[HELP] Decide on best adsense placement for my new theme.

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by webcabbie, Dec 27, 2010.

So I am working on a new theme and I have decided to embed the adsense in the theme and take it off the sidebar widgets. Than maybe I can do something else with the sidebar widgets or just get rid of them all together.

That said I can`t decide on where to place the adsense to maximize CTR. I was thinking a link bar just below the page tabs?

Any insight anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Theme can be viewed at

bostontaxis.org
    Code (markup):

webcabbie, Dec 27, 2010 IP
  2. luisifer

luisifer Peon

Best Answers:
    Below the tab menu could be a good choice. But I personally choose the side bar to place the ads. Don't you consider putting image ads instead of text ads?

Anyway there is no way you know where is the best position until you run and measure it. You could use Google Analytics tool to constantly measure and optimize the position of your Adsense ads from time to time.

luisifer, Dec 27, 2010 IP
  3. webcabbie

webcabbie Active Member

Best Answers:
    The ads I placed were for text and image ads. I think it`s not showing image ads because its a new site with very little content or perhaps it is because I chose a colored background?

Not sure.

I can`t decide where I should place them. The Sidebar in my experience has no CTR. I am just afraid if I do the link bar between the header and the page tabs it will violate adsense tos.

webcabbie, Dec 28, 2010 IP
  4. Josh Fowler

Josh Fowler Peon

Best Answers:
    I have done quick a bit of testing with different ad placements and your best bet is to always use text ads at the beginning of an article, the end, or the best is always in the middle of it. That way as they are reading they will always see the ad. Normally people have a mind set now to ignore sidebar ads, they rarely get clicked now a days.

Josh Fowler, Dec 28, 2010 IP