why is ftp info required for each new plugin or upgrade?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by sixrfan, Dec 24, 2010.

I have the most recent wordpress version installed.

But for some reason whenever I try and add a plugin, or theme, or do a plugin upgrade, it forces me to enter:

Hostname:
    FTP Username
    FTP Password

i really want this to be automatic like it is for all my other wordpress sites. how do i stop if from requiring this info???

sixrfan, Dec 24, 2010 IP
  2. luisifer

luisifer Peon

Best Answers:
    You may search for a plugin called Fix Automatic Plugin Update from yoast.com.

luisifer, Dec 28, 2010 IP
  3. kleif

kleif Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice post.Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful!
    I’m still waiting for some interesting thoughts from your side in your next post thanks .

Nice post.Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful!

kleif, Dec 28, 2010 IP
  4. sixrfan

sixrfan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks. but any idea why it happens in the first place? does it have something to do with the hosting account setup?

sixrfan, Dec 28, 2010 IP
  5. Josh Fowler

Josh Fowler Peon

Best Answers:
    It is because your wordpress directory is not owned by the same user or group as apache is running.

For example, apache usually runs as a user and group of apache:apache. Your wordpress install is owned by your user account. Some hosting companies have apache running in as the same group as the users which solves this problem. But sometimes hosting companies will not take the time to set that up.

Josh Fowler, Dec 29, 2010 IP
    sixrfan likes this.
  6. sixrfan

sixrfan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for the informative response.

is it something that's easy, and won't cost me, to ask them to set up or is that the sort of thing that's out of the question?

<<<<<a hosting account expert I am not

sixrfan, Dec 29, 2010 IP
  7. Josh Fowler

Josh Fowler Peon

Best Answers:
    Normally it's a system wide thing. You can try to contact them and say that you are having problems since your wordpress directory group owner is not the same group that apache is running as but more then likely they won't be able to do anything for you. Or they will tell you to use their MU wordpress install through their control panel but then you are going to run in a lot more problems there...

Josh Fowler, Dec 29, 2010 IP