1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best Payment Processor for Online Membership Site

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by fireboat, Dec 24, 2010.

I'm sure this topic has probably been brought up in this forum before, but several searches have left me overwhelmed and a little confused. (I'm a newbie on this topic.)

My situation - I have a website that has excellent traffic. It offers free materials/resources to visitors. The vast majority of my competitors offer similar resources, but they charge a subscription fee for membership. I do make a little money with adsense, but not nearly as much as I would if I charged a subscription fee.

In the near future, I want to switch my website from a "free site" to a "membership site." I'll still offer some free materials, but I will charge a $20 yearly fee for "full access."

I have ZERO experience "selling" things or accepting credit cards online. I understand I will probably need a merchant account.

I would like to be able to accept paypal as well as credit cards - if that's possible. 95% of the subscribers will be American, I suspect.

Question 1 - What "merchant account companies" do you have experience with - good or bad? Wondering which ones I should look at closely and consider.

Question 2 - What are the fees like? I mean, when I read these sites, I'm confused as hell. If I make a $20 sale - about how much will I pocket after their fees?

Question 3 - What kind of work will I have to do on my end when I have customers buying/selling? Returns? Sending in daily reports? Other?

Question 4 - What do I need to know and/or learn about merchant accounts?

Thanks so much for any responses.

And happy holidays!

Tim

EDIT: I checked out the list at http://webscopia.com/2010/11/merchant-accounts-accepts-payments-online/ . It's informative, but I am still overwhelmed. Plimus and 2checkout.com both looked promising... anyone had experience with them?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
    fireboat, Dec 24, 2010 IP
  2. riteshtechie

riteshtechie Peon

Best Answers:
    riteshtechie, Dec 25, 2010 IP
  3. Agent47

Agent47 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Stay away from paypal.. just google them and you will find countless horror stories about them :)

Agent47, Dec 26, 2010 IP
  4. instant87

instant87 Active Member

Best Answers:
    There's horror stories about any company. As long as you don't do anything stupid, PayPal won't do anything to you.

instant87, Dec 26, 2010 IP
  5. riteshtechie

riteshtechie Peon

Best Answers:
    not true.

search about paypal holding money

riteshtechie, Dec 27, 2010 IP
  6. fireboat

fireboat Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advice everyone. And riteshtechie - Thanks for the youtube links - these are helpful.

I don't think paypal will work for me. Paypal "standard" would link customers tothe paypal site to pay. I definitely don't want that. I want them to stay on my site.

Paypal advanced wil allow them to stay on my site. It looks perfect! Except for one thing - my business has zero credit. We have terrific cash flow, but we've never taken out a business loan or had business credit cards or anything like that. Paypal advanced would do a credit check - and I suspect they'd deny me because we have no credit history.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
    fireboat, Dec 27, 2010 IP
  7. Global merchant

Global merchant Peon

Best Answers:
    You need a CRM (customer relation management) software there's a lot of good ones out there but its up to what you like, after that you can go with a company that does payment processing and they can find you a bank along with payment processing by linking you in to there payment gateway. depending on if your doing high risk to low risk payment processing will vary the rate you are granted. We do all types of payment processing from cruises, auctions, membership sites, ...

www.globalmerchantsolution.com

Global merchant, Dec 29, 2010 IP
  8. penlove

penlove Peon

Best Answers:
    Paypal is the best solution. If you don't do anything shady, paypal will NOT take you money. Just be honest and sincere.

penlove, Dec 29, 2010 IP
  9. Darel

Darel Guest

Best Answers:
    I find these suggestions very useful as i am going to Open an online account very soon.The forum has very interesting topics of discussion and i am looking forward to spend my time to discuss matters.

Darel, Dec 30, 2010 IP