1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Illegal Submissions

Discussion in 'Design Contests' started by AKnogood, Jan 4, 2011.

I just ran a contest here on DigitalPoint to get new graphics for my websites. Unfortunately, most (about 2 out of 3) entries that I received by PM were using images from sites like istockphoto.com and fotosearch.com. I asked them if all the elements of their drawing were all done by themself and they all said that it was.

As you are all aware I could potentially get sued if I used those images on my site. I tried to find the Moderator of this section of the forum but didn't find any. Anyway, I think you should do something about this (like closing their account) since it definitely gives a bad name and make it harder for all of you who are doing a legit work. You could at least make a sticky post on how to report that kind of behavior to make it easier for people like me who try to run a legit contest...

AKnogood, Jan 4, 2011 IP
  2. jambo182

jambo182 Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Couldn't agree more. I've held contests before and people just grab an image from Google Images and smack some text on it.

There is a lot of talent here, but also a lot of chancers. I personally don't think this section is moderated efficiently enough.

jambo182, Jan 4, 2011 IP
  3. lonerunner

lonerunner Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Dont trust my words, but i think istockphoto allow usage for commercial purposes if that is stated in product, but they cant claim it's their design. Try to go to istockphoto website and read legal/usage agreement.

lonerunner, Jan 4, 2011 IP
  4. AKnogood

AKnogood Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    If I wanted an image from istockphoto I wouldnt pay to run a contest here.

AKnogood, Jan 4, 2011 IP
  5. Aquarezz

Aquarezz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 1
    That does suck, but it's impossible to know all images from the net. Except if you're with tons, but still it might be difficult to find out if the image is obtained legal or illegal. Just report that person or don't deal with him ;)

Aquarezz, Jan 4, 2011 IP
  6. atlpworld@rediffmail.com

atlpworld@rediffmail.com Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    u need to proof infront of designers first..... if designers provide u with vector format then not anyone can claim.....

7. Konata

Konata Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I know a few designers on this site that steal graphics from google. In fact i sometimes check, and wow there it is on google. They don't modify it in anyway.. just take it throw in their watermarks, and viola i'm open for business. Kinda annoys me, stealing other peoples work and getting paid for something they didn't even do.

Konata, Jan 4, 2011 IP
  8. lordjeri

lordjeri Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Well as for images that they use it shouldnt be any problem? Those are free from google?... Who will make a new graphic like a house and text in the banner for 10$?. (not saying about the logo but animated/static banner).

But like u sad by just ripping off the design and putting watermark on it thats not a way designers go. He is just an amateur looking for some quick money.

lordjeri, Jan 4, 2011 IP
  9. AKnogood

AKnogood Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    If someone send me a design where I can find 90% of the images from different sources on the web and that he claims that all elements are done by him then there's no need to proof infront of designers first.

AKnogood, Jan 4, 2011 IP
  10. nabil_kadimi

nabil_kadimi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Require that the designer send you the logo as PSD or XCF (for Gimpers), then open it and check that it has many layers.

nabil_kadimi, Jan 4, 2011 IP