1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The most effective title and description

Discussion in 'Directories' started by ahkip, Oct 10, 2006.

I am going to do a few round of directory submission next month. However i had a big headache coming up some nice title and description.

so i have a question for all directory owner, what kind of title and description do you like?

ahkip, Oct 10, 2006 IP
    Correctus likes this.
  2. Correctus

Correctus Straight Edge

Best Answers:
    Give us your site! then we might assist you better, or at least PM it to me.

Anyways.

A good title/anchor text would be the keyword phrase you want to rank well for, for example if you want to rank well for Ahkip, your title should be Ahkip.

Description, well the description should be short and should be able explain the site well. For example if we have an ahkip.com blog, I'd make a description like "Ahkip's blog, the guy with multiple personalities, look at the smoking Buddha he worships, Vote for the DeniseJ he promotes and visit the awesome Forty Six and two where he lives, and not to forget..! read his blog on the way!"

It should be narrated as a third person, shouldn't have my/our/you/your/us etc.

IT

Correctus, Oct 10, 2006 IP
    ahkip likes this.
  3. dkessaris

dkessaris Peon

Best Answers:
    Title: the site's name
    Description: Provides/Features/Offers +(what your site offers)
    Alternative description: What it is, example: User edited encyclopedia of etc

dkessaris, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  4. Solar Dragons

Solar Dragons Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I think simple is best

Solar Dragons, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  5. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Anchor text : the keyword phrase you whant ratings for
    Just my 2 cents

w3bmaster, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  6. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don't really care about the SEO side, my concern is to get approved :D

ahkip, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  7. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If getting approved is what it is all about then read and follow the guidelines.

Title should be the official name of the website! Simple as that.

eg
    title: Old Welsh Guy
    description: Blog covering SEO web marketing and selling. Has links to other blogs and useful online tools as well as a question and answer area.

Old Welsh Guy, Oct 10, 2006 IP
    ahkip likes this.
  8. bbqchips

bbqchips Guest

Best Answers:
    Keep it simple, don't include promotional phrases.

bbqchips, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  9. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry Ahkip, One thing I should have said is that in a directory, the description is meant to describe the site content, NOT the company that owns the site.

e.g internet marketing company based in Wales providing web marketing and seo services worldwide.

MIGHT seem right, but it is very wrong for a serious directory, as it describes the company NOT the content of the site. It should read

Contains information about the company, contact details, help guides, articles with regard Internet marketing and SEO, plus links to other useful resources and a directory of UK Internet Companies.

The second description tells you what is on the site. IN a directory you are ALREADY in the right category, so you will be in say uk>web marketing>seo companies/ so you know full well what the COMPANY does, you now need to know what to expect on the site.

Grasp that and you are on your way to getting accepted my far more directories.

Old Welsh Guy, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  10. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well why to get aproved if not for the SEO part (ibls) ?
    Regards

w3bmaster, Oct 11, 2006 IP
  11. dkessaris

dkessaris Peon

Best Answers:
    More approvals => more backlinks
    IMO anchor text is way overated now, it doesn't have the same importance for rankings as it once did. Just like the metatags, it got abused and SEs have reduced it's importance in their algos.

dkessaris, Oct 11, 2006 IP
    ahkip likes this.
  12. Obelia

Obelia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As everyone says, the title should be the same as the site's name. So simple, it's unbelievable how many submitters get this obvious step wrong. The directories that prefer to see keywords after the official title are by far in the minority, and they never want to see more than three or four descriptive keywords anyway.

As for a description, I like to see a couple of sentences. Describe what your site has to offer in an objective manner. Maybe talk about who your target audience is, eg "tutorials for beginner and intermediate French speakers", "forums for professional chefs".

Again, I don't know of any directory that asks for a promotional description, but it's amazing how many submitters get this simple step wrong. It makes me wonder how many of them actually understand and can read English, or if they think that guidelines against promotional language don't apply to them. So don't say that your site is the best anything, and definitely don't say it's the biggest whatever, even if it is. If you have the biggest widgets forum, that's the sort of thing that can change very quickly and directory editors don't want to be updating things just because you can't write a better description.

Obelia, Oct 11, 2006 IP
    Old Welsh Guy and ahkip like this.
  13. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    here is the url to my blog viruz.com. Please help me check if my description is ok

Title: My diet blog

description: This blog is about the story of a overweight webmaster's battle with diet. It also contain health and exercise tips for reader

ahkip, Oct 15, 2006 IP
  14. dkessaris

dkessaris Peon

Best Answers:
    Just a couple of first observations.

My diet blog won't really work as a title, let's say that you are submitting at a category Blogs/Diet. All sites there will be blogs related to diet. The title should usually be Viruz (after all it's what you have used in the header)

Make sure you edit the about page, currently it's the default wordpress About.

Make sure that at least the top posts are unique

Description: Lose the first "This". Start like this "Blog about". Pay attention to grammar, for example not a overweight but an overweight. I also prefer one phrase descriptions (not everyone of course likes that).

To be honest for high profile directories like DMOZ where I would expect that the editor (If there is an editor for the category) is nutrition savvy you don't have a lot of chances of getting accepted with the current content.

dkessaris, Oct 15, 2006 IP
    ahkip likes this.