1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does Web Hosting (location) matter for SEO or SERP ?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by lumpy, Dec 22, 2010.

Hello, I just have this simple question.

Does Web Hosting and server location matter for SEO and better search engine result position ?

Let's say my site has English content, and my target people for marketing are Americans. If I switch to an American server (hosting), will this help for better SEO ?

lumpy, Dec 22, 2010 IP
  2. timur1505

timur1505 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just as an example let’s say that you live in the UK and you’re trying to rank in the UK. You get your hosting from the USA, someone like bluehost who do webhosting in USA won’t be good if you’re targeting visitors in the UK.

While bluehost will be fast for people in the USA, it won’t be fast in the UK.

Google now considers load time of a webpage a ranking factor.

I would always choose hosting in the country that you are trying to rank for.

timur1505, Dec 22, 2010 IP
  3. lumpy

lumpy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What if my site it's good for everyone and has no geo targeting, since I'm only offering information and not trying to sell anything ?

lumpy, Dec 22, 2010 IP
  4. timur1505

timur1505 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Like i said load speed is a ranking factor, and webhosting in different countries affects load speed.

If you set your geo targeting to the USA, and have hosting in the USA, you'll have a better chance of ranking in the USA

You can rank number 1 in the UK for a specific keyword, but you might not even rank at all in the USA

timur1505, Dec 22, 2010 IP
    hypokill and lumpy like this.
  5. hypokill

hypokill Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's never crossed my mind before. I will have to remember this for my future projects. Cheers

hypokill, Dec 22, 2010 IP
  6. riczsabido

riczsabido Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Don't worry about that...its only minimal. If you're worried about the loading time, don't put too many images on your posts and avoid large ones.

Start producing top quality content and drive high quality backlinks to it and you'll be fine.

Start where you are, with what you have, and with what you know. :)

riczsabido, Dec 23, 2010 IP
  7. sushilfame

sushilfame Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    in one word , YES

sushilfame, Dec 23, 2010 IP
  8. Animal888

Animal888 Member

Best Answers:
    We've regularly swapped sites between US and UK and have never seen any noticeable effect on ranking. Load speed is only detrimental if it's very slow.

Animal888, Dec 23, 2010 IP
  9. johneva

johneva Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My advise if you were selling stuff would be to have different sites hosted in different countrys, so you have one for the US and one for the UK and europe maybe even.

Atleast you target the main places you want to target and then the load times will be good for all and you will also be able to do on page optimization targeted towards each country also. Thats an expencive solution but ultimatly the best option if you can.

But as your not, your just offering info, I would not worry if your info is that good its worth everybody in the world finding it then they will anyway.

johneva, Dec 23, 2010 IP