1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

After 4 years...

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by pher, Dec 14, 2010.

1. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeh, just imagine from now on anon must review 6 obligatory sites instead of 3 per year.
    First of all if they all do the same, 2 years waiting period will be cut in a half and if they really volunteer
    their time and review another 6 sites.... well, we all would start singing Kumbaya happily ever after.

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Dec 23, 2010 IP
  2. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Or was that like yourself, remember I am still there some editors threw their toys out of the pram and left. Happy Christmas.

Anonymously, Dec 24, 2010 IP
  3. Ledlauzis

Ledlauzis Member

Best Answers:
    If you have really good website you can get listed on DMOZ.

If you have adsense site of affiliate site there is really small chance that you will get approved, but if it is your local business website then you will get listed really fast.

And as my experience shows, use your company email, no gmail and hotmail or whatever will not get accepted.

Ledlauzis, Dec 26, 2010 IP
  4. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm aware of no such rule. Anybody, not just the website owner or promoter, can suggest that a website be listed.

jimnoble, Dec 26, 2010 IP
    tattoos likes this.
  5. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No... while I was an editor, I actually let people know why their sites would not be listed. So yeah, stop trying to throw the blame at others. Stop trying to make everything about me... the topic at hand is about the ODP, and as you are supposedly an editor lets talk about YOU rather than an ex-editor like myself.

So like I said, if you actually cared about the end user, wouldn't you be doing more?

Qryztufre, Dec 26, 2010 IP
  6. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    I don't need to be that centre of attention, I post here as an editor, not sure why an ex-editor wants to spend such a lot of time here unless that is to be the centre of attention.

But back to worthwhile conversation...interesting that Jim (I am sure we both wonder where all this rubbish that people believe about DMOZ gets started), if it were true that the email made any difference I certainly would have to go back and check most of my 30,000 listings!!!!

Anonymously, Dec 26, 2010 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    As this is not an official means of communication for editors, is there any difference in me being here or you? Seriously, can you get any more irrelevant? What is the difference in my posting here then you? Or anyone else for that matter? Are you on drugs or something?

Maybe that would be in the best interest of all... but then, I know you were talking out your backside and have no motivation to do anything of the sort. You'd rather post here on Digital Point about how there is no reason I should be posting here *rolls eyes*

Qryztufre, Dec 26, 2010 IP
  8. pher

pher Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Boy this thread kind of derailed a bit. :)

pher, Dec 27, 2010 IP
  9. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    LOL man, they sure know how to turn celebration time into battle ground.

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Dec 27, 2010 IP
  10. Slot

Slot Peon

Best Answers:
    I've tried to get my best websites in DMOZ for 5 years now. Never hear, and never get in. Waste of time, will stop now.

Slot, Dec 30, 2010 IP
  11. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Does that mean you have broken the guidelines, that you said you had read, on each submission and submitted several times over that period? If so you might have been branded as a spammer, and we press the eject for ever button on such sites.

SUBMIT ONCE.

It can take from a few days to a few years for a review for a possible listing.

If you want to speed up the process then become an editor, we all work in our spare time, it's our hobby.

But do you mind if I tell you how many hours you MUST spend on your site this week? Because it sounds like you are telling me and thousands of other editors how much of their freely given spare time they have to spend so that your site can get listed, despite breaking our suggesting guidelines.

Anonymously, Dec 31, 2010 IP
  12. tattoos

tattoos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I actually received an email from a DMOZ editor 7 days ago, which means it was sent the day before Christmas. Now I don't know about anyone else but, I don't like doing paid work on Christmas eve, let alone unpaid work.
    The email was brief, to the point and helpful because it highlighted something I had overlooked.
    The editors name in the email corresponds to a users name here at DP so I won't mention it. +rep

The email...
    "Thanks for suggesting that we list (removed).com within our directory. We list such websites where they are based, irrespective of area covered, but we can't find this information on your website.

If you ever add it, preferably by adding an address to a Contact Us page, please re-suggest your website to the corresponding category.
    "
    ------------------------

So I guess when you say "we", you actually mean "you".

Cheers
    James

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
    tattoos, Jan 1, 2011 IP
  13. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You guessed wrong.

So the Editor chose to do you a good turn and point out something that was holding your site back, from being successfully reviewed. That was very nice of him or her :)

I certainly wont communicate with people suggesting sites because it always ends up in an arguement......they always try and prove why it should be listed because of blah blah blah.

I tried to help but after being bitten 4-5 times, i learnt :(

snooks, Jan 1, 2011 IP
  14. tattoos

tattoos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No I didn't guess wrong. "We" is a blanket statement. And by you saying that it always ends in an argument and you have been bitten before suggests that you have emailed people at some stage... Whether you choose to still do it or not, is totally up to you.

The person who emailed me learned to use a sig that says "My return address is a black hole". ;)

Cheers
    James

tattoos, Jan 1, 2011 IP
  15. zmiller

zmiller Guest

Best Answers:
    Wow... DMOZ? Haven't hear that in years. I guess it can help, but directories seem kinda outdated.

zmiller, Jan 1, 2011 IP
  16. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    I know who sent the email, though not I, I have seen that editor say that he will sometimes point out to site owners that an address is required for the site to be listed in Regional. If you reread my comment, as I think Snooks too, it was made in context of if a site is listed or rejected. The email you received should, as you have done, be taken to try and help you with what is a very listable site with only one small change, therefore helpful. Editors are generally discouraged from communicating. I have on a very very small number of occasions, taken a leaf from the editors book, and dropped a note to a site owner if something small has prevented a very listable site from being listed but in context of someone saying that they have not heard anything from a DMOZ editor I can assure you that is the much, much more general situation.

Anonymously, Jan 2, 2011 IP
  17. jatrasmara

jatrasmara Peon

Best Answers:
    I have submited 2 of my site, since 1 year ago... Till now, it's not listed, lol.... :D

jatrasmara, Jan 3, 2011 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Hehe... yeah, WAY Off base. "WE" as a blanket statement is certainly a bad one. That places you (or in this case, Anon) as a 'spokesmen' for the directory as WE does in fact imply ALL, when that is clearly NOT the case. Next time try "most of us" or even "some of us" but in the end it's best to use things like "I" or "me" as those two are not implying anything other then your own twisted views.

Strange... ya know, if you say "hey, can't list ya in regional, unless ya got ur address on ur page" likely will not be replied to with hostility...

maybe it was how you come across? I mean, it's clear here on Digital Point you are not such a nice person & all, so maybe people are a jerk to you cuz you come across as jerk sometimes yourself? Just a thought....

Qryztufre, Jan 3, 2011 IP