1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What Steps Taken To Develop Large Site!?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by TeDWooD, Dec 26, 2010.

Two Questions ...

1. If i wanted to create a large site like Squidoo what steps would i have to take to make it a success (As in design not marketing)?

2. If i had to hire designers for everything would i have to get a patent so they don't steal the idea and make it themselves?

TeDWooD, Dec 26, 2010 IP
  2. RankingDomination

RankingDomination Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you already have an idea + $100,000 to invest in it? Most web designers are only that, designers. They don't want your idea if they are professional. If you are planning to make this a huge site, just get them to sign a contract first.

RankingDomination, Dec 26, 2010 IP
  3. imkazu

imkazu Peon

Best Answers:
    just have them sing a NDA re #1
    for your first question, its pretty much luck + execution

imkazu, Dec 26, 2010 IP
  4. MarketDomination

MarketDomination Peon

Best Answers:
    You will need someone to design the front end of the site (visual), as well as the back end (database). Anything worthwhile will cost you a minimum of $50k for those 2 alone. You'll need them to sign legal documents that protect you and the project. Legal fees alone will be at least $10k is my guess.
    What makes it a success depends on your idea and branding. You could spend $1 million on a site and it won't do anything if it isn't something that people aren't easily drawn to. Branding and information architecture are keys to making this a success.
    Hope that helps.

MarketDomination, Dec 26, 2010 IP
  5. jasonsluck

jasonsluck Peon

Best Answers:
    go to justanswers.com and talk to some lawyers there first, after that print up the advice they gave you and go visit a few real local lawyers. I know a really good laywer in NJ who specializes in internet law. If you want his info PM me.

jasonsluck, Dec 26, 2010 IP
  6. rabintoy

rabintoy Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to build a large authority website like twitter (Which was initially funded with only $100,000), or Like Facebook, or maybe like a community like on tutsplus.com

I recommend you to read "How To Build A Successful Blog Business"...yeah2x, I know what you're thinking, The book is only for making a blog. But no! I have read this book and I have told myself "If I just had the money".

This books guides you step by step on creating a business website, From Legal counseling, Funding, Getting some coders and designers, Getting funds from investors, and succesfully managing a business site...This works well for you! You need a large money to start up though.

rabintoy, Dec 27, 2010 IP
  7. JoesMillion

JoesMillion Peon

Best Answers:
    Why is this in the marketing forum when it's not even marketing related?

JoesMillion, Dec 27, 2010 IP
  8. cazort

cazort Peon

Best Answers:
    This is a ridiculously big question and I don't think it's possible for you to get a full answer here on this forum.

What type of design are you talking about? Programming? Graphic design? Designing an interactive website like squidoo is a lot of work. I have designed one fully launched interactive website and I have others in the works. It's very hard to find people who can do it for an affordable price. Some relatively minimal sites, like Buzzle, might be do-able by a single person.

This is one area where your own knowledge and expertise are indispensable. I doubt I would have been able to afford to hire someone to create a site as complex as my tea site, RateTea.net. However, I launched it after working only part-time for only a few months. Anything you can do yourself is going to help you...even if you end up hiring someone to do it, knowing the skills yourself will help you communicate with people, and will help you to locate talent, will ensure you pay a fair price and don't get ripped off, and will also help you supervise, oversee, or work with the people you hire.

If you're worried about someone stealing the idea? You're working with the wrong people. Work only with people you trust. I've never had anyone betray me in a business relationship. It only happens if you work with absolute sleazeballs, which will only happen if you're conducting yourself in a dishonorable manner. The best way to surround yourself with people of integrity is to have integrity yourself. Live out integrity in your life and you won't have to worry about this sort of thing.

cazort, Dec 27, 2010 IP