, prices, descriptions, meta tags, title tags, pictures, product attributes, links....etc. And it has worked extremely well for us, especially given decent serps.

hhsaus, Jan 5, 2011 IP
    sunburnin likes this.
  4. sunburnin

sunburnin Peon

Best Answers:
    I hadn't thought of that! Perfect! Thanks for the help. It can't hurt and might supplement the costs a bit.

sunburnin, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  5. sunburnin

sunburnin Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you! That's exactly what I was thinking I could use with the time - load all the data. Glad to see it worked and didn't harm. I was concerned about people landing there and not being able to buy from the site - then never coming back in future searches if they rememebered there weren't any products.

sunburnin, Jan 5, 2011 IP
  6. sunburnin

sunburnin Peon

Best Answers:
    I signed up with BigCommerce and its very easy to port my information in. It will take a bit of time to move all my content and set up 301, but its a simple process. I'm glad I switched now instead of waiting. After playing around with it, I see how easy it is to add the products and just not list for sale yet. Thanks for the tips!

sunburnin, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  7. joshua_

joshua_ Peon

Best Answers:
    When we first launched our newest site, it didn't have a single product for close to a full quarter. I started building links well before we launched our first round of products. Once the products were on the site, we saw a dramatic boost in SERPs.

joshua_, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  8. JerrickYeoh

JerrickYeoh Active Member

Best Answers:
    i think u better do it hand on hand
    so both can done by the same time. If will trouble if you have something to sell but your website are not properly work. This will make your customers bounce up and run away. If you got the website and you do not have the product, you can just put a link or notice to let them know in website or e-mail to announce that those product when will reach.

JerrickYeoh, Jan 6, 2011 IP
  9. m0dem

m0dem Member

Best Answers:
    I would do it now so you have time to test it and all that.

m0dem, Jan 11, 2011 IP
  10. LadySlipp3r

LadySlipp3r Peon

Best Answers:
    If that's the case, why don't you put a graphic/image saying on-going development or products coming soon so the visitors expect that you'll have more products uploaded in the future. ;)

LadySlipp3r, Jan 11, 2011 IP
  11. ghokane

ghokane Active Member

Best Answers:
    i will try to do it

ghokane, Jan 12, 2011 IP